Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/12/2004 5:56:37 PM EDT
Curious about member's close calls with death. Please post your most near lethal expirences.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I was married twice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
he lives a couple of doors down but , i don't think he has my phone number.

J
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was married twice.

Once is enough for me!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Everytime my mother in law comes over, I ask her "if youre not in a big hurry, would you mind cleaning the toilets before you go".
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Tried bump-firing a pistol. Nearly shot myself in the face. I'm stupid. 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
had a blood and spinal born form of meningits...family actually told to make funeeral arrangements...14 day in icu...absolute full recovery, only 3rd time in history, got my picture in med books and shit
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
My entire life is a controlled disaster.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#9]
well between the many IED's small arms fire, RPG attacks, sniper fire, land mines, and mortars which story do you want to hear?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Was hunting once upon a time, heard boom!

Bullet struck tree beside me.

Fast forward to next season...

Asshole got into my vehicle with Marlin .30-30 loaded and hammer cocked, pointed at my head twice.

I didn't notice, guy in back seat told me later.

I don't hunt or fool with assholes any more.

Danny

P.S. Is that close enough?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
had a blood and spinal born form of meningits...family actually told to make funeeral arrangements...14 day in icu...absolute full recovery, only 3rd time in history, got my picture in med books and shit

Better go buy a lottery ticket.

The wife wants to know if you were studied by docs in an attempt to understand how you recovered and find a way to treat future cases of said meningitis.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Roll a car back in 93, going about 90 on a gravel road 10 oclock at night.  We rolled about 6 times and hit a tree about  6 foot in the air.  Everyone walked away.  Wiplash, and concusion from breaking the seatbelt and hitting the driver in the head with my head, I also spidered the windshield with the top of my head.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a cancer surviver...so I guess that was a close call.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Asshole got into my vehicle with Marlin .30-30 loaded and hammer cocked, pointed at my head twice.

Danny

My question is:  Why did your buddy in the backseat only tell you about it later?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I woke up for a real nice nap once, the only problem was I was sitting in the driver seat of my truck and heading toward a huge oak tree at 45ish. Luckely I swerved and missed, upon closser insepction of the tree it was missing some bark where my tire had rubbed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danny

My question is:  Why did your buddy in the backseat only tell you about it later?

+1 I guess thats why you said fools. I would have said "What the fuck are you doing you fucking idiot" than told you to pull over and got his ass out of the car and drove off.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danny

He was the Assholes friend, did not know me from Adam. Told me when Ahole was in his house later and we were outside.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Sepsis/septic shock from a kidney infection, complicated by some very resistant bacteria.  I was extremely close to death.  As I laid in the ICU gasping for breath, I whispered to my sister the combo to the gun safe, told her who to call to liquidate my gun collection, made my final arrangements and tried to console my family as they huddled around the bed crying.

Not fun.

Fortunately though, I somehow surprised my doctors and pulled through.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sepsis/septic shock from a kidney infection, complicated by some very resistant bacteria.  I was extremely close to death.  As I laid in the ICU gasping for breath, I whispered to my sister the combo to the gun safe, told her who to call to liquidate my gun collection, made my final arrangements and tried to console my family as they huddled around the bed crying.

Not fun.

Fortunately though, I somehow surprised my doctors and pulled through.

Gald you made it!

Miracle?

Danny
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#21]
When I was about 12 my dad took me to work with him (excavating). At the end of the day he was fueling the dozer and said, "Can you bring the [pickup] truck up here?" Hell yeah! Well, I drove it up the hill and jumped out and left it in drive. He about shit. I took off after it, and managed to catch up to it and dive headlong into the front bench seat. Before I can sit up it goes over the edge of the gravel pit, fortunately on about a 45 degree incline rather than a straight drop. But it's going sideways along the incline, and I'm looking straight down at the pit. Finally sit up and STAND on the brakes. He had to haul it off the hill with the dozer.

Probably not all that close, really, but close enough for a story.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#22]
lots of ass holes coming thru my neighborhood stealing stuff out of yards anyways I  see a big guy picking up my bikes then walking out of my yard thru my window.

I come out my door with my glock at my side and I am like "whats going on buddy" Whoops I see his gas and electric shirt.

My bad, I guess he knocked the bikes over and was just moving them
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I was in the wrong place and it must have been the wrong time.................................
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danny

I was shooting last weekend, and a boltgunner and his girlfriend we about ten benches to my right.
He went somewhere, then came back, and I looked over just in time to see him pull that barrel out of the horizontal pointing at my head position.
My card could have gotten punched and I never would have known it.
Geez.

That's why I'm still pissed about it whenever I think about it.

I want to see mine coming!

It's better to give than receive, ya know.

Danny

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess the closest I've ever come to seeing the Grim Reaper was during the summer of 1989 while I was a pistol instructor at USNA.

One of the Plebes I was teaching to shoot the 1911 was firing away to my right as I was assisting the other Plebe I was teaching to my left. The guy on my right says, "Sir, my gun won't shoot!"

I look to my right, and the asshole had the weapon pointing at my belly with the safety off and his finger on the trigger!

I slowly took his hand and turned the weapon down range, while saying, "I'm SO GLAD."

Once the weapon was safe, I reamed him.

Idiot.

He had perfect muzzle discipline for the rest of the week!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I was T-boned in the driver door by a Ford Explorer going about 50MPH.  Time didn't slow down or anything like that, but I remember having the time to think "This is gonna hurt."
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I got caught downrange of a shooting dispute between two dope dealers.  Buckshot bounced off the wall about a foot from my head.  A real adrenaline rush.  Ops
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Dumped a Yamaha FZ600 on a curve of NY Hwy 9W somewhere south of Poughkeepsie.  To this day there's a chunk of my life that I have no memory of.

If it hadn't been for the helmet (it cracked like an egg), I 'd be pushing daisies right now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#29]
i was walking on a screw conveyor that i had a tag on to  "do not operate". i was inside an electrostatic precipitator and couldn't be seen from the local control station. someone came along, and without checking, just turned that baby on.
i heard the "thunk" that i knew to be to noise of the motor/gearbox torqueing over on start, and jumped off as it started. a screw conveyor wins that contest every time, i was lucky.

same plant, but now i'm a bridge and trolley crane operator with a crane making a dicked up noise. i need to investigate and get a warm body up there. i tell him to work the control stick on the right when i motion to him, touch nothing else.  
i get up the ladder/platform access and onto the crane, about a 60' drop to the cement floor, and motion to the kid. life's good, i find a bad brake drum and head to get down.  
i open the safety rail on the crane and start to step towards the landind/access platform when i hear a familiar click click.   the noise was the brakes on the bridge releasing, FUCK!
i hop onto the platform to watch as the fucker had grabbed the stick i told him not to touch and took off with the crane.

nothing overly dramatic, but i would've been killed on either occasion.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Ya'll need to get out more.

collapsed lungs 3 times
shot at with a shotgun
shot at with a pistol
pistol pointed at me
knife pulled on me and thrust at me
flipped a pickup truck in the national forest 5 miles from civilization
drove a honda civic under a semi
I ride a motorcycle in south florida with the immigrants and the blue hairs
(to be specific, I've locked up the brakes 3 times in 3 years and only stayed upright by pure dumb luck)

If you give me awhile I'll think of some more.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I was married twice.

+1  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

collapsed lungs 3 times
shot at with a shotgun
shot at with a pistol
pistol pointed at me
(to be specific, I've locked up the brakes 3 times in 3 years and only stayed upright by pure dumb luck)

Or maybe we don't put ourselves in such situations near as much hehe
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#33]
tag

to place pictures when I find them.

been dead twice in one day.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

collapsed lungs 3 times
shot at with a shotgun
shot at with a pistol
pistol pointed at me

Or maybe we don't put ourselves in such situations near as much hehe

as I said, you need to get out more.

How do you know you're alive if you never tempt death?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Motorcycle accidents, and four wheeler accidents. Just enough time before you hit the ground to wonder how bad this one is going to be.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#36]
a few years ago i had a guy holding me up side down by my ankles a few feet off the ground and he dropped me.  Luckily i bent my head forward enough that i landed on the base of my neck.  My back still was pretty messed up for awhile but i could have broken my neck.  hahah and dont bother asking why this all happened
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#37]
107mm Rocket impacted 30-40m in front of me in Afghanistan. Ears was ringing for a while, but other than that I was ok

FREE
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Had a crazy bitch point a loaded MAC-10 at my chest at a large machine gun shoot, as she was trying to figure out WHY IT WOULDN'T FIRE with a live round in the chamber, finger on the trigger, fiddling with the bolt release.  She in fact swept me twice in the same day, and was warned about the same shit on at least two other occasions by other RSO's.

I told the owners of the range and then her that if she pointed that goddamn POS gun at me one more time, I was drawing down on her with my .45 to see how SHE liked it. I was MAD, so I might've done it, too...

She and her hubby and kids left later that day minus a large portion of her ass, both from me and the owners of the range.

Needless to say, they were not back at the shoot the next day to my recollection.

SG

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#39]
When I was 15-18 I worked as a camp counselor during the summers at a Boy scout summer camp in North-central PA.  I taught wilderness survival / camping / orientaition.  We lived in canvas tents set up on wooden pallets.  One year it rained ALL MONTH LONG.  The camp had just finished eating lunch, and people where headed back to camp to get ready for the afternoon classes.  The sky had cleared and, for once, it wasn't raining.  I was walking to my tent,  lost in thought, and I felt rain droplets falling on me.  I was kind of surprised, considering the sun was now out, so I looked up..and I saw leaves moving quickly! AN UPROOTED TREE FALLING RIGHT ON TOP OF ME.  

I'm not proud to say that I panicked.  I immediately RAN as hard as I could and dove forward into the mud as I heard the tree crashing down, shaking the earth.  It probably was not more than 2 or 3 seconds from when I saw the leaves moving until the trunk hit the ground.  It turns out that I ran directly underneath the path of the tree, and as I looked back, lying in the mud.. this huge tree trunk was less than my body's length away.  

One friend of mine was sitting in his bunk when the tree fell and hit his tent.  He was lucky though, just the top of the tree hit the tent, he suffered a concusion and a broken arm.  Had the tree fallen at night two other scouts would have been killed.  Just dumb luck, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Shot with a 30.06
Heard a grenade rolling around on the bed of a 5 Ton truck(Pin still in , saftey clip off)
survived a misfire on a dragon with a late ignition
had a round cookoff in an m60 - inside a vehicle
moved(RAN LIKE HELL) out of the way of an M113 as it smashed into another M113
messed with the First Shirts daughter and he found out
Told my knife fighting instructor I didn't believe he could stop me from REALLY stabbing him -I am not very smart sometimes

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Had a ticket for Flight 77 on 9/11.  Rescheduled last minute for almost no reason.  Saved my life.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Had a friend at a campout load my 12-gauge to shoot a grouse that flew away.  He tossed the loaded gun on my seat, on top of my jacket, and left the safety off.  Few minutes later another grouse appears (Alaska, lots of 'em there) and I grab the shotgun.  About the time I think "Hmm, thought I left it pointing the other way?" as I realize I'm looking down the barrel, I jerk my head away.  Trigger catches in jacket zipper or something and KABOOM-- lost some hair on the right side of my head, and both ears rang for a while.  Pretty impressive that close.
Been hit by cars twice, once as a ped and once on the bike, serious injuries both times, with enough time both times to think "Uh-oh, I'm fucked" but I'm still here.  Duh.
Had guns pointed at me at close range in a previous life, but not lately.

1911fan
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Wow.  No amputations or anything?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#44]
car. snow bank. self inflicted.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Spun out on the freeway across four lanes of traffic.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Me and my girl went out shooting one day with my lab.  Went out to the field and were shooting trap with my beater double barrel.  Cheezy ERA brazil import but it had been a great gun untill that day.  I gave the gun to Claire and when she went for the shot it almost knocked her over.  I just thought she hadnt had the gun all the way against her sholder and she complained that it kicked real hard.

I took the gun back to the truck and put two shells in the chambers.  Spun around, closed the breach, and WHAMMO!  Damn gun fired BOTH SHELLS right between Claire and Remmy, my lab, not to mention just about a foot infront of my feet.  Here to find out, the sear went bad in the reciever and every time you close the gun, it fires.  Well needless to say after almost taking my girlfriend out at the knees, killing my bird dog, and destroying our truck...we dont shoot the ERA any more.

Then just a few weeks later she was firing one of my ar's and had a casing explode/split down the middle in the chamber.  Crash, boom, bash.  Great luck last month!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Had a crazy bitch point a loaded MAC-10 at my chest at a large machine gun shoot, as she was trying to figure out WHY IT WOULDN'T FIRE with a live round in the chamber, finger on the trigger, fiddling with the bolt release.  She in fact swept me twice in the same day, and was warned about the same shit on at least two other occasions by other RSO's.

I told the owners of the range and then her that if she pointed that goddamn POS gun at me one more time, I was drawing down on her with my .45 to see how SHE liked it. I was MAD, so I might've done it, too...

She and her hubby and kids left later that day minus a large portion of her ass, both from me and the owners of the range.

Needless to say, they were not back at the shoot the next day to my recollection.

SG

nice work asshole!............................ just kidding, really. good work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Had a few near misses before I started flying TCAS equipped aircraft.  One with a hedge hopping B17 believe it or not.  He flew about 50 feet beneath me while I was flying at 700' agl.

Had a gyro  failure in a cessna 172 while in IFR with the weather at 200' and less then 1/2 mile vis.  For the  other pilots out there:  Partial panel practice is one thing, reality is another.

Some dumb bitch at a gunstore pointed a revolver at me and pulled back the hammer while inspecting an employees carry gun that got mistakenly placed in the glass case.

I almost drove an M113 off a 50' canyon cliff while trying to drive at night with no NVG.  Some dumbass forgot to order batteries, and the training must go on "you train like you fight"

I shot about 200 rds of Indian surplus out of my Saiga.   so far- so good
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#49]
4800 Volts in my right hand that luckily exited about 6" up my forearm into the relay
frame box .

It was a 20KV generator that was not running at the time , but I dropped a wrench
and it landed on the knife switch contacts that connected it to the utility power grid .
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Hmmm, I've never really been too close to death, the closest thing was probably a car wreck:

Hit a cement barrier with my car in a one-car wreck, at an odd angle (the main impact was actually at a 45 angle into the rear passenger corner of the car, I had spun before hitting)  - seat belt never caught, air bag never went off, head smacked into steering wheel pretty hard and knocked me out and cut a nice gushing gash right on the bottom edge of my browbone at the top edge of my left eyelid, not much room for error around there, could have really sucked if the impact had been any lower (nose, cheekbone, eye, etc...).  What can I say, I was in a very torque-y stickshift rear-wheel drive beast (a '99 WS6 Trans-Am), going a bit faster than I should have been for the conditions, and got blinded by crossing into suddenly heavier rain just as I entered a sharpish S-curve with a big puddle in it, and I lost it

And in the contest for doing stupid things in your youth that could've gotten one killed (which there seems to be a few contenders for in this thread):

When I was about 16, I was living in a foreign country, and the airport in this country had signs on the fences around the airfield that said "Tresspassers will be shot on sight" in four languages, with a graphic depiction of a guy with a rifle shooting another guy.  My freind and I took a pair of boltcutters to said fence at like 1 in the morning, and wandered around the edge of the airfield for a while drinking and stole some flashing construction lights from some work being done on the airfield, then left and took a cab home.  This was in the same foreign country which became infamous shortly thereafter when one of my highschool classmates vandalized some cars and got some serious corporal punishment for it.  If the guys in the guard towers what seemed like half a mile away from us had managed to notice our little escapade I imagine it could've really sucked.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top