Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 11:09:15 AM EDT
If you were active but no longer are and your ID expires, what can you get so you can still get on base?

Will the ID shop replace my expired ID with another? what will it say, active?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you were active but no longer are and your ID expires, what can you get so you can still get on base?

Needs clarification. What is your current status?
If you are no longer an Active Duty member, a Reservist, a Retiree, or contractually obligated as a member of the Inactive Ready Reserve, you don't have any business or right to set foot on a military base.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you are in the IRR, you can get a reserve ID.
If you are completely OUT, discharged, etc.....  

You rate no ID.

My base confiscates expired IDs at the front gate.  EVEN if you are on active duty.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah still in the IRR so maybe I would get a reserve card?

basically just want to use it to get gas
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Your ID card should expire with your current contract, unless you are an Officer in which case the expiration date should read: INDEF.

I had 62.5 days of terminal leave when I left active duty, I had to send my expired ID card back to the S1 in order for them to release my DD-214.  If you are RETIRED, then you should get a retired military ID.

If all you want to do is get on base, then show up at the front gate with your valid drivers licsence, registration, and proof of insurance, and you should get a 24 hour temp pass.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you are IRR you should have been issued a pink ID card and surrender your green, active duty, card.  IIRC, a reserve ID does not give you the right to base services unless you are on active drill.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Valid picture ID is all it takes most times.  This is a good thing, how else could my wife visit me?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Your ID card should expire with your current contract, unless you are an Officer in which case the expiration date should read: INDEF.

That is no longer true. Due to ATFP concerns and the new ID ALL ID cards have expiration dates.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you are no longer an Active Duty member, a Reservist, a Retiree, or contractually obligated as a member of the Inactive Ready Reserve, you don't have any business or right to set foot on a military base.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with the US military, yet I find myself lawfully on military bases quite often, my mother in law who has never served a day in her life goes on base five days a week.

I first set food aboard in Jan of 1966 for boot-camp and now go aboard every workday as a DoD contractor but today they'll only let me buy $5 worth of gas so I can get to a civ filling-station plus they put me on a dumb-shit list for letting that happen .
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#11]
If your reserve ID card has expired and you are still in the military then you have dropped the ball.

You need to contact the nearest personnel office to update your DEERs and to get issued a new ID card.

As far as being a member if the IRR you are authorized to use the base exchange and commissary  facilities as per the 2004 Defense Authorization Bill.

EXCHANGE:

Listed below are the general categories of authorized patrons as designated by DoD Directive 1330.9, Armed Services Exchange Regulations (ASER):

Active duty and their dependents: US Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Military Cadets, Midshipmen, Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service and Commissioned Officers of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Retirees and their dependents: US Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and their Reserve components who receive retired pay, the former Lighthouse Service (officers, crew, light and depot keepers), officers and crews of vessels of the National Geodetic Survey, Commissioned Officers of the Environmental Science Service Administration, Commissioned Officers of the Public Health Service and Commissioned Officers of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

All members, and their dependents, of the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, All Reserves and PHS Reserve Officers (includes those in a non-pay status but eligible for pay at age 60)

Medal of Honor recipients and their dependents

Honorably discharged veterans of the uniformed services with a 100% service-connected disability and their dependents

Red Cross personnel, and their dependents, assigned to duty outside of CONUS, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico with an activity of the Military Service

US Civilian DoD employees, and their dependents, assigned to duty outside of CONUS, Alaska and Hawaii

US citizen employees of firms under contract to DoD, and their dependents, assigned to duty outside of CONUS, Alaska and Hawaii

Foreign country military, and their dependents, when on duty in CONUS

Delayed Entry Program (DEP) or Delayed Training Program (DTP) enlisted

US citizen employees of the Armed Forces exchanges and their dependents

Retired employees, and their dependents, of the Navy Exchange with 20 years or more of service

Local National associates, and their dependents, of overseas exchanges in accordance with local regulations and agreements

COMMISSARY:
With the president's signing of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2004, effective immediately, the following members and their dependents will be permitted unlimited access to commissary stores:

Members of the Ready Reserve (which includes members of the Selected Reserve, Individual Ready Reserve and Inactive National Guard) and members of the Retired Reserve who possess a Uniformed Services Identification Card.

Former members eligible for retired pay at age 60 but who have not yet attained the age of 60 and who possess a Department of Defense Civilian Identification Card (Old grey area).

Dependents of the members described above who have a Uniformed Services
Identification Card or who have a distinct identification card used as an authorization card for benefits and privileges administered by the Uniformed Services.

Instructions have gone out to all continental U.S. stores informing them that reservists now have unlimited shopping and telling store managers how to welcome members of the National Guard and Reserve to the full use of the commissary benefit.

Guard and Reserve members were authorized only 24 commissary shopping days per calendar year until today when the president signed the National Defense Authorization Act, which contained provisions eliminating the restrictions. Commissaries have immediately adopted the new provisions, which mean Guard and Reserve members will no longer have to present a Commissary Privilege Card when they shop.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

One of the dumber things I have read here in quite sometime.  Wrong in so many ways........I don't even know where to start......

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#13]
You die.

I did.

I got better.

Bilster
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the dumber things I have read here in quite sometime.  Wrong in so many ways........I don't even know where to start......

Or a contractor

Or a vouched visitor

Or a spouse

Or a fed

Or a local LEO

Or a...

Well, you get the picture.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Or the pizza boy.

Or the chinese food girl.

Or ....

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no affiliation whatsoever with the US military, yet I find myself lawfully on military bases quite often, my mother in law who has never served a day in her life goes on base five days a week.

ok smarty. you know family members, contractors, civil employees are NOT what I was talking about, and certainly weren't the context of mike45's post.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know.
If you're not a base employee, a contractor, or military member (retiree, reservist, spouse)...

You can't get on my base.
No pizza delivery, nothing.
You order a pizza from out in town, you pick it up at the gate.

If you are a former military member, not reserve, not retiree, not entitled to PX/BX priviliges...

You can't get on.

That's my base.

Others have different policies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#19]
they fuckin let pizza delivery people on some bases?!?!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Here in my neck of the wood the pizza places hire military or dependents to deliver pizza on base.
As long as they have a valid military ID, their car is stickered and they have an employee ID from the pizza place they can deliver to anywhere on base except the secure areas.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
 IIRC, a reserve ID does not give you the right to base services unless you are on active drill.

Hasn't been true for some time now. They used to give us a card that would give us 10 or 12 shoppping expeditions for the commisary, for instance..but all of that is gone now. Free to go as many times as you want with a Guard card.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Here in my neck of the wood the pizza places hire military or dependents to deliver pizza on base.
As long as they have a valid military ID, their car is stickered and they have an employee ID from the pizza place they can deliver to anywhere on base except the secure areas.

Quoted:

That makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yep .
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are IRR you should have been issued a pink ID card and surrender your green, active duty, card.  IIRC, a reserve ID does not give you the right to base services unless you are on active drill.

Reserve ID cards are green now (at least in the AF). Been that way for several years.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I got out in 1996, when these new-fangled ID cards were just starting to be issued. Bar-coding on the back, B&W photo, holographic lamination. Green on front, white on back. All black ink.

Are they still that way, or have they changed since?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I got out in 1996, when these new-fangled ID cards were just starting to be issued. Bar-coding on the back, B&W photo, holographic lamination. Green on front, white on back. All black ink.

They've changed. They're white now, with a chip in the front. The orientation has also changed, instead of being landscape, they're portrait, if you will. Bar code on the back with a finger print and a picture. The front has the chip and another barcode.  The only thing green on it is the words Active Duty.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They've changed. They're white now, with a chip in the front. The orientation has also changed, instead of being landscape, they're portrait, if you will. Bar code on the back with a finger print and a picture. The front has the chip and another barcode.  The only thing green on it is the words Active Duty.

Wow. Cool.

My dad was telling me I should use mine (which looks as described above, and which I still have) to help me get out of scrapes like speeding tickets and such.

I laughed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Heck for a lot of posts just tell em you want to see the museum.

Or your going to DRMO to buy some junk.

Your vehicles gonna get searched pretty hard, and you will ahve to have a valid license, registartion, and insurance.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#30]
www.usma.edu/publicaffairs/PV/030307/CAC.htm
example of what the new ones look like.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#31]
After I got out, I went to get my IRR card and was turned away. It took two hours of waiting in an old WW2 barrack to be told that as an IRR, I didn't need a new ID card. Does it really matter?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:33:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
After I got out, I went to get my IRR card and was turned away. It took two hours of waiting in an old WW2 barrack to be told that as an IRR, I didn't need a new ID card. Does it really matter?

Hmm somebody was being lazy.  As an IRR you should have the appropriate ID card.  As you may have noticed many of the responses were from the ignorant or obsolete memories.

What should happen is that when you are discharged, you turn in the Active Duty card.  You may or may not get a Reserve card depending on whether or not you have a Reserve obligation., or a Retired Card if retiring.  If you are becoming just a regular civilian, then you don't get a card.

As noted Officers no longer get  Indef cards (Our Commissions are for life unless we surrender them or they are taken away) they do have an expiration date.  Mainly used to get you in to confirm you are in fact still alive and to make sure your contact info is up to date.

And Reservists have received a lot more privileges over the years as far as MWR Exchange and Commissary, which may not be that big a deal.  I only used the Commissary when I lived in San Diego while a Reservist, even when I went to the Gulf War 1 for 11 months my wife never used it.

My Mothers Retiree Dependent card  recently expired and I drove her down to LA Air Force Station to get a new one.

Interesting conversation while she was being attended to by the "clerk", Badge and ID was supposedly open during lunch hours but the clerk was not happy that people were there.  What a surprise, people trying to get things done at lunch.

"John Smith"  loudly

"yes" (I have the same first name as my Dad) regular voice

"Are you Col. Smith?" loud

"No, I'm CDR. Smith." regular voice

"You aren't her husband?" getting a little louder

"No, I'm her son." regular voice

"Oh, is she your dependent?" loud enough so that most people  in the office were looking

"No" regular voice

"Well whose dependent is she and is she eligible?" still loud and the Sr. Master Sgt was heading our way fast.

"She's Col. Smith's dependent, like it says, and if you look at her DEERS file, you'll see that because I made sure it was up-to-date." regular voice

"Well, YOU aren't supposed to have access to her file, I can't help her if the Colonel isn't here to sign for her."   still loud

"He can't sign for her." regular voice

"Well, I can't do anything until he signs, why can't he sign it?" loud

"He's dead."  a little louder than regular  but not as loud as her, but in that short clipped command voice you can get and use in the right circumstance

"Oh,  I guess I can issue the new card."

The SMSGT arrived and asked if there was a problem, and I told her , "None, that I can see. Looks like everything is squared away now."

I couldn't quite tell if my Mother was getting mad or getting ready to cry, it was not all that long after my dad had passed away and they used to visit the Exchange and Comissary fairly often on their drives, and it was the first time back for her. She being the polite older lady that she was didn't laugh, but  the other clerks sure laughed at the loud co-worker and I got a few discrete thumbs up from others waiting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top