Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 4:57:28 AM EDT
This time in Dayton, Ohio.

Local radio news said that a Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper lost control of her car (WTF?) trying to make a traffic stop and struck a barrier.  Car went up in flames, luckily, the trooper got out safely.  AFAIK, the car was not rear ended.  No information about whether the trooper has been rear ended in the past.

Ford needs to start admitting these cars are fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Friends don't like Friends drive Furds.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Update:

Medics rush a state trooper to the hospital after her cruiser crashes on southbound I-75. It happened Monday afternoon just before the Needmore Road Exit. Investigators say the trouble started when she tried to make a traffic stop. As both cars were pulling over, the trooper suddenly lost control of her cruiser. Melissa Crosby saw the accident happen. She said, "It came over about two or three lanes, and pretty much went under a semi." The cruiser caught fire, and the blaze set off ammunition inside the car. Fortunately, the trooper managed to escape. Traffic backed up for miles as the state patrol investigated the cause of the crash. The camera mounted inside the cruiser could help with the investigation, if it survived the fire. The trooper suffered minor injuries, but officials say she will be okay. 2News has learned she is fairly new to the force.  

WDTN-TV story
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Update:

Medics rush a state trooper to the hospital after her cruiser crashes on southbound I-75. It happened Monday afternoon just before the Needmore Road Exit. Investigators say the trouble started when she tried to make a traffic stop. As both cars were pulling over, the trooper suddenly lost control of her cruiser. Melissa Crosby saw the accident happen. She said, "It came over about two or three lanes, and pretty much went under a semi." The cruiser caught fire, and the blaze set off ammunition inside the car. Fortunately, the trooper managed to escape. Traffic backed up for miles as the state patrol investigated the cause of the crash. The camera mounted inside the cruiser could help with the investigation, if it survived the fire. The trooper suffered minor injuries, but officials say she will be okay. 2News has learned she is fairly new to the force.  

WDTN-TV story

She shoulda' released the parking brake!  

So...what's a SWO "daddy"?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:07:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Let me run your chebby under a semi and see how well it holds up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Stuff it in the trooper and post pics!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:08:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Was she trying to run over a dog?
j/k
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
guess they will have to make gas non-flammable
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Last time I checked, cars dont just "suddenly lose control" but rather jackass's doing jackass things behind the wheel cause cars to lose control.
I think theres alot to this story we're not getting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Last time I checked, cars dont just "suddenly lose control" but rather jackass's doing jackass things behind the wheel cause cars to lose control.

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's see.  Take one high performance car.  Stuff it full of electrical equipment.  Equip said car with larger fuel tank.  Make sure plenty of electrical wiring is in the trunk near the fuel tank.  Smash said car into hard metal objects, or v.v., at highway speeds and watch it burn.

Yup, it's the cars fault.

Can I tell you now about my guns and how I have to stop them from going outside and killing people all by themselves?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Maybe the "fire" burned through the steering system?  You know...melted the components or sumpin? Or maybe the shocks fell out...or maybe the...oh never mind!  

Then again...maybe not...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Let me run your chebby under a semi and see how well it holds up.

Apparently the patrol car went under the truck.  When that happens, the rear end of the car is usually untouched.

We'll have to wait until better photos become available.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#14]
the idea that police crown vics easily catch fire is generally a myth invented by trial lawyers
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Update:

WDTN-TV story

She shoulda' released the parking brake!  

So...what's a SWO "daddy"?  

I liked being one.  It was the general Navy BS and long deployments that drove me out.  The job itself was fun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm...OK...just curious.

Here are my sea duty commands during my 28 year career:  During the first six I served as an STG...after that I was a surface LDO SWO.  Shore tours excluded.

USS Yorktown  (CVS 10)

USS John Paul Jones (DDG 32)

USS Dupont (DD 941)

USS Joseph Strauss (DDG 16)

USS Mobile (LKA 113)

USS Richard S. Edwards (DD 950)

CDS 25

USS Goldsborough (DDG 20)

USS Fletcher (DD 992)

CDS 33

We have several SWOs hereabouts too...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#19]
LWilde, wow, nice long list.  You are seriously salty.

I was only in from 88 to 94.  

First LT, Asst. Nav, and CICO on USS Reuben James (FFG-57)

R DIV O, ADCA, and Reactor Aux DIV O, USS Nimitz (CVN-68)

Got my comission from USNA.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Let's see.  Take one high performance car.  Stuff it full of electrical equipment.  Equip said car with larger fuel tank.  Make sure plenty of electrical wiring is in the trunk near the fuel tank.  Smash said car into hard metal objects, or v.v., at highway speeds and watch it burn.

Can I tell you now about my guns and how I have to stop them from going outside and killing people all by themselves?

Who is talking high performance cars? This thread is about Crown Vics...............

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Fiery crash causes 3-hour backup
Trooper loses control of vehicle during pursuit on I-75

By Mehul Srivastava

Dayton Daily News

HARRISON TWP., MONTGOMERY COUNTY | A fiery wreck involving an Ohio Highway Patrol trooper's cruiser blocked traffic on southbound Interstate 75 for three hours on Monday afternoon. The trooper sustained minor injuries.

The female trooper was pursuing a black Ford truck on the shoulder of the highway when the cruiser's tires caught on the gravel, causing the trooper to lose control of the cruiser, according to witnesses.

"They went past my car like bats out of hell," said Nathan Tucker, who had been driving in the right lane in his Ford Taurus. "She bounced off the wall on the right of the highway, and went across the two lanes."

The cruiser was struck from behind by a tractor-trailer, forcing it off the road.

Tucker and other witnesses said they heard one explosion, and several loud pops as the ammunition in the cruiser exploded in the intense heat as the vehicle burned.

An hour after the crash, troopers were still picking up debris, while the smoking shell of the cruiser blocked traffic until 4:30 p.m. A small tube of anti-bacterial moisturizing hand lotion lay by the side of the road, while nearly 200 feet away, the cruiser's black Motorcraft battery lay near the wall that the car first struck.

Blank traffic citation forms stuck to the slick road — state troopers had already picked up all the completed tickets.

The trooper walked out of the car by herself before Tucker could reach the car to help.

Lt. William Peck of the Ohio Highway Patrol said the trooper was being treated for minor injuries. The black truck she was pursuing left the crash scene and is still missing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This section of 75 is right as you are coming into Dayton, between 70 and route 4, and traffic was starting to pick up for rush hour.  I'm kinda surprised that someone didn't call off the pursuit.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#23]
If she was new to the force, wouldn't she have been on probation? - Have another trooper there beside her for evaluation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Ah, traffic stop vehicles pulling over...............vs pursuit on the shoulder of the road.

Easier to lose control, still shouldn't happen.

Hope they got a plate for the runner.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Women drivers  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#26]
After looking at the pic,  there is absolutely no reason that car should have burned.   SUE FORD!!

The "Flaming Crown Vic Death Trap"  nonsense is a simple story concocted for ignorant people by trial lawyers lusting after money.

FACT:  Cars burn.  All kinds,  and a lot more often than you would think.  Sometimes without even being involved in a collision.  Go to any wrecker yard and count them.  

As for the Trooper,  she should be writing letters to Ford thanking them because she only came out of that crash with minor injuries.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#27]
She drove the car under a semi? Was she trying to take a short-cut? Thought she could just squeeze through?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It is the car's fault and Ford's.  Do a google search on crown victoria and fire.  Educate yourself.

Fords have a lot of sharp objects under the car that can and do rupture the fuel tanks.  Several cops have been killed in fires caused by this. Two in the local area and third who lived, but is extremely burned. Ford recalled some cars and ground down a few sharp points, but the cure is to put a bladder in the fuel tank.  Ford will not do that to cars already sold, but I have heard they are putting them in the new cars.

AND..... trial lawyers?  Ford pays these cases to keep them out of court.  The AZ State Attorney general was trying to work with Ford to get the cars, here, fixed.  I haven't heard a thing about it in quite a while.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
After looking at the pic,  there is absolutely no reason that car should have burned.   SUE FORD!!

The "Flaming Crown Vic Death Trap"  nonsense is a simple story concocted for ignorant people by trial lawyers lusting after money.

FACT:  Cars burn.  All kinds,  and a lot more often than you would think.  Sometimes without even being involved in a collision.  Go to any wrecker yard and count them.  

As for the Trooper,  she should be writing letters to Ford thanking them because she only came out of that crash with minor injuries.

How come it happens SO often with Crown Vics?

It is obvious YOU haven't looked under a Crown Vic and under most other cars, FWD or RWD.

Crown Victoria = large Pinto.

Tell all that to him:

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#30]
sharp edges?

a dull object can puncture a fuel tank if hit hard enough.

ohh my..pointy things are bad?
have you been under many cars?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is obvious YOU haven't looked under a Crown Vic and under most other cars, FWD or RWD.

Tell all that to him:

www.jsendeavors.com/gallery/photos/sp060920.jpg

Posting the picture of the burned officer is a page out of the John Edwards playbook.  Classic sleazy trial lawyer tactic.

From the photo of the vehicle in question, the rear end of the car was seriously deformed.  The entire Driver side rear 3/4 was crushed.  I'm fairly certain that includes the filler neck.  At that point, it's only luck that will keep the vehicle from going up in flames.  The crushing pressure alone will rupture the gas tank.  ETA: If fire is that much of a hazard, PDs should buy diesel full-size SUVs.  Far less volitile fuel.  But of course, they won't because they couldn't "afford" it.

Look at the photo of the car in question, don't get distracted by the trial lawyer sob story.  That car was seriously fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#33]
How many Crown Vics are there? How many times a day do CVs pull over onto the side of the road? How many have been hit? How many have exploded? How about similar information on non-CVs? How about some facts instead of anecdotes and pictures posted to invoke emotional responses?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
How many Crown Vics are there? How many times a day do CVs pull over onto the side of the road? How many have been hit? How many have exploded? How about similar information on non-CVs? How about some facts instead of anecdotes and pictures posted to invoke emotional responses?

About  at the same rate that Caprices used to catch fire as a result of crashes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Police departments want officers to ride around in APCs but want to pay Hyndai prices. The Crown Vic is what you end up with. You want a tank? Pay for a tank! Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Women drivers  

+1!

Miz LWilde  Me...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell all that to him:

Maybe,  just maybe,   less personal agenda and emotional crap and a little education is on your plate?  I have a year's worth of education in Accident Reconstruction,  worked nothing else for 5 years, and taught Accident Investigation.  Made the acquaintance of a whole herd of  scummy lawyers. Every claim I've seen on CV fires is pure fresh from the farm horseshit.

I drive a Crown Vic every day.  At work and my own.  If you do a little research that does not involve some lawyer trying to influence prospective jurors, you will find that every "Crown Vic" fire these scumbags point out results from gross deformation of the vehicle in collisions.  ( In some of the cases presented the CV is actually in several pieces) A bladder would not be much of a help, if at all.   1 foot of intrusion into the area, and they'll rupture too.    

NO vehicle is safe from fire under these conditions.  It's a money grab,  one you swallowed hook line and sinker.  You don't understand the subject at all, which means you'll make a wonderful juror for them.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

[\quote]

Statistically any vehicle commonly used by police freeway patrols will spend a lot of its time parked by the side of a road next to high speed traffic. Sometimes those cars (whatever model) will be hit from behind at high speed. Since the Crown Vic makes up a very high percentage of freeway patrol vehicles, they are going to be hit a lot.

The result is that Crown Vics get caught in this 70mph+ rear-enders much more than any other car.

Its more noticeable now since Dodge and Chevy really aren't as big in the LE market as they used to be. Previously such collisions would have been spread among vehicles from the big 3.

Any reasonably priced vehicle (ie. < NASCAR spec) can be expected to have very bad things occur when hit from behind at 70mph+.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#39]
you guys also dont seem to notice that the power supply for the high intensity strobes that are all over that damn car is mounted in the trunk and when it gets knocked out of its mounts it can start arcing, some reports have said up to 6-8 inches.  now combine that with some leaking fuel and you get fire.  perhaps they need to look into a better grounding setup for these systems.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#40]
SHE was "rearended"...guess that could be enough to cause a wreck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1....AGAIN.  Why dont we just equip all LEOs with Suburbans and Expiditions, or better yet some Deuce + halves! That'll cure these Oh so easy to explode Vics......People are so blind to the facts and statistics.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#42]
She got her gas tank smashes no dought sparks followed as the sheetmetal brushed against the pavment caught fire end of story, any car would have went up.

The CV's have been fixed by ford, so I don't see a problem any more. I have seen two BMW'S catch fire and I have seen a Chevy full size get its ass kicked by a kia. So what it has very little to do with the maker of the car but on proper car and the situation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell all that to him:

I'm sick of this Schechterle BS.  That guys was hit in the rear at a dead stop by a taxi going well over the speed limit!  Tell me how many other cars would fair so well.  I feel bad for the guy, yes, but wake up man, it wasn't a run of the mill accident!

Schechterle was on patrol the night of March 26, 2001. He was stopped at an intersection when a taxi transporting a man just released from jail slammed into the back of his 1996 Crown Victoria. The taxi's speed is in dispute -- somewhere between 85 and 115 m.p.h. Everyone in the taxi survived; according to Schechterle, the taxi driver was having an epileptic seizure.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Friends don't like Friends drive Furds.  

Friends don't let friends drive IMPORTS!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I have drover several crown vics, Id rahter be in one of them in an accident then a smaller car.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#47]
that actually sounded like a pretty serious high speed crash as opposed to pulling somebody over and loosing control
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#48]
If you want to play a game with statistics, consider that nearly *all* the late-model Crown Vic's on the road have very high mileage.  Add that with the fact that those same Crown Vic's spend most of their service lives in somewhat dangerous environments (chases, stopped on the side of a busy freeway, etc) and it is no surprise to me that they *seem* to be involved in a lot more firey crashes than say, the entire fleet of Volvo 240's on the road.

And each accident should be investigated *on its own merits* before blindly suing the manufacturer.  Rear ended by a semi truck?  Hit by a taxi going 85+?  Those are two examples that to me seem hard to blame Ford on.  I want to see details on a Crown Vic that just burst into flame on its own, then you can go hire the likes of John Edwards...

-Gator
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If you want to play a game with statistics, consider that nearly *all* the late-model Crown Vic's on the road have very high mileage.  Add that with the fact that those same Crown Vic's spend most of their service lives in somewhat dangerous environments (chases, stopped on the side of a busy freeway, etc) and it is no surprise to me that they *seem* to be involved in a lot more firey crashes than say, the entire fleet of Volvo 240's on the road.

And each accident should be investigated *on its own merits* before blindly suing the manufacturer.  Rear ended by a semi truck?  Hit by a taxi going 85+?  Those are two examples that to me seem hard to blame Ford on.  I want to see details on a Crown Vic that just burst into flame on its own, then you can go hire the likes of John Edwards...

-Gator

Thank you very much... It's funny how so many people who say dont blame the gun for the death, it's the person who pulled the trigger are willing to blame a car for accident thats that are SO far out of the ordinary when it is a case of people creating the circumstances that precede the accidents.

S.O.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top