Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 9:20:49 PM EDT
Just got done watching the DVD .

Junk Science , but entertaining none the less .

One thumb up
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
one thumb down
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the Day After Next...

MT
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Worse than junk science.  It is deliberate FALSE propaganda during an election year.

I don't have a problem with people trying to push their view, I just hate it when they lie to do so.

how did that movie have to do with politics?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont know if Im going to watch it yet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Worse than junk science.  It is deliberate FALSE propaganda during an election year.

I don't have a problem with people trying to push their view, I just hate it when they lie to do so.

Greenhouse emissions are hardly a new topic , and I didn't see where they made it overly
political .

They had to have a basis for the story line . I didn't see it as anything more then what it was .
A Disaster flick , and as such the special effects are what I rated it on .

But as usual .............. My 2¢
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how did that movie have to do with politics?

www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14124,00.html

Gore Stumps for "Tomorrow"

by Joal Ryan
May 17, 2004, 5:30 PM PT

It's the most surprising plot twist of The Day After Tomorrow: Rupert Murdoch working together with Al Gore.

To be accurate, Murdoch and Gore aren't technically working together, but they are working toward the same end: The conservative media mogul's selling a movie, and the liberal former vice president's helping him selling it.

The movie is The Day After Tomorrow, a $125 million summer disaster flick from Murdoch's Fox, opening May 28.

Paul Dergarabedian, of the box-office tracking firm Exhibitor Relations, calls the would-be blockbuster "a popcorn movie with a message."

Its message: The world's going to hell in a hand basket. Tornadoes in Los Angeles. The ice age in Manhattan. Earthquakes, tidal waves, unbelievable gridlock.

The cause of all this consternation, Dennis Quaid's professor character in the film tells us, is global warming. The movie was said to be inspired by the cataclysmic tome The Coming Global Superstorm.

Murdoch presumably is hoping the special effects, if not the topic, will fatten the Fox bottom line. Gore definitely is hoping the topic, if not the end-of-the-world imagery, will make audiences think about the environmental bottom line.

"I do want to take advantage of the opportunity presented by the movie...to talk about what the real issues are," Gore told reporters in a telephone press conference last week.

To that end, Gore has teamed with the activist group, MoveOn.org, to publicize an education campaign on global warming and the greenhouse effect timed to the release of The Day After Tomorrow.

MoveOn.org volunteers are being encouraged to buy tickets to the film's Memorial Day opening weekend, and hand out informational flyers to other moviegoers.

The flyers, MoveOn.org executive director Peter Schurman told reporters, "will answer questions people will have" after seeing the film. (Make that, questions about global warming. It's unlikely the organization knows what Day After costar Jake Gyllenhaal's intentions are toward Kirsten Dunst.)

Schurman said Fox has been notified of its plans, and its representatives invited to a May 24 so-called town hall rally in New York City featuring Gore and environmentalist Bobby Kennedy Jr.

Fox, for its part, has agreed to screen the film for Gore and a small group of others before the film's gala premiere, also scheduled for May 24 in New York City.

Outside of that lone coordinated effort, the two sides will go their own ways. Fox will push Day After as a big-budget summer flick from the director of Independence Day (with a nod to the environment through its partnership with Future Forests, a London-based company that shows businesses how to minimize their carbon-dioxide emissions); Gore's camp will push Day After as an important, if exaggerated, cautionary tale.

If MoveOn.org is a group with a political bent unlike Murdoch's, his studio isn't griping.

"We think it's wonderful for the movie," Fox spokeswoman Florence Grace says of the MoveOn.org campaign. "The issues addressed [make the film] all the more topical, all the more interesting. We think it's great."

Certainly mountains of op-ed articles and months of pre-release protest only served to fuel box-office receipts for Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ ($368.9 million and counting through last weekend).

No one thinks Gore and MoveOn.org are going to supply a Passion-like bump for Day After, but Mitch Litvak, president of the entertainment marketing firm The L.A. Office, says the free publicity, even in the form of an environmental lecture, can't hurt.

"[Among] younger moviegoers there's such a strong interest in seeing the film based on the early advance trailer, adults may not think it's right for them," said Litvak. "What MoveOn does is make it relevant to them."

"It's kind of like the Good Housekeeping seal of approval."

Fox'll take it, politics be damned.

Says Dergarabedian: "Any extra butt you can put in a movie seat is an extra 10 bucks in the pocket of the studio and the theater."
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I give it three thumbs down.  Second worst movie I wasted my money on this year.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I liked it. Even thought it as phony as a $3 bill. You just have kind of use a little bit of imagination in addition to the watching the rest of the movie.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Overall the movie sucked, but it did have its moments.

One thing I thought was really stupid was when they were looking on that russian ship for medicine, and then the wolves came.

Okay so those people were cold and hadnt eaten much in a while, yet when the wolves came they were all like "run away."

I'd like to think that if I were in a similar situation I would have improvised some weapons and tried to kill the wolves.

They could have eaten them and made some extra clothing from the fur.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you do, don't buy it.  I wouldn't even rent it.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I like to bootleg everything too, I just use the all you can rent deal though, downloading takes too damn long
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The funny thing that got me was the fake snow. If you watch the Jim Cameron's movie the Titanic, he used real cold water to simulate the ocean, and the actor has breathes of steam when they exhaled, but in this movie you see none of that, even though it was supposed to be extremely cold. They reall pastic snow.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I like to bootleg everything too, I just use the all you can rent deal though, downloading takes too damn long

I saw the Day After Tomorrow on computer a few months after it hit the theater.  It wasn't a screener either.  That's been my experience for the last year since I got into P2P.  Somehow folks are able to get a hold of digital copies while they are still in the theaters and before they are available on DVD.

They don't take THAT long to download.  Just start it and forget about it.  In a couple of days(or less), it's ready to watch.  Works best if you leave your computer on all the time and have a high speed internet connection.

To anyone who reads this, don't ask me how to do it as it is illegal and I would never do it myself.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]
gay.

gotta love the extra propaganda that they thrown in.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Watched it last night with my Wife and 3 Dogs. Four thumbs and six paws down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top