Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 1:25:01 PM EDT
Who has what, and how do you like it?

I have a Jewell - the one with no safety or bolt release. I could live without the safety, but the bolt release thing bothers me. I can just see me all shot full of adrenaline, slinging that bolt out of the action and over my shoulder, and into the mud somewhere five yards behind me.

Also, is this Jewell difficult to adjust? And can instructions for it be downloaded from somewhere?

Thanks ...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Far easier and cheaper to simply adjust the factory trigger to ~2.8 lbs.  Still a great pull on it too!

If 2.5-3.0 lbs is still too heavy for you, then a Jewel or Shilen is probably your best bet.  Since I don't have a benchrest rifle though, I don't have one.  I would buy a Jewell for an AR in a heartbeat (if I had extra $200).
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Shilen is a fantastic trigger for a 700.  Adjustable to about 1.5#, IME.

Sam
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Timney triggers are nice too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Pre-1968 Winchester Model 70 trigger system.

Jarhead snipers put those on thier rifles.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Pre-1968 Winchester Model 70 trigger system.

Jarhead snipers put those on thier rifles.

Um....enlighten me.

meanwhile, factory 700 triggers are quite capable of being tuned to a lighter, crisper pull than what anyone other than benchrest shooters would desire.

On the other hand, I have a Shilen trigger on my most-used 700. I've been pleased with it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Far easier and cheaper to simply adjust the factory trigger to ~2.8 lbs.  Still a great pull on it too!

I wholeheartedly agree. You just need to be sure and loctite the adjustment screws when you get things they way you like it. There are complete instructions online if you do a search. I have a 700SS in 7mm Weatherby, and I got down to a consistent 2# pull, but it was too light for my safety concerns. I raised it back up to 2.5#, and it is excellent.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]
GOOD GRIEF!

There is no similarity between the factory trigger and the Jewell!  I have one on a Model 70, an AR and one on a 700 and both bolt action rifles break between 16-18 ounces without creep.  My 700 came with the safety and bolt release option.

They are very easy to tune, but sometimes you need to file the bottom of the bolt some if the bolt decocks itself when you first install.

They have three set screws.  Once for overtravel, one for pull weight and one for sear engagement.  Cock the bolt and turnteh sear angagement screw slowly until the firing pin drops. (Careful.  A small amount of adjustment goes a long way).  Now back it off a half a turn.  Now hammer the bolt shut and see if the pin drops.  Back it off until it wont or shave the lug on your bolt.  Adjust for pull weight and your preferred overtravel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Timney, Jewell, Shillen, and the rest of the triggers are all nice.  Some require more work to install than others, and some people like the feel or trigger width more than others.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
GOOD GRIEF!

There is no similarity between the factory trigger and the Jewell!  .

Yes sir.  My post merely pointed out what the USMC was using on their sniper systems - not what was better.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Timney triggers are nice too.

+1
I've tried them all and I have a Timney in my PSS.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
GOOD GRIEF!

There is no similarity between the factory trigger and the Jewell!  .

Yes sir.  My post merely pointed out what the USMC was using on their sniper systems - not what was better.

And I was just pointing out that the factory trigger is quite adequate (and damn less expensive) for all but the most picky, or the benchrest crowd. I would not want a 16-18 oz. trigger unless it was on a benchrest gun. I would buy a new barrel before I would pay for an expensive trigger. To each his own. The original question was "who has what, and how do you like it."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top