Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 4:40:39 AM EDT
hamptonroads.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D85LSHT80

Local residents arrive to examine a destroyed building in the center of Fallujah, west of Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday morning, Oct. 12, 2004 following an U.S. air strike. U.S. warplanes struck twice in rebel-held Fallujah early Tuesday, destroying a popular restaurant and a house which the U.S. command said were used by members of Iraq's most feared terrorist organization. There was no immediate word on casualties. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

U.S. and Iraqi Forces Raid Ramadi Mosques They Say Were Used by Insurgents
BAGHDAD, Iraq --  Iraqi forces backed by U.S. soldiers and Marines raided mosques Tuesday in the insurgent stronghold of Ramadi and detained a prominent cleric following fierce clashes that hospital officials said killed at least four people.

U.S. aircraft also rocketed a mosque northwest of Ramadi on Monday after insurgents opened fire from there on U.S. Marines, the command said.

The seven mosques targeted in Ramadi are suspected of supporting insurgents through a range of activities, including harboring terrorists, storing illegal weapons caches, promoting violence and encouraging insurgent recruitment, the U.S. command said.

Sheikh Abdul-Aleim Saadi, the provincial leader of the influential Association of Muslim Scholars, was detained at Mohammed Aref Mosque, his relatives and followers said.

Angry residents accused Americans of disrespecting the sanctity of city mosques.

"This cowboy behavior cannot be accepted," said cleric Abdullah Abu Omar of the Ramadi Mosque. "The Americans seem to have lost their senses and have gone out of control."

The 1st Marine Division said the raids followed a pattern of insurgent activity in and around Ramadi mosques in recent weeks.

"The 1st Marine Division respects the religious and cultural significance represented by mosques," it said in a statement. "However, when insurgents violate the sanctity of the mosque by using the structure for military purposes, the site loses its protective status."

The participation of American Marines and soldiers in the raids was limited to supporting Iraqi security forces, said Brig. Gen. Joseph Dunford, assistant division commander of the 1st Marine Division.

The raids followed two days of clashes in the city, a Sunni militant stronghold 70 miles west of Baghdad. Insurgents fired two mortars at the city hall and neighboring police directorate Monday night, sparking gunfire and rocket-propelled grenade exchanges, residents said.

Three policemen and a civilian were killed, said Dr. Dhia Abdul-Karim, at the city hospital.

U.S. forces have also clashes with insurgents holed up in mosques in other areas.

On Monday, U.S. aircraft attacked a mosque in the nearby town of Hit and set it on fire after insurgents hiding in the shrine opened fire on American Marines, the U.S. military said.

In Mosul, 225 miles northwest of Baghdad, insurgents opened fire from a mosque after a car bomb exploded in front of a U.S. convoy, the military said. One U.S. soldier was killed and nine were wounded, the U.S. command said. City hospitals reported at least two Iraqis killed and 18 wounded.

U.S. and Iraqi forces are trying to clamp down on rebel enclaves in time to hold nationwide elections in January.

On Tuesday, Turkey's foreign minister confirmed that 10 Turks abducted last month in Iraq had been freed. Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul said 10 employees of the Turkish construction company VINSAN were released and that their families were notified of their release.

"They are in good health, they were not treated badly, they're very happy to be released," Ali Haydar Veziroglu, VINSAN chairman of the board, told private NTV television by telephone from Baghdad.

Al-Jazeera television had reported the release of the 10 hostages on Sunday but Gul's announcement was the first confirmation that they were free. The Ankara-based construction company announced in late September that it was halting operations in Iraq.

In insurgent-held Fallujah, U.S. warplanes struck twice early Tuesday, destroying a popular restaurant and a house which the U.S. command said were used by members of Iraq's most feared terrorist organization. At least five people were killed and two wounded, the city hospital said.

A 12:01 a.m. blast destroyed the Haj Hussein restaurant as well as nearby shops, residents said. The restaurant was closed at the time, but two night guards were killed said Dr. Ahmed Thaer from Fallujah General Hospital.

The U.S. military command in Baghdad made no mention of the restaurant but said the target was used as a meeting place for the Tawhid and Jihad terror network, led by Jordanian-born extremist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

"Following the engagement, secondary explosions were reported, indicating the strong likelihood of weapons caches and explosive devices," the statement said. "Terrorists frequently planned operations from this location."

The second blast occurred at 4:02 a.m. and flattened a building in northeastern Fallujah which the U.S. command said was a known terrorist safehouse. Intelligence sources confirmed that al-Zarqawi associates were using the building at the time of the strike, a military statement said.

At least three people were killed and two wounded in the blast, Thaer said.

Al-Zarqawi's network has claimed responsibility for numerous car bombings, kidnappings and beheadings of foreign hostages, including American businessman Nicholas Berg, South Korean translator Kim Sung-il, British civil engineer Kenneth Bigley and U.S. engineers Eugene Armstrong and Jack Hensley.

U.S. commanders say weeks of air and ground strikes in Fallujah have inflicted serious damage to al-Zarqawi's network.

Tuesday's strikes were the first since Oct. 6. The Iraqi government has reported progress in negotiations to restore control over the city 40 miles west of Baghdad.

The latest violence came a day after Shiite fighters in Baghdad's Sadr City slum unloaded cars full of machine guns, mortars and land mines as a five-day, weapons-for-cash disarmament program got started.

A lasting peace in the sprawling slum would allow U.S. and Iraqi forces to focus on the mounting Sunni insurgency in Fallujah, Ramadi and elsewhere. Underscoring the threat, two American soldiers were killed in a rocket attack in another part of the capital Monday.

In Sadr City, followers of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr promised the government last weekend they would hand over medium and heavy weapons for cash in a deal considered an important step toward ending weeks of fighting with U.S. and Iraqi forces. Iraqi police and National Guardsmen will then assume security responsibility for the district.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
"This cowboy behavior cannot be accepted," said cleric Abdullah Abu Omar

Don't want to get the horn  --- leave the bull alone.

That is all I got to say on this matter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#3]
He says "cowboy" like it's a bad thing.

Some jobs take a cowboy.

Yippee-kiyay.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"This cowboy behavior cannot be accepted," said cleric Abdullah Abu Omar

Don't want to get the horn  --- leave the bull alone.

That is all I got to say on this matter.

I tell my wife the same thing, but she keeps wearin those sexy panties.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Its about time the bullshit of " House of God is off limits " is going by the wayside.

If you use a house of worship as a base it should be a target.  I think this could be a turning point in fighting petty warlords/clerics
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:18:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait till the whining bitch gets the spurs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#7]
"The Americans seem to have lost their senses and have gone out of control."

That is too fucking funny
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Yippee-kiyay.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Apparently, Abdullah Abu Omar didn't pay attention to the results of the Cowboys vs the Indians games from about 150 years ago, back before the game was played with a ball in a stadium.  Looks like this game of Cowboys vs Muslim Terrorists ain't going the way ol' Abdullah Abu Omar believed it would.  I like it like that!  

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Wooohooo! We're finally playing Cowboys and Arabs! Let's hope it turns out as badly for the Rabs as it did for the Indians (no offense to my Native friends -I'm 1/8th Cherokee).
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Cowboy up.

Don't use Mosques as operations centers and we won't attack them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck you Imam Hashibabi.File a complaint with the ACLU in france.Bwaaaaahaaaaaa.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wooohooo! We're finally playing Cowboys and Arabs!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He says "cowboy" like it's a bad thing.

Some jobs take a cowboy.

Yippee-kiyay.

My thoughts exactly........
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn!  Must be having an effect huh?  Good-O!

Put the spurs to 'em Dubya!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wooohooo! We're finally playing Cowboys and Arabs!

+1!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wooohooo! We're finally playing Cowboys and Arabs! Let's hope it turns out as badly for the Rabs as it did for the Indians (no offense to my Native friends -I'm 1/8th Cherokee).

LOL!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]

-- Iraqi forces backed by U.S. soldiers and Marines raided mosques

I dont think its as much the US soldiers playing cowboy its the American lead Iraqi force that is playing cowboy on their own Indians. Those Iraqi's need to start kicking ass and taking names of the trouble makers if they ever want to get out of the fucking stone age.

The faster they start picking up their own shit the faster we can move on.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

-- Iraqi forces backed by U.S. soldiers and Marines raided mosques

I dont think its as much the US soldiers playing cowboy its the American lead Iraqi force that is playing cowboy on their own Indians. Those Iraqi's need to start kicking ass and taking names of the trouble makers if they ever want to get out of the fucking stone age.

The faster they start picking up their own shit the faster we can move on.

Roger, that!   But, until then, 8 seconds can be a VERY long time!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

LOL.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#24]
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." --Gen. George S. Patton

"You do not have to choose up sides to be a combatant. The other people will do it for you." --Jeff Cooper

"Americans eat disasters and crap hand grenades. And I got your quagmire right here." —Bill Whittle

Good F*ckin' riddance...........
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#25]
It is obviously Bush's fault!

"Yippee Ki Yay motherfucker"

Guess that diaper-head wants Skerry and his gentler, more sensitive war.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Cowboy up.

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cowboy up.

+1

Has to be said again. Fuck you and your followers Omar, I hope you get ass raped by a 600lb boar hog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I hate to say it but history repeats itself. Everyone has made the same mistake over and over again. They all say "those Americans are fat, lazy, stupid playboys, They have no heart for a real fight"  Just give'em a bloody nose and they will run. And they also say that We (usa) misunderstand their culture which leads to trouble. Well guess what? They misunderstand OUR culture!! Americans and Westerners in general are the most genocidal peoples ever to walk the face of the earth!! We like to relax with the spoils we've taken, which outsiders mistake for decadence. But Whole languages, peoples and  cultures have been wiped off the face of the earth when they opposed the Westerner. In fact the only real opponents we've faced were ourselves, HAHAHAHA! Germans vs. Americans, American civil war, Napoleonic wars, Naval battles to control the entire worlds oceans, etc. So I say let the fools think we are weak, it will only give us an excuse to take what is theirs. Except for the women of course, they can keep their ugly, hairy and smelly women.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#29]
yee-haw, bitch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Moslems lost their senses and went out of control many years ago.

We're just playin' Cowboys and Moslems, and we do it better than they do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
fuck omar and the camel he rode in on!

send in the marines and clean da house!

+1

Did these FUCKS forget Scott Helvenston and the other three other brave former Operators who were AK'd, RPG'd, dragged from their vehicles, beaten, burned, dragged through the streets of FALLUJAH and hung from a bridge while the residents of FALLUJAH danced and cheered?

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." Here is an article I wrote regarding the killing and mutilations of Scott Helvenston and the other three Operators in Fallujah, in March of 2003.

Outrage in Fallujah by Ishoot2live

FALLUJAH

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#33]
If they'd a whistled "Dixie' instead of pullin' their pistols, the mosque would have still been standing.

ETA, whistler's mother didn't raise no fool.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#34]
If they'd clean their own house, we wouldn't need to clean it for them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#35]
My heroes have always been cowboys. Duck Omar...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]
About time we blew some mosques up!  Like a wise ARFCOMMER once said:

SORRY ABOUT THE MOSQUE, BUT IF ALLAH CAN WAGE A WAR, ALLAH CAN LOSE A WAR.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#37]
It's like kids playing tag where the Mosque was 'safe'.

Now they gotta play a new game.... well, what's left of them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top