Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2001 4:36:48 AM EDT
I'm soon to be a proud owner of a LEGP M4gery.

I would also like to me able to shoot longer distances with greater accuracy.

I was thinking about getting a complete upper with a 24" barrel but they are quite expensive.

I saw that I could get a bull barrel with sights and handguards for around $200.

Which leads me to the follwing questions.

1) How hard is it to change a barrel (time)?

2) How much better is a 24" bull type barrel then a 20"?

3) Do you switch uppers or just barrels?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Switch uppers. You won't save any money the other way. You will need the tools & the time will be a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:46:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I switch uppers. You can get uppers without carriers and bolts for almost as little as you're paying for the barrel and hand guard. For instance, I recently found a 16" HBar upper for $175. Just use the carrier and bolt you have now.

Legal disclamer: It is wise to check head spacing on the new upper with the old bolt. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree.  Switch uppers.  I recently removed the barrel on my AR so that I could switch barrel nuts.  The job wasn't really that difficult, but it is not one that I would want to do regularly.  You might even consider selling your LEGP upper and using that money to get the bull barrel upper of your choice.  I would personally keep the LEGP upper to plink with and be rough on, and get a bull barrel upper for distance shooting.  I don't like to shoot a bunch of rapid fire through my bull barrel uppers.  But that's just me.  I can't see spending a bunch of money on a really nice upper and then treat it like garbage.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I didn't think of that.  I assume it is easy to switch bolts?

So, which is better a 20" bull barrel or a 24" in terms of accuracy and fun factor.  Since I already have a 16" heavy barrel I'm looking for this barrel to be capable of making shots I could not make with the regualr 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#5]
You probably won't see a great deal of accuracy difference between a 20 and a 24, but since you already have an upper for plinking and mobility and weight is not such a high criteria, I would go ahead and go with the 24.  It may give you a little increase in accuracy and velocity as well.  I'd also look into a fluted barrel as it will keep weight down and dissipate heat faster.

ques
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I do switch, I also have a complete set of Headspace Gauges from Bushmaster (they are fairly expensive). I use the standard initial check of lowering bolt in receiver and with light pressure pushing to closed position. Anyway, but I believe that most parts purchased are Mil-Spec so will interchange with each other. The USMC Tech Manual says it is dangerous for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I switch uppers, you have to after you run through 3 mags on Full Auto.  Switch uppers, shoot all day long.  There is always a cool barrel/upper laying around somewhere...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top