Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2001 8:00:25 AM EDT
Im SERIOUSLY considering buying the new Wilson Combat TL-15 Lightweight Tactical with green Armor-Tuff coating. They are running about $1725 clams. Take a look at wilsoncombat.com to see what Im talking 'bout. $1725 Jeesh that's alot of dinero man......
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If I had to drop that money for a post-ban
I would look at Advanced Armaments{stoner?] AR-15s
I hear they are the absolute bomb of post-bans.

Sorry,never messed with Wilson Combat AR's,so I can't
really hep you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Get an copy of this months Gun Tests.  They did a review on several AR's and the Wilson received a "Do Not Buy".  
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Get an copy of this months Gun Tests.  They did a review on several AR's and the Wilson received a "Do Not Buy".  
View Quote

No way!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  According to them: overpriced, & not accurate. Buy an ASA AR instead.

Thats what they wrote...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#6]
You can pay someone to put your gun together, or you can do it yourself.

Get a Bushmaster. They're leading the pack these days. Choose the basic system that you want and add what you want to it.

If you want a green gun, get a can of spray paint. Black is THE color. And the finish is tough as nails.

For $17.5 you can buy TWO Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have shot one.  Nice weapon however; I was not impressed.  I would buy a bushy and put on the stuff I like.  For that money you could have a complete setup with a Trijicon and a couple K rounds.  IMHO it is a waste of money, just my $. 02
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I haven't fooled with Wilson Combat rifles either, but I'm with the others on this board that $1750 is a hell of a chunk of cash.  I personally like DPMS's rifles but that's just my opinion.  You can't go wrong with the major manufacturers (I like the ABCD idea).  Use the money you save on mags and ammo.  My $.02.

ques
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#9]
A gun dealer friend of mine has one, not sure of the exact model but it is very nice. Personally I can't see paying that much for a post-ban but it is real sweet and comes with a 1 moa guarantee and it does that and better.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Read a review on these in Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement - did not get very high marks.  The test rifle that Wilson sent to the reviewer had jamming problems.

Why not get a bushmaster and some really nice add on accessories for that same price?

You could get a bushy, Trijicon ACOG, Reflex/Aimpoint and still have cash left for some other goodies  (like ammo) for that $1750.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
$1725 Jeesh that's alot of dinero man......
View Quote

I have to go with the rest  of the crew on this one... Get a Colt or Bushmaster and set it up RIGHT... You can get the rifle(First shelf) AND all the goodies and still have cash left over for ammo.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$1725 Jeesh that's alot of dinero man......
View Quote

I have to go with the rest  of the crew on this one... Get a Colt or Bushmaster and set it up RIGHT... You can get the rifle(First shelf) AND all the goodies and still have cash left over for ammo.
View Quote

That's what I would do. You'll probably come out with a much better rifle this way and get great BM customer support to back it up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Can anybody say ... "AR15.com Limited Edition Group Purchase" rifle.  $660 each. You could almost get three for the ridiculous price of the Wilson.  One to hang on the wall to look at and one in a holster on each hip.  No wait,  wrong fantasy. One to shoot & one for backup.  Yeah, that's it.

Read some of the threads from guys in the first group of 100 who have their rifles already.

Norm
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't give your money to Bill Wilson! Most people I've talked to that bought pistols from him ended up sending them back, a few times. That's ridiculous. I couldn't justify spending that much money. Buy a flat top target rifle w/ a good sight, and your favorite length handle top for combat gun.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I am with the rest of the board.  Buy a bushmaster, load it up with a trijicon, otis cleaning kit and about 2000 rounds of AE 62grn from ammoman.com.  You will be much happier!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I would rather spend the money on a ZM weapons kit. My .02 worth.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Heck for that money or a couple hundred more youcan buy 2 pre-ban Colts that will appreciate in value.  Thats what I'd do.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
For $1725!
why don't you just buy a pre-ban AR for that price.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Noting the fact that the Wilson you spec is a Cadillac model, I can say that the price of a regular run of the mill AR15 in these times is still overpriced, but we live with that. Buying that Wilson for that price would be a nightmare that w(sh)ould haunt any sane man.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bobby Vincent:
A gun dealer friend of mine has one, not sure of the exact model but it is very nice. Personally I can't see paying that much for a post-ban but it is real sweet and comes with a 1 moa guarantee and it does that and better.
View Quote
                                            Armalite does this for considerably less......personally, i`d buy the legp, add a good upper (arm/bushy/dpms) buy a few more "goodies" and still have plenty left to throw a great party for me & my rkba buddies!!!!!!!.....[beer]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, the Wilsons are way overpriced. Get a Les Baer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#23]
You can buy the new Bushmaster M4 post-ban with legal fix Telescoping stock for about $700+ plus you have 1k left to spend then you can buy 10k rounds of ammo for 1k.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]
DO NOT BUY THE WILSON COMBAT AR - as stated above, in Gun Test magazine it shot like a piece of crap.  It shot just a little better then a Mini-14.  I'm suspecting that Wilson Combat is going to crap.  Just got their Tactical Muzzle Break installed on my AR and they trashed my parkerized finish.  When they returned my upper to me they essentially put it in a box with almost no padding and mailed it to me.  Something wrong is going on there, in a big way.  Go with Bushmaster all the way!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Here`s what you REALLY want, bud.....armalite-m15a2.....you can build it any way you want, but after you start shooting it, you might not care to! hey, the ORIGINAL is still the best!!!!!!!........[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#27]
geez- for $1700 - why not get a pre-ban colt 6520?  or 2.5 legp carbines - or get a colt chrome lined mt6551 and a legp and have money left over for ammo and mags?

steve
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Read a review on these in Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement - did not get very high marks.  The test rifle that Wilson sent to the reviewer had jamming problems.

Hey ESP, That rag also called the Carbon-15 "AR-15 Perfection!" Their review is the reason I bought (and now am returning) my POS carbon-15.
Don't believe everything you read.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Bill Wilson has made lots of money buying parts from vendors, slapping guns together out of them and putting his name on the finished product.  You aren't getting a better product for the exhorbitant price he asks, just one that says "Wilson Combat".  Big deal.  Bushmaster, DPMS, Armalite, and Rock River Arms are all producing a much better product for lots less money.  Les Baer makes top-of-the-line stuff, but you pay more for it.  In his case, it's probably worth it.  You can buy a couple of post-ban guns from the above manufacturers for the same money as the Wilson, or a pre-ban and lots of mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I saw some WILSON COMBAT rifles at a gunshow last year.
They were built on PWA lowers, the uppers looked like the same cheap stuff you see at the shows being peddled by M&A parts and others.
I was NOT impressed.
[size=5]GET A PRE-BAN BUSHMASTER ! ! ! [/size=5]
...or Colt, Eagle/Armalite.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm sure Wilson builds some fine weapons, AR's and 1911's both. But a pistol he sent a gun magazine for testing and evaluation wouldn't run and had to be sent back for adjustment. Of course the magazine excuses for him but if I paid the price for a custom firearm of any kind I would be highly upset if I had to send it back to make it work.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Two words:  PRE...BAN.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#33]
BUY PRE-BAN.  For that money, at least you can get a shorty folder.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Where's Rock River in all this? Everyone is recommending ABC but no Rock River?! Then why the hell should I buy the LEGP?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Rock River Arms is good, too.

Maybe:
A rmalite
B ushmaster
C olt
D PMS
R ock River Arms
[?]
Can't beat a stock NM two-stage trigger
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Read a review on these in Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement - did not get very high marks. The test rifle that Wilson sent to the reviewer had jamming problems.

Reply by RYANG:
Hey ESP, That rag also called the Carbon-15 "AR-15 Perfection!" Their review is the reason I bought (and now am returning) my POS carbon-15.

Rebuttal by ESP:
But I thought that if its in print then it must be the TRUTH ! !
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Read a review on these in Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement - did not get very high marks. The test rifle that Wilson sent to the reviewer had jamming problems.

Reply by RYANG:

Rebuttal by ESP:
But I thought that if its in print then it must be the TRUTH ! !

RyanG's Dejected answer to prior rebuttal:
You got me! Real world experience is once again trounced by a tired cliche! [;D]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll tell my sad Wilson Combat story:

I sent an upper to WC to have their BATF approved Brake perm installed. When they received the upper they called and told my they were swamped with orders and asked if they could subcontract the order to a local gunsmith they said they used often. I gave them the go ahead and they sent my upper to Carter Custom. A couple weeks later I got the upper back. The muzzle brake looks great and was flawlessly installed. but the rear sight was broken and rear sight parts were lost in the process. I'll never know if it was Wilson or Carter Custom that broke the rear sight, but I wont do business with either again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top