Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 11:48:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not terribly impressed.  But then again I'm not really sure if I like the new mustang, although it is a heck of a lot better looking than the past several generations of it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you really want to be standing in front of a car with smoking rear tires?  Hmmm?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
No SHit, doing a burnout in a parking lot full of spectators??
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:41:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Burning down a set of tires doesnt appeal to me much, at $150 each that would get expensive
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Some info on the new plant making the Poon-Tang.  Apparently the orders are 60% higher than expected. Build quality should according to the article be very good.

www.allfordmustangs.com/artman/publish/article_418.shtml

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:24:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm not terribly impressed.  But then again I'm not really sure if I like the new mustang, although it is a heck of a lot better looking than the past several generations of it.

What??? You didn't like the Mustang II of the mid 70's????

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]
it sok,,stangis cool the driver is a jackass so is the rest of the 2fast 2 fagging group behind /in front/aroundhim
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:05:58 AM EDT
[#10]
my yugo could do that
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Heh, I'll bet he doesn't have a line lock, which means that's hell on his rear brakes too.

Used to do it in my old Camar-slo all the time and my rear brakes were useless before long.

Still, I like the 05 Mustang 100% more than the previous series.  And what's really friggin sad is that Chevy doesn't have an answer for it, they are too busy selling Aveos built in Korea now...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the 05 'stangs look pretty decent.  It's a Mustang I'd consider if I were looking for a new car.    Being a F.O.R.D., the only good thing about it would be that I can get a decent discount through work on it.  Otherwise I generally avoid domestics.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Ha! His rear brakes are mirrored! Not too bad really considering that he an amature, not a professional. A line-lock would have kept him in one place though. Anyone know what the 05 Saleen's are going to look like?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I am never impressed if they have to use thier brakes!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:43:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Latest car rag clocked a factory Mustang 0-60 times:  5.1 seconds    Thats one fast factory 'Stang comparing to almost any factory Mustang of ANY year.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Real safe.   Not.

I've done smokier, funny burnouts in my former 1985 Corvette.    Used to have a blast when it was time for new tires.   So much smoke I'd have to stop the car, since I couldn't see where I was going.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Burning down a set of tires doesnt appeal to me much, at $150 each that would get expensive

I would like to know where you are buying MAX performance tires for 17 or 18 inch rims at $150.00.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to know where you are buying MAX performance tires for 17 or 18 inch rims at $150.00.

+1   ?!?

Also, I would like to know how many dealerships "test" these cars in this manner!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Hmm, how convenient, Steeda happens to be right in my backyard....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I've seen the silver one that was shown at the Detroit show in person.  Now I'm a Mustang guy, but haven't really had the itch to buy a new one.  That thing looked SMOKIN' and almost had me whipping out my checkbook right there.  

Ford did their homework on this one.  It should be a very popular car for them, since there really isn't anything from Chevy or Chrysler in this price category that competes.  (Chevy means stepping up to a Corvette, Chrysler means the Viper).

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:20:57 AM EDT
[#22]
So when is this '05 Mustang due to be in the dealers show rooms?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Crown Vics do better burn outs ups!  

Fixed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Heh, I'll bet he doesn't have a line lock, which means that's hell on his rear brakes too.

Used to do it in my old Camar-slo all the time and my rear brakes were useless before long.

Still, I like the 05 Mustang 100% more than the previous series.  And what's really friggin sad is that Chevy doesn't have an answer for it, they are too busy selling Aveos built in Korea now...

Looks like he does have a line lock and a locked rear differential as you can see by the even burn pattern of the skid marks.

With that said.... The guy is an idiot.

Autoweeks review:

Mane Street USA: The original Pony Car gallops into the 21st Century
NATALIE NEFF
Published Date: 10/4/04
2005 FORD MUSTANG GT
ON SALE: Now
BASE PRICE: $24,995
POWERTRAIN: 4.6-liter, 300-hp, 315-lb-ft V8; rwd, five-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3483 pounds
0 TO 60 MPH: 5.5 seconds (est.)

PHOTOS: 2005 FORD MUSTANG GALLERY

>> The Mustang lives. After 40 years—25 of them with no big changes—the original pony car gets its long-awaited redo. No, the 2005 Mustang is not a perfect car. We’d change a few things if we could, and we’ll tell you exactly what. But we are thrilled the ’Stang is still kicking.

Why do we care so much? After all, there are plenty of cars to satisfy an enthusiast’s itch, from the M3 to the 350Z to the Boxster. Besides, we’ve survived for the last couple of years without a Camaro or Firebird. Surely a world without this American icon would be acceptable, no? Perhaps, but would you want to live in it?
Bloodlines count for a lot; they proffer a credibility earned only by the passing of time. And with the Mustang, its history is our history, we lovers of cars and the people behind them. Our wealth and wars, our booms and busts are writ in its sheetmetal. We won’t rehash it all for you here, but the talking points go something like: April 1964, Shelby, GT350, Mach 1, Bullitt, GT500, Cobra Jet, Boss, Cleveland, Trans-Am, Super Cobra Jet, Mustang II, Ghia, King Cobra, 5.0, SVO, Cobra, SVT, 4.6, Cobra R... Put together, that litany speaks to one lusty love affair. The rollout of the ’05 assures that affair will continue.

The new design is stunning in form and perfect in its interpretation and execution of Mustang-ness—and (surprisingly) not the caricature that are so many designs from the House of J. From the side, the long hood and rear deck, sloping fastback, protruding upper lip and scooped flanks—all hallmarks from the original edition that have survived over the years—look fresh in their 21st century interpretation. Even the shrunken-looking rear quarter-window mimics the vents found on the old fastback.

The rear end borrows the original’s taillight design with its vertical lenses in triplicate flanking a centrally placed round badge; the front end returns to a forward-leaning honeycombed grille design and wide-set trapezoidal headlights.

The story continues inside the car, where the four round vents and instrument cluster sit in line under dual squared-off dash hoods, a three-spoke steering wheel and a vintage Mustang hub-mounted emblem defining the driver’s side. We particularly like the instrument panel, its dual gauges rimmed in chrome. We can do without, however, the "industry’s first available color-configurable instrument cluster." Adjusting it takes far too long with too many pushes of the buttons. Perhaps we wouldn’t mind if it used a simple dial.

Pretty as it is, there’s not much of a power or performance story here. In a lot of ways the 2005 picks up right where the current car leaves off, only now there is more of it: The Mustang has grown in every dimension, with a few extra horses tossed in to more than offset the weight gain. Now on a 5.8-inch-longer wheelbase, overall length grows by 4.8 inches compared
with the 2004 model. It stands 2.3 inches taller, with a 0.8-inch-wider body carrying a 2.4-inch-wider track. All that extra sheetmetal translates into more heft at the curb, 61 pounds in the V6 (to 3351) and 136 in the GT (to 3483). Despite that, the GT’s power-to-weight improves to 11.61 pounds per horsepower vs. the current car’s 12.87.

The base car does get a new engine, an overhead-cam 4.0-liter V6 (replacing the 3.8-liter pushrodder) that puts out 17 more hp and 15 more lb-ft of torque, to 202 hp and 235 lb-ft. The GT, however, settles for the same 4.6-liter V8 it has had since 1996; new three-valve heads give the V8 40 extra horses and 18 lb-ft of torque, up to 300 hp and 315 lb-ft for 2005. A five-speed automatic replaces the four-speed box, while the GT uses the same manual tranny as the current car, a five-speed unit with almost identical gear ratios.

As much as we love the design, it looks like a plastic injected-molded toy with its silvery decals peeled off. The lines are all there, the proportions are right, but the front end needs some jewelry, as does the rear, perhaps a bit of brightwork or a paint detail. The flanks rely on one element, that faux scoop, for the entire statement. There’s nary a pinstripe in sight, and any chrome you see is relegated solely to badge duty. Message to Ford: Monochrome themes, like ovals, can be taken too far.

Inside, with so much right going on, we find it disappointing that Ford cheaped out on details. Rap just about any surface and you’ll bruise your knuckles; pull on the steering column stalks and you’ll fear that they’ll break. The door-mounted speaker covers won’t likely survive long, either: They’re positioned exactly where you want to push the door open with your foot. Most of the finishes do look acceptable—we’ve seen far worse graining, some in "better" cars. We’d suggest a little soft-touch material would go a long way, especially toward imparting a quality of craftsmanship and a respect for the owner’s hard-earned cash.

All of that we can deal with. What we can’t comprehend is Ford continuing to equip the first 21st century Mustang with a live rear axle. We understand that an independent rear suspension—like the one found on the most recent SVT Cobra—costs more to design and build. Somehow the competition, like the Pontiac GTO or even the Nissan 350Z, squeezed it into the price of admission. One explanation from Ford: A full 25 percent of Mustang owners customize their cars, and the solid rear allows for a much easier change-out of gears. Another: It makes for better drag strip performance. We don’t buy it.

On the track the Mustang definitely feels livelier than the outgoing model, with a satisfying throttle-driven rear-drive feel. And you can have a ton of fun at the track, as we did for a day at GingerMan Raceway in western Michigan. Steering is crisper than before, and the chassis was easy to set up into turns with a lift off the gas and quick flick of the wrist. There was plenty of power to pull us out of the final, hard right and back onto the long frontstraight. That improved power-to-weight definitely makes itself known at the top end. Braking deep into the first turn produced little drama, and set the car up nicely for the
90-degree left. Without benefit of an actual back-to-back run, the Mustang felt a bit sharper than the GTO, but it falls short of the robust performance of the 350Z.

Granted, at $19,410 the base Mustang is considerably less expensive than the Z car (at $27,030), but the $24,995 sticker for the GT warrants an independent rear. You know it’s coming on the Cobra, after all.

The Mustang comes with an acceptable standard-equipment list for its sticker. Among other things, V6 models, which account for 70 percent of Mustang sales, come equipped with air, power mirrors, doors and windows and an in-dash CD player. They also get four-wheel disc brakes—11.4-inch vented fronts and 11.8-inch rears—behind 215/65R-16 tires on aluminum wheels.

GTs get bigger brakes—dual-piston calipers on 12.4-inch vented discs in front, 11.8-inchers in back with four-channel ABS—as well as 235/55ZR-17 tires and a stainless-steel dual exhaust. Options include traction control, an interior upgrade package and a two-tone color scheme, side airbags and a better stereo system.

All told, the Mustang offers a handsome package wrapped in a historic nameplate, its provenance not dimmed by some of its shortcomings. With that, we’re set for another 40 years. And those tuners have a new starting point.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Do you really want to be standing in front of a car with smoking rear tires?  Hmmm?

No joke. That's perhaps the DUMBEST stunt I've seen in a while.

I guarantee you that within a few years, one of these bozos will be up for the Darwin Award.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Bleh!!!! He has nothing on this guy!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like he does have a line lock and a locked rear differential as you can see by the even burn pattern of the skid marks.

With that said.... The guy is an idiot.

I think LSD, you can see 1 tire spinning briefly by itself, when he is burning out in reverse.

Remind me not to buy an silver used 2005 Mustangs..................... that one is just being beat.

Should call the Humane Society.................... he's beating that pony.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

GREAT ending!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

What the heck kinda of little car is that????

It sounded electric ...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the heck kinda of little car is that????

It sounded electric ...

It looked like a "mini" or something similar, but modded, not the lack up bumpers etc.

That's the fastest golf cart, I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No joke. That's perhaps the DUMBEST stunt I've seen in a while.

I guarantee you that within a few years, one of these bozos will be up for the Darwin Award.

+1  I'd be watching this one from a really safe distance (and behind cover too).
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#32]
............when your daddy is buying your tires!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#33]
A local dealership has '04 GTs and Cobras on sale. I go there every week just to drool.

Can't wait for the '05s.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Yawn   I've done better burnouts than that in an old POS 73 Maverick I had.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I have seen guys doing better burnouts then that in Moab driving an old tube Toyota crawler on 40" tires and in 4 wheel drive.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#36]
My friends 84 Toyota Celica could do better then that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I am never impressed if they have to use thier brakes!

Kinda hard to do a traditional rolling burnout when you have a brick building in front of you. Not to mention he wanted to "spin" it around the corner.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#38]
burnouts = dumb.

burnouts near a crowd = really dumb.

I've seen a 4 cylinder Volkswagen at Waterfest produce better burnouts than that stang.  Of course, it was still dumb.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GREAT ending!

Looks kinda like a moped or fat chick, a blast to ride but you'd never admit it....

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

255/50/17 Runs around 150 per tire when I have to buy them, thats some of the cheaper ones, the cheaper ones I hear go out alot quicker,

They are not going on my Bling rims, they are going on my scratched rims on my 3 times wrecked impala.  The rims are scratched since my mom thought it would be nice to wash the car for me when I was out of town, used a brillo bad to get the rims clean.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

255/50/17 Runs around 150 per tire when I have to buy them, thats some of the cheaper ones, the cheaper ones I hear go out alot quicker,

They are not going on my Bling rims, they are going on my scratched rims on my 3 times wrecked impala.  The rims are scratched since my mom thought it would be nice to wash the car for me when I was out of town, used a brillo bad to get the rims clean.

Get some jewlers roush and some good buffing pads for a dremel tool and spend the afternoon cleaning them up. Probably wont look as good as new but will be better.

S.O.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top