Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 3:49:50 PM EDT
Just curious about how many people here vote straight ticket.  It seems that some do it because they are too lazy to research the candidates and take the easy way.   Others are so hung up on party affiliation that they vote against candidates that more closely represent their views.  

Should the option be removed from the voting machines?  It would force people to at least look at each race if not actually do the research.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never been given a reason not to.

Doesn't look like I'll be given one this year, either.

GOP all the way....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I do.

I'm going to vote Republican in national elections anyway.

And all our local elections in Northeast PA are fixed anyway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
+1   Except in primaries.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a handful of good Democrats here in MA, only because is close to imnpossible to get elected as a Republican. I'll vote for a couple in local races.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I do
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't vote staright ticket, since I relish making sure I get to vote AGAINST each and every Democrat on the ticket. It's more personal that way.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
This will be my ninth year of voting and I have yet to knowingly vote for a democrat.

I don't go out of my way to vote a straight ticket and I don't really care about the whole dem/repub thing, especially in local elections.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Add a poll and more cowbell, please.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I DO
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I voted for a Democrat in '76.  I have felt bad about it for more than 25 years.  To the best of my knowledge, I have not voted for a Democrat since then.  I would rather staple gun my scrotum to a hot railroad tie on a busy track than vote for a Democrat.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

GOP all the way....

Hopefully you have researched each candidate.  If you did that in my county you would end up with a Republican District Attorney who has never tried a criminal case,  is trying to steal his home from the builder by filing frivolous lawsuits and is basically crazier than a shit house rat.  Almost every Republican is endorsing his Democratic opponent.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]
This needs a poll
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

GOP all the way....

Me too.  

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I was the 1st one to vote - woo-hoo!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a conservative, leaning libertarian, but I refuse to affiliate with a party. I'll vote for who I think is best, in this case it will be a straight ticket.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am a conservative, leaning libertarian, but I refuse to affiliate with a party. I'll vote for who I think is best, in this case it will be a straight ticket.

Oh don't start bringing logic and sense into this!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just curious about how many people here vote straight ticket.  It seems that some do it because they are too lazy to research the candidates and take the easy way.   Others are so hung up on party affiliation that they vote against candidates that more closely represent their views.  

Should the option be removed from the voting machines?  It would force people to at least look at each race if not actually do the research.

That's quite the elitist attitude you have about your voting preferences.

There is a reason for voting straight ticket in the general elections.
A party can do little good, if they are not in power.
The time to choose the best candidate, is during the primary.

What would be better? Voting for a good Independent, or Democrat Senator in your state, and handing control over to democrats in the Senate? Or voting for a less qualified Republican for the Senate seat, and keeping Republican control of the Senate?

Imagine if the Rep's didn't control the house this year.  We would have had a renewal of the AWB.

This is not an absolute, there are always bad cases.  But it is a pretty good general rule that I try to follow as much as possible, unless circumstances seem to outweigh the benefits.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GOP all the way....

Hopefully you have researched each candidate.  If you did that in my county you would end up with a Republican District Attorney who has never tried a criminal case,  is trying to steal his home from the builder by filing frivolous lawsuits and is basically crazier than a shit house rat.  Almost every Republican is endorsing his Democratic opponent.

Local races are a little different.  And your case sounds really bad.  I would not advocate voting (R) in that election.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh don't start bringing logic and sense into this!

Palo, you sound so....liberal!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#20]
nope. I actually think about each candidate
also if someone I like is on more than one line I'll vote for them in the position of the smallest 3rd party they're endorsed by as a sign of support of 3rd parties
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have voted for both Republicans and Libertarians in the past. There are some Democrats I'd consider, but they don't live in my state!

Simply voting Republican is a decent strategy. If you believe in free markets and restricted government, voting Democrat is a bad idea. And most third parties haven't a chance of winning. I vote Libertarian when presented with really bad Republican candidates, or when it is clear the Republican can't win and he's not all that great anyway. I voted against G. H. Bush after his import ban. In November, I'll vote for his son a second time . . .
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I would vote for Zell Miller if he was running for another term as a democrat. He was a piss-poor govenor but a good senator. Too bad it took 9-11 to bring him around.

Give 'em hell Zell!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I would vote for Zell Miller if he was running for another term as a democrat. He was a piss-poor govenor but a good senator. Too bad it took 9-11 to bring him around.

Give 'em hell Zell!

Imagine this scenario... Zell runs against a piss-poor RINO like Dewine of Ohio.
You vote for Zell, because he's much better, personally, but end up costing the Republicans contol of the Senate.
Now the Bush tax cuts don't get approved.
Now the Iraqi spending bill doesn't get funded, because Dem's refuse to pass it out of committee.
NO federal judges get appointed.
And so on, and so on...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#24]
PIE!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give 'em hell Zell!

Imagine this scenario... Zell runs against a piss-poor RINO like Dewine of Ohio.
You vote for Zell, because he's much better, personally, but end up costing the Republicans contol of the Senate.
Now the Bush tax cuts don't get approved.
Now the Iraqi spending bill doesn't get funded, because Dem's refuse to pass it out of committee.
NO federal judges get appointed.
And so on, and so on...

You don't know that.  You are making assumptions based on the faulty premise that all Democrats will do certain things and Republicans will do the opposite.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#26]
On local elections I may consider a Democrat.  Anything with national consequences I am strictly voting Republican no matter what.  I'll be damned (probably literally) if I vote Democrat and give that party the power they need to control Congress or approve/disapprove of judges.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
There are a handful of good Democrats here in MA, only because is close to imnpossible to get elected as a Republican. I'll vote for a couple in local races.

There are actually quite a few good Rs in MA, mostly from rural districts well outside of Boston. Agreed on some Dems, though. The local Dem state rep in my town is more pro-RKBA than the R challenger. WTF?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#29]
of course i vote a strait ticket! who would want to vote a gay ticket?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#30]
IM voting all Republican except for that jackass RINO Jim Leach
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Hell no.  The odds of the Republican candidate being the best candidate in EVERY race right down to school board are pretty slim.

I vote for the best candidate in each race, regardless of party.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top