Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 8:30:00 AM EDT
Would bio-diesel be safe to use in my 2002 24valve Cummins? I saw if for the first time in Bend and I was wondering if there are people here who burn it.

Thank You
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure but I think that motors have to be setup for biodiesel.  The only one that I know of that is setup from the factory(from what I was told) is the Volkswagon TDI.  Its supposed to be super cheap and if you have the proper equipment and enough space you can make your own, as unlikely as that would be.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been doing some research and found that Cummins will not take a stand on it. They passed the buck to Chrysler.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]
bio diesel?

explain

how much per gallon
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only one that I know of that is setup from the factory(from what I was told) is the Volkswagon TDI.

None are set up from the factory for it.  The conversion will void your warranty.  Also, the vehicle won't run enitrely on bio-fuel (used food service oil strained of the larger suspended matter).  You still have to carry the standard diesel and, once the engine reaches a certain temperature, switch to the veggie oil.  The engine won't start from cold on the stuff.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#5]
burning veggie oil....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
It will void the warranty, but you can still run diesels on straight B-100.  Engine conversions and fuel switches are used by straight waste vegetable oil users.  The whole point of the transesterification is that you can then run the stuff straight.  You DO NOT convert the engine, only the oil.  Straight B-100 will gradually eat away at older rubber components that come in contact with the fuel, but most newer engines are good.  

I do not run biodiesel because I do not have a diesel car (yet).  My father, who has a 2004 Dodge runs B-20 (20% biodiesel) without problems.  

I have made it before.

Hoppy8420
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been reading in science mags for a while now, that bio-diesel is synonimous with diesel. Down here florida we don't have bio-diesel, but as soon as we do iwill be willing to try it. I heard froma friend that when you burn it smell almost like french fries.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The danger with bio diesel is that there is no standard for it, yet.  You don't know what you're getting or how it's going to perform and possibly affect your fuel system.  That said, once it's standardized and workable, it's a great idea.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people with newer diesel engines are having trouble with B100.  The fuel plasticizes under the high injection pressures.  Running B20 is OK, just check your hoses in six months.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Bio D if made properly, You can make it yourselve it is easy, is a great fuel, it has a higher cetane rating (think octane) so you can run more boost if your Diesel is a turbo and it has more lubricity than dino-D. Newer Diesels should have fuel systems that will not be effected. There have been some independent fuel comparisons at labs that show that Bio-D, if made carefeully will exceed the specs for Mass made Dino-D.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]
run propane with the regular diesel instead.

burns cleaner, runs stronger (about 100 horse stronger than stock), and you can get up to 40% better fuel economy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

burns cleaner, runs stronger (about 100 horse stronger than stock), and you can get up to 40% better fuel economy.

That will make Hank Hill very happy...

I saw an episode of Trucks on Spike TV where they did a propane injection conversion. It looked really cool...added a lot of power.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That will make Hank Hill very happy...

I saw an episode of Trucks on Spike TV where they did a propane injection conversion. It looked really cool...added a lot of power.

yup. Propane injection is awesome. day and night difference in diesels.  

click here for a diesel performance company
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Most any diesel engine will run bio diesel with a simple change of the fuel injectors. also, There are a few co-ops around the country that would be good to get in on.

ETA: there is a huge Bio-diesel movement in Oregon...mostly cuz they are tree loving hippies...anyhow- there is a co-op in bend and portland- check em out.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Most any diesel engine will run bio diesel with a simple change of the fuel injectors. also, There are a few co-ops around the country that would be good to get in on.

ETA: there is a huge Bio-diesel movement in Oregon...mostly cuz they are tree loving hippies...anyhow- there is a co-op in bend and portland- check em out.

$$$$$

but then again, so does propane.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#16]
1.  It will not void your warranty.
2.  Biodiesel is not straight vegetable oil.
3.  It is very easy to make at home.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The danger with bio diesel is that there is no standard for it, yet.  You don't know what you're getting or how it's going to perform and possibly affect your fuel system.  That said, once it's standardized and workable, it's a great idea.

Yes, there is an ASTM standard for biodiesel.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have never heard of an injector change being necessary to run BD.  And I co-own a small BD manufacturer in Colorado.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never heard of an injector change being necessary to run BD.  And I co-own a small BD manufacturer in Colorado.

My bad, I was just talking out my ass to see what came out
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#20]
My boss has a Jetta TDI and prefers bio-diesel in it.  It is cleaner and runs better in his Jetta and he gets better MPG too with BD.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only one that I know of that is setup from the factory(from what I was told) is the Volkswagon TDI.

None are set up from the factory for it.  The conversion will void your warranty.  Also, the vehicle won't run enitrely on bio-fuel (used food service oil strained of the larger suspended matter).  You still have to carry the standard diesel and, once the engine reaches a certain temperature, switch to the veggie oil.  The engine won't start from cold on the stuff.  

Ahh thanks for the clarification.  I wasn't totally sure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Also you need a Diesel that has a pressure lubed fuel pump, not a fuel lubed fuel pump.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh thanks for the clarification.  I wasn't totally sure.

Look into it a bit more.  I was referring to a set-up that allows you to use straight veggie oil, the kind restaraunts pay to get disposed.  Most places are happy to give it away.  Bio-Diesel is a bit different, sounds like the others in this thread know more than I do.  There are set-ups to get diesels to run off of old french-fry oil, USA Today had an article on it a few months back, try a search there.

Just don't pull up behind a McDonalds and try to pour their old oil into your tank (ha-ha).

Hope I didn't create more confusion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#24]
B-20 is 20% bio, 80% normal desel.  The USMC is supposedly switching over to B-20 if not already, but soon.  B-100 is 100% biodeisel. As Armdlbrl stated, the biggest difference is in the fuel pump, and I'm guessing it is because the biodiesel is a bit thicker.  I've heard bio not only lubricates better, but doesn't have any sulphur to worry about building up.  Daimler-Chrysler announced they plan to sell cars next year that are rated to run on biodiesel, and there is already a diesel version of the Jeep Liberty sold overseas.  I've heard it can be produced by mixing lye and wood alcohol with vegetable oil.

SVO (straight vegetable oil) is completely different than biodiesel, and is fryer grease with the hush puppy and french fry remains filtered out.  SVO requires some heating to get it to flow real nice, and this heat can be provided by heating element or from a hose off the radiator.  You start the engine on regular diesel, then switch over to SVO when it 's warmed up.  I've read the exhaust smells like french fries.  When you are within 5 minutes of your destination, you switch back to normal diesel to ensure there is no SVO in the fuel lines or injectors that may clog the works.  Fast food places must pay for disposal of used veggie oil, so it shouldn't be a problem to get it for free.  All you need is a way to strain the crud out of it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
B-20 is 20% bio, 80% normal desel.  The USMC is supposedly switching over to B-20 if not already, but soon.  B-100 is 100% biodeisel. As Armdlbrl stated, the biggest difference is in the fuel pump, and I'm guessing it is because the biodiesel is a bit thicker.  I've heard bio not only lubricates better, but doesn't have any sulphur to worry about building up.  Daimler-Chrysler announced they plan to sell cars next year that are rated to run on biodiesel, and there is already a diesel version of the Jeep Liberty sold overseas.  I've heard it can be produced by mixing lye and wood alcohol with vegetable oil.

SVO (straight vegetable oil) is completely different than biodiesel, and is fryer grease with the hush puppy and french fry remains filtered out.  SVO requires some heating to get it to flow real nice, and this heat can be provided by heating element or from a hose off the radiator.  You start the engine on regular diesel, then switch over to SVO when it 's warmed up.  I've read the exhaust smells like french fries.  When you are within 5 minutes of your destination, you switch back to normal diesel to ensure there is no SVO in the fuel lines or injectors that may clog the works.  Fast food places must pay for disposal of used veggie oil, so it shouldn't be a problem to get it for free.  All you need is a way to strain the crud out of it.

Thanks, the SVO conversion is what I read about.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I think that I will continue to run regular diesel as it does get pretty damn cold here in the High Desert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top