Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 7:02:58 PM EDT
Does anyone here actually listen to the audio commentary on a DVD.  Every time I get a DVD that says "Special features" I figure its something cool like cut scenes or something, but no its a damn commentary.  If I wanted to watch a movie while hearing a bunch of people talk over it, I'd borrow the robots from MST3K, otherwise all this feature does is annoy me and its hard to imagine someone wanting it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Too damned long, don't have the time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The audio commentary on the  Way of the Gun DVD is worth watching.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I do on movies where I really want to get into the head of the people who made it.  My wife does too.  But for most movies I could care less.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
*raises hand*

About 20% of commentaries are an absolute waste of time, most are just OK, but about 20% is just plain cool and informative.  For example, the commentary for UHF, Willow, Shrek and LOTR.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Usually.  I'll watch the normal track first and then go back and do the comment track(s) later.

It's one of the things that make DVD's so much bang for the buck compared to rip-off CD's.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I do, but only after I have already watched the film all the way through one time.

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The only ones I have listened to are all of the ones on the first two Lord of the Rings EE's and the two of the three on the Black Hawk Down Special editions.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish the DVD for Red Dawn had a commentary.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Commentary for that would rock
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I listen to it sometimes, I remember in Bubba Hotep the audio track was Elvis watching the movie with you, making comments about how 'he' wouldnt do this or that, like in the movie....

Sometimes the 'extra scenes' they add on the DVDs are actually better off not being in the movie anyway- they were removed for a reason.  Apocalypse Now is a good example of this. The movie is better without the extra new footage I think.  I mean, come on, that part in the mansion is junk.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Very rarely.   I think I've listened to maybe three commentaries EVER.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I listen to it sometimes, I remember in Bubba Hotep the audio track was Elvis watching the movie with you, making comments about how 'he' wouldnt do this or that, like in the movie....

Sometimes the 'extra scenes' they add on the DVDs are actually better off not being in the movie anyway- they were removed for a reason.  Apocalypse Now is a good example of this. The movie is better without the extra new footage I think.  I mean, come on, that part in the mansion is junk.....

Yea it made it drag even more.

I never watch the commentary
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
If it's a good movie I'll watch with the audio commentary on the second time. The director often has interesting stuff to say about making the movie, and why he made the choices he did. The actors sometimes have amusing stories, but they're not very intresting most of the time.  If it's disposable entertainment I'll skip the commentary. But, come on: wouldn't you want to listen to Hitch talk about "Vertigo" or "Rear Window" while watching it?

WotG, Ronin, and the EE LoTR movies all have good commentary tracks.

Speaking of which Return of the King EE is due out in mid-December. Fifty minutes of new footage! W00t!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Commentary for that would rock

Yeah, I wish they would make a Red Dawn 2, where its the Chinese invading us and they get help from the Mexicans. Do you see the parody?

If I had the money to financially back that I would
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a passing interest in cinematography so I will listen to them for classic films.

The best one I've heard is Michael Jeck's commentary on The Seven Samurai.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I've listened to several of them and have to admit that I've learned a lot about how the movies were made.  They also point out a lot of little things that I had missed when watching it the first time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The audio commentary on the  Way of the Gun DVD is worth watching.

+1

Except for Martin Scorcese movies, the commentary can be pretty good.  I WISH Heat had one.  I've been meaning to set aside some time to watch the commentary with Dick Rude and Alex Cox on Repo Man.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Never.

I got DVD Decryter & DVD Shrink so I could make "watching" versions of my dvds, with none of the extra crap on 'em. When I put the disk in the player, the movie starts; no menus, no nothing---just the movie itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top