Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 8:29:12 PM EDT
Reading the thread about the guy wanting to build a rubberband machinegun got me thinking. I was reminded of the fact that gatling guns arent actually machine guns because they have a hand crank. So what if you mount a motor to turn the hand crank at a very high rate ala the minigun. Would it still be exempt from the machinegun restrictions?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. ATF made a ruling on that, its a no go. I don't know the details.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
dang.

well I guess I can always just turn really fast.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nope. ATF made a ruling on that, its a no go. I don't know the details.

Yeah, along with enforcement of laws, the ATF now rules on laws and creates laws.  Why do we need congress and the courts anymore?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
ok how about a long gun with 3 rotating barrels with pistol grip that was crank activated and fed from an ammo hopper hence no mag.  Could this be like a poor mans machingun? lol just my crack head idea of the week.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ok how about a long gun with 3 rotating barrels with pistol grip that was crank activated and fed from an ammo hopper hence no mag.  Could this be like a poor mans machingun? lol just my crack head idea of the week.

Well these type of things already exist. you can purchase a kit to put two ak-47's on a mount a crank fire them.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
And just in case you ask.....NO!!!....you can't fire no potato guns either!
(But I think watermelon caterpaults are still OK)

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well these type of things already exist. you can purchase a kit to put two ak-47's on a mount a crank fire them.

I wonder if it would work with the drum magazines
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Like the other guys said, nope. Besides, why do that when you can just go out to your local Wal Mart and buy a minigun??
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
From www.atf.gov/firearms/rules/2004-5.htm

ATF and its predecessor agency, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), have historically held that the original, crank-operated Gatling Gun, and replicas thereof, are not automatic firearms or machineguns as defined. See Rev. Rul. 55-528, 1955-2 C.B. 482. The original Gatling Gun is a rapid-firing, hand-operated weapon. The rate of fire is regulated by the rapidity of the hand cranking movement, manually controlled by the operator. It is not a "machinegun" as that term is defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845(b) because it is not a weapon that fires automatically.

The Minigun is not a Gatling Gun. It was not produced under the 1862 - 1893 patents of the original Gatling Gun. While using a basic design concept of the Gatling Gun, the Minigun does not incorporate any of Gatling's original components and its feed mechanisms are entirely different. Critically, the Minigun shoots more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger, as prescribed by 26 U.S.C. 5845(b).

That's why the  Calico "two-twenty-two" (two unstocked Ruger 10-22's side-by-side with a crank handle that actuated an alternating cam which would fire the rifles through their original trigger actions is legal - a motor is not.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
So cool, but SOOOO illegal...sorry man...had the same idea myself...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top