Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 6:35:55 PM EDT
DENVER - With just 21 days left until an election in which every vote will count, the 9News I-Team has uncovered voter registration fraud that could cause chaos on Election Day for hundreds, possibly thousands of Colorado voters.

9News has discovered a record number of fraudulent voter-registrations across the state. Secretary of State Donetta Davidson tells 9News she is concerned about what the I-Team has uncovered and wants those responsible prosecuted. "It has just gone rampant," she told reporter Deborah Sherman in an interview Monday afternoon.

Most of the fraud has come from registration drives, where people at grocery stores or on the streets ask you to sign up. 9News has learned many workers have re-registered voters multiple times by changing or making up information about them. 9News has documented 719 cases of potentially fraudulent forms at county election offices show fraudulent names, addresses, social security numbers or dates of birth in Denver, Douglas, Adams, Boulder and Lake counties. Information from other counties is still coming in.

Some voter registration application forms are completely bogus. Others belong to legitimate voters, who have had one or two facts changed that could affect their registration when they show up at the polls November 2nd. Tom Stanislawski registered to vote six years ago. But this summer, someone signed him up again and changed his party affiliation. "My concern would be I'd walk in November 2nd and be unable to vote," he said.

Some of the registration drive workers earn $2 per application or about $10 an hour. One woman admitted to forging three people's names on about 40 voter registration applications. Kym Cason says she was helping her boyfriend earn more money from a get-out-the-vote organization called ACORN or Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now. ACORN works with low or moderate-income families on housing issues. Cason said her extra registrations earned her boyfriend $50.

Gerald Obi says workers pressured him to keep registering to vote so they too could earn extra cash. When asked how many times he had registered this year, Obi said, "about 35 times."

ACORN's state director said they are victims of the fraud as well and told 9News the group is cooperating with local investigators. Ross Fitzgerald says the group has fired workers for the fraud. "Our goal is to register as many people as we can," said Fitzgerald. "If they're fraudulent, that hurts our numbers."

Clerk and Recorders from several counties met Monday with Secretary of State Donetta Davidson to discuss this problem, and the problem of felons registering to vote. "I have to question whether we should be allowing people to accept money for voter registration," said Douglas County Clerk and Recorder Carole Murray.

Colorado Secretary of State Donetta Davidson agreed and said she will be looking at ways to reform the system
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
This election keeps getting worse.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Strange, noone ever mentions if most of the fraud was from voters falsely registered as Democrats or Republicans?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the only legitimate argument in favor of a national I.D. card that I can think of.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have seen any of the ACORN folks you would have to assume they are dems.

In a related story in Nevada they were throwing Democrat Registrations in the garbage.

I also heard that Pennsylvania sent out absentee ballots that had nader listed on some and not on others.  The report I heard said they were going to remail the absentee ballots and they had 30 days to get them back.  30 days from now is November 12th.

I am thinking we will not know who the next POTUS is until December unless Bush or Kerry wins by an overwhelming majority.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Here in Charlotte, the ACORN folks can be seen canvasing for voter registration.  Only problem is they only approach minorities.  Sounds kinda racist to me, to think that all minorities are stupid enough to vote for Democrats.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top