Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 11:55:34 AM EDT
Hello,

I went to a gun show this past weekend and happened upon a green AUG. At first I didnt think much of it until I held in to my shoulder. MAN! It felt so very natural and pointed very well. After talkin to the seller he gave me a ball-park figure for items I wanted to trade in. I was very happy with what he was giving we as trade in and would only need a few hundred dollars to complete the purchase.

Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? The one I saw had a 20" barrel and a green stock. It looked new. Seller took it apart and all the parts shined like new. Both gas plungers looked new, the trigger pack looked un-used and there were little or no wear on the outside finish.

I'm not sure if I should take the plunge...someone please tell me how these rifles are. Yes, I know an AR15 can do the same job or better for $800 as can an AR18B but there's something special about this rifle. First of all I've NEVER see one at the ranges before. No more will be imported and I seriously doubt that DSA will ever produce them.

If anyone has any general thoughts on this please advise...as right now I can go either way with this purchase.

Thanks, Mayday
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#1]
One of my favorite rifles,

Now I will tell you what will follow my post, you are going to get a bunch of posts from people who have never even seen one in real life say things like: "They are ugly" (eye of the beholder),  "they can't be shot by a lefty" (false)  "mag changes are slower" (not true), "they are expensive" (they are worth it), "I don't like these new fandangle bullpups" (been around since the '60's if not longer get used to it), "they melt" (TOTALLY FALSE)

My Aug is the most reliable rifle I have ever used I have put thousands of rounds through it and many other 5.56 rifles and nothing even comes close to the reliability, ergonomics and balance of the Aug.

And there is a RUMOR that DSA will be producing them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I love Augs . . . but they have pros and cons

Pros:

• Bullpup design makes overall length shorter than a rifle of equal barrel length

• Very natural fit on shoulder (best feeling gun I've ever shot)

• Optical sight helpful

• Can switch to full auto by buying registered sear pack

• Quick change barrel in seconds with no tools

• Multiple barrel lengths (14",16",20" and 24")

• Drop in 9mm conversion about $1500

• See through mags make it easy to keep track of ammo

• Extremely evil looking

Cons:

• Inability to switch from right to left shoulder without changing bolts

• Difficulty in shooting the rifle from behind cover

• No effective iron sights

• No aftermarket optics (unless you have an A2 or special receiver)

• Spare parts are mondo expensive

• Mags expensive but getting much cheaper

The biggest problem with Augs is that they are an orphan gun.  They are not really produced anymore and are not widely used.  However, my Aug remains one of my favorite guns, so much so that I just bought a second Aug so I could have an Aug A2.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Mayday, what was he asking for it?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Somebody inform me on Steyr AUG's  

I hear they don't care much for stray cats, looters, hurricanes, or democrats.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Steyr Aug's what?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

$3000 even but he really likes a couple of custom 1911's I own; one Wilson and a couple of Les Baers. He said no one has interest in the AUG since everyone now wants to get M4's...go figure.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Just make sure it's an AUG and not a USR.

Check this out:  Steyr USR faqs
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hello,

I went to a gun show this past weekend and happened upon a green AUG. At first I didnt think much of it until I held in to my shoulder. MAN! It felt so very natural and pointed very well. After talkin to the seller he gave me a ball-park figure for items I wanted to trade in. I was very happy with what he was giving we as trade in and would only need a few hundred dollars to complete the purchase.

Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? The one I saw had a 20" barrel and a green stock. It looked new. Seller took it apart and all the parts shined like new. Both gas plungers looked new, the trigger pack looked un-used and there were little or no wear on the outside finish.

I'm not sure if I should take the plunge...someone please tell me how these rifles are. Yes, I know an AR15 can do the same job or better for $800 as can an AR18B but there's something special about this rifle. First of all I've NEVER see one at the ranges before. No more will be imported and I seriously doubt that DSA will ever produce them.

If anyone has any general thoughts on this please advise...as right now I can go either way with this purchase.

Thanks, Mayday

First time I ever saw a AUG was at a gun show...I've wanted one for years but never saw one in real life. But once I saw I knew that I had to have one. I now have two AUGs and they are great rifles. The 1.5X Optic is fun and is accurate, I shot a few prairire dogs out in North Dakota with it. My father (who is a lefty) shot a deer with it about 3 years ago.
I would say if you have a AR-15...go buy the AUG and don't look back, you are right you rarely see AUGs at gun shows or ranges so you need to get one when you have the chance.

Let us see some pics when you get the AUG

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had 2, one green 20" and 1 black 16". They were both great rifles. Got offered a lot more than what I had in them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I love Augs . . . but they have pros and cons

Pros:

• Bullpup design makes overall length shorter than a rifle of equal barrel length

• Very natural fit on shoulder (best feeling gun I've ever shot)

• Optical sight helpful

• Can switch to full auto by buying registered sear pack

• Quick change barrel in seconds with no tools

• Multiple barrel lengths (14",16",20" and 24")

• Drop in 9mm conversion about $1500

• See through mags make it easy to keep track of ammo

• Extremely evil looking

Cons:

• Inability to switch from right to left shoulder without changing bolts

• Difficulty in shooting the rifle from behind cover

• No effective iron sights

• No aftermarket optics (unless you have an A2 or special receiver)

• Spare parts are mondo expensive

• Mags expensive but getting much cheaper

The biggest problem with Augs is that they are an orphan gun.  They are not really produced anymore and are not widely used.  However, my Aug remains one of my favorite guns, so much so that I just bought a second Aug so I could have an Aug A2.

I'll add a con...  

You are that much close to your muzzle blast.  Fine for the range, would suck if you had to fire it sans ear protection.

I'd love to have one...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll add a con:

You see that thread about the M16 kB!? Yeah, me too. I seriously would NOT want that happening right next to my head, let alone right underneath it. You've got an immensely slim chance that that will happen, but if it does, you'll regret it.

With that out of the way, I like 'em. Wish I could afford one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Steyr Aug's what?

Good question, I was wondering the same thing

eta: I also want one if someone is tired of theirs...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steyr Aug's what?

Gun Cellar in Birmingham, Al. had one for sale last week.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$3000 even but he really likes a couple of custom 1911's I own; one Wilson and a couple of Les Baers. He said no one has interest in the AUG since everyone now wants to get M4's...go figure.

Thats a great price. I say if he wants to trade, do it. AUGs are never to be imported again, so the value is bound to go up. I don't think DSA's production of AUGs should effect their rising value.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Some things to check:

Make sure the serial number on the receiver and barrel match! It's mainly a big deal for black-stocked AUGs as they are rarer...but if it's got a replacement barrel, it's good to know. Factory guns have matching numbers.

Check the bolt sleeve when you get home...the older design can crack. A spare parts kit can swap out that part, though. (It happened to me)

I have two...one 902SA, one 906SA. I love 'em both. Very fun, easy to clean, accurate as I am (as much as I can be with a donut recticle)...

The items you refer to as gas plungers are basically springs. The gas system is housed in the barrel (off to the right side)...the gas piston is there. It pushed back on the right "plunger", thus recoiling the whole system.

$3,000 is definitily in the ballpark, and possibly on the low side if it's in real good condition. Check the gas piston, and see if there are any "brass dings" in the stock (you'll see little gauges just behind the ejection port)...if the internals feel a little "tacky" (not worn smooth), it's in pretty damn good condition. The trigger pack probably won't show any wear (the one in my 902SA doesn't, and I know it's been pretty heavily used by previous owners)..so I wouldn't worry about using that as a gauge of usage. In fact, the only way I could tell it was heavily used was the internal parts smoothing thing, and the wear on the bolt carrier, with the gas piston (it's face is very black..half an hour scraping at it with a brass brush helped, but it's still pretty discolored).

I have a 14" commando barrel I had a Phantom permanently attached to...it's pretty loud, but woo! Talk about a small package.

For the price they're asking..I, personally, having two, would consider picking up a 3rd.

Get it, you won't be sorry. And if you are...you can sell it for an instant profit. No worries
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]

I hear they don't care much for stray cats, looters, hurricanes, or democrats.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got four (three black, one green), and working on a possible fifth.  Most ergonomic, well balanced, reliable rifle system I've ever used.  You could have four different weapon systems by having one AUG, and four different barrels (14"SMG, 16"CAR, 20"AR, 24"LMG) due to its completely modular design.  The 16" bbl AUG-P measures just 27" OAL!  Based on the fact that your interest caused you to deliberate to the point of posting this thread, I'd say get it.  You certainly won't regret it, and odds are you won't lose your money should you want to dump it later (as a matter of fact, you'd most likely make money).  Just my .02.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont like them very much
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, since I asked this question before and received no real answer, I'll try again in this thread:

Does anyone know how many Steyr AUGs were imported by Interarms and so marked?  I think that the window was sometime in 1984 to sometime in 1985, but I might be off by a little.

I have only seen one (a 901SAxxx), with all the others that I have seen being Gun South ones...

Any insights out there?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hey, since I asked this question before and received no real answer, I'll try again in this thread:

Does anyone know how many Steyr AUGs were imported by Interarms and so marked?  I think that the window was sometime in 1984 to sometime in 1985, but I might be off by a little.

I have only seen one (a 901SAxxx), with all the others that I have seen being Gun South ones...

Any insights out there?

I have a green 902SAXXX AUG, matching numbers, that was imported by InterArms.  If I were to venture a guess, I'd say approximately between one and two thousand (max) InterArms AUGs were imported, and they were all green.  I only say this based on the following.  According to GSI sources, approx. 5,000 green AUGs, total, were imported into North America (some apparently went to Canada); and the first serial numbers were in the 900SAXXX range, and I believe Gun South (GSI) took over importation at around 904SAXXX (?).  Again, this is only an educated guess.  I know that the highest S/N for the green AUGs is 906SAXXX, black AUGs being 908SAXXX.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:28:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have a green 902SAXXX AUG, matching numbers, that was imported by InterArms.  If I were to venture a guess, I'd say approximately between one and two thousand (max) InterArms AUGs were imported, and they were all green.  I only say this based on the following.  According to GSI sources, approx. 5,000 green AUGs, total, were imported into North America (some apparently went to Canada); and the first serial numbers were in the 900SAXXX range, and I believe Gun South (GSI) took over importation at around 904SAXXX (?).  Again, this is only an educated guess.  I know that the highest S/N for the green AUGs is 906SAXXX, black AUGs being 908SAXXX.  Hope this helps.

My 902SA is a GSI import...(really, it is. I have photos of it somewhere, if you want proof..)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:50:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Ever since seing the Augs on Miami Vice when I was a kid I've wanted one.  Now that I have some experience with them I'm glad I never bought one, unless I could have gotten one years ago and couls sell it to some sap for $3k.

The Aug is a great gun for collectors and static range shooters.

Run one in an action shoot and all of the shortcomings will be very obvious.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steyr Aug's what?

Gun Cellar in Birmingham, Al. had one for sale last week.

No longer

It gotput on layaway.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Ill be getting paid to shoot AUGs in a bit...improved full auto AUGs...some with grenade launchers with some cool sight which is > the ladder sight on M16's.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#26]
SteyrAug? ………he seem's like a nice guy…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the info, guys.

It does help narrow it down.

Forrest

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Steyr Aug's what?

damn, you beat me to it hehehe.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Steyr Aug's are short and ugly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top