Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 1:37:07 PM EDT
These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago at Ft Huachuca, AZ.
The story goes that the guy was sitting at his desk when this critter slithered
right between his feet looking for a warm place to curl up.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
damn

damn damn damn damn damn

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]

can you say 'permanent psychological scars'?

Nevermind the bullet-holes in all those electronics and such......
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Crotelus atrox  I believe it's called.

Western Diamondback rattlesnake, sometimes called a coontail rattler.

The snake responsible for most poisonous snakebites in the U.S.

Produces one of the more painful bites from a venomous snake due to the large hypodermic fangs.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm an accountant.

I ride a desk.

I describe my job as endless hours of boredom broken only moments of sheer terror.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
holy s<beeeep>t!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Now that is garunteed  to get your attention.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty! He was jus' lookin' for a place to hole up for a while.

Of course, having him sliver out from under your desk could give a person a bit of a shock...

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#10]
That desk looks almost like mine!  Yikes!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Crotelus atrox  I believe it's called.

Produces one of the more painful bites from a venomous snake due to the large hypodermic fangs.

Yeah, and my Mossburg 500 put the painful bite on one in my back yard a couple of months ago.
1 1/4 oz of #9 shot is a very effective snake repellent.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm an accountant.

I ride a desk.

I describe my job as endless hours of boredom broken only moments of sheer terror.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Ah, the Fort We-Got-You/Sorry Gulch area. I spent a year or so there. It was, uh, *different*.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
" Hey Tom......what's that rattling...?"
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought the coral snake was most venomous?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm an accountant.

I ride a desk.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The coral snake has the quickest acting venom as it's nuerotoxic. However, they are docile and have to chew on you a bit to get venom into you as they don't have the big fangs of a rattlesnake.

Rattlesnakes have hemotoxic poison, but Western Diamondbacks are large, somewhat terretorial and quite common. They bite, maim and kill more than any other snake in the U.S.  They inject a lot of venom on a bite, thus causing more extensive tissue damage and shock.  Their venom destroys tissue and blood as it works through your body.

Antivenom injections help a lot, but quite often tissue is lost due to necrotism as the tissues cells are destroyed by the venom.  VERY PAINFUL BITE ALSO!

I wanted to be a herpetologist at one time, so I've studied snakes. Used to catch rattlesnakes alive....damn I was young and stupid...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Crotelus atrox I believe it's called.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Painrx-
You may be (iirc probably are) right. I interpret Coz's post to mean "the Western Diamondback inflicts the greatest quantity of poisonous snakebites..."
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
" I wanted to be a herpetologist at one time"

^^^ You wanted to study Herpes?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Question:  What's worse than finding a snake in your home?
Answer:  Losing a snake in your home.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
" I wanted to be a herpetologist at one time"

^^^ You wanted to study Herpes?

LOL....

herpetology - the study of reptiles and amphibians

I like snakes, what can I say?

www.wf.net/~snake/rattlesn.htm
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone seen my pet snake?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]
BLAM!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#24]
SHITTTTTTTTT
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#27]
now you have an excuse to keep your feet on the desk and get a wireless keyboard....to say the least doubt you'll feel comfortable putting your legs back there with the wires lol
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I call BS on it being 'last week'...

Notice that characteristic shade of '90s' plastc on the computer equipment?  Vent holes the size of a deck of cards.

And that little Isuzu?

TRG

Quoted:
These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago at Ft Huachuca, AZ.

I said a couple of weeks ago. Quit watching so much CSI.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#30]
"Quit watching so much CSI!"  That's friggin' great!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#31]
<---(runs to get Surefire to check under computer desk)

Nope, no snake here, but DDDAAAAAAAAYYYYYUUUUMMMMM!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I bet if the fellow at the desk had a sidearm on him, they'd  be breakin out the BBQ and not the snake-grabber-stick-thingy.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#33]
That gives a whole new meaning to the term "Computer Bug"....

Can't blame Microsoft for THAT one!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#34]
A big ass brown snake butt naked under your desk and you didn't dump your mag!

I would of shot his ass.

Samuel
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Can you imagine that thing getting inside of a box and being there when you opened up a machine for maintenance?

Wasn't a rattler, but I once got a scare while working on a dozer.  Shoved my hand inside of the engine compartment and felt something move.  Scared the shit out of me.  Pulled off the cowling and there was a 5' blacksnake curled up on the radiator pan.  Had to use a pair of brake spring pliers, duct tape, and two long sticks to get that fucker out of there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
A big ass brown snake butt naked under your desk and you didn't dump your mag!

I would of shot his ass.

Samuel

If the snake had clothing on, you'd leave it alone?

Well, come to think of it, i wouldn't shoot a snake with clothes on... I'd still be in "What the fek??" mode for a few minutes...

Geez.... now that I think about it, you make perfect sense.  A naked snake is rather worrisome, more so than a clothed one.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Notice that characteristic shade of '90s' plastc on the computer equipment?  Vent holes the size of a deck of cards.

Well, it is the military after all. I was using a reel-to-reel tape recorder in the military as late as 1997. The really sad part is it wasn't as advanced as the one my Dad bought from the PX in 1969.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

And that little Isuzu?

TRG

You are obviously not familiar with the state of government supplied hardware or with the type of vehicle a military paycheck can provide.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:10:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The coral snake has the quickest acting venom as it's nuerotoxic. However, they are docile and have to chew on you a bit to get venom into you as they don't have the big fangs of a rattlesnake.

Rattlesnakes have hemotoxic poison, but Western Diamondbacks are large, somewhat terretorial and quite common. They bite, maim and kill more than any other snake in the U.S.  They inject a lot of venom on a bite, thus causing more extensive tissue damage and shock.  Their venom destroys tissue and blood as it works through your body.

Antivenom injections help a lot, but quite often tissue is lost due to necrotism as the tissues cells are destroyed by the venom.  VERY PAINFUL BITE ALSO!

I wanted to be a herpetologist at one time, so I've studied snakes. Used to catch rattlesnakes alive....damn I was young and stupid...

I would just like to add a few things to this, not to discredit you or call you out or anything, but.. I've been bitten by a western diamondback rattlesnake before. I can remember when I got bit, I didn't feel a thing, just a little poke of the fang. Shrugged it off, went on about my business of catching and bagging the snakes. Next morning I woke up and my arm was swollen to the point of where it was bigger than my leg. Figured it was time to tell someone, so I showed my mom, right as she was ready to leave for work.. (I was 15, catching rattlesnakes was sort of a summer job..they paid pretty good money where I lived in west Texas). By this point I had completely forgotten about the snake bite, and was just as dumbfounded as she was as to how my arm got all jacked like it was.

To make a long story short, I never felt any pain, never lost function of my hand, although I heard later (after a week in ICU and lots and lots of narcotics) that my entire arm was basically dead, full necrosis, no pulse, no nothing. By the time I left the hospital, somehow it was completely restored, fully functional, no worse for the wear. Neither the doctors, nor anyone else can explain that one. Overall, I would say that someone was looking out for me somewhere. I've seen pictures and read accounts of people who have been bitten that have lost entire limbs due to the venom's work on their soft tissues. Kinda makes me wonder how come my experience was so different. Eh well, just thought you guys would like to know that little tidbit about me that most people aren't aware of.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Ah, the Fort We-Got-You/Sorry Gulch area. I spent a year or so there. It was, uh, *different*.

What about Jim-bo's?

Got trashed night before grad...... wow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top