Posted: 10/11/2004 1:11:25 PM EDT
Well, do tell!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you come from a land Down Under?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff mate.

Give it too kids if they look and ask if your eating chocolate on toast.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
do you know where i can order some!

it's an acquired taste  the less you add the better.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it a yeast based product?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I assume its similar to a British product called Marmite. Very salty and great on toast.... my kids love it, though it is pricey here (like $9 for a half-pound jar).
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is it a yeast based product?

That would be called "vagimate"!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
good, salty, i think it would be good as a condiment instead of a sandwich filler
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't like it myself, but those Aussies really dig it.  It is so popular, that the ADF includes a small tube of it in their field rations.  When I was there doing some training while on deployment, we ate their food in the field.  here is a pic of the tube of tactical vegemite.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Salty...not too bad, though...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]
That shit taste like burnt gravy. Nasty!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Too yeasty for my taste.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Colin Hay once did... in a sandwich IIRC.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]
tactical vegemite, lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't like it myself, but those Aussies really dig it.  It is so popular, that the ADF includes a small tube of it in their field rations.  When I was there doing some training while on deployment, we ate their food in the field.  here is a pic of the tube of tactical vegemite.

www.hunt101.com/img/164679.jpg

oh man.  i got to get a tube of tactical vegemite.

can anyone hook me up?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

can anyone hook me up?

This isn't exactly like the "tactical" version, but you could paint it!  

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19262&item=5526664130&rd=1
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you ever licked the bottom of your boot after walking through the cow pasture?

MT
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#17]
OH NO!! I hear a new ARFCOM term coming: "Tactical Vegemite"
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#18]

I assume its similar to a British product called Marmite. Very salty and great on toast.... my kids love it, though it is pricey here (like $9 for a half-pound jar).

I have a jar of Marmite in the pantry, and I love it! Excellent with bread & butter (which I don't often eat any more), makes a beef gravy absolutely perfect, and high in iron if you're particularly run down.

I lived in England as a little boy (my Mother's family is British), and we never have not had it in the house. I think I've even half-convinced my West Texas wife of it's benefits. Good stuff!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#19]
lol YOU YANKS THINK IT'S f67KING peanut butterrrrr and pile it on.  just a small amount on some toast  yum yum yum and it dont taste nothing like  marmite .

ps .also your yank beer sucksssss dead dogs nutz , GIVE SOME VB AND A MEAT PIE  and plz take of the hard hats and play footy like god wanted ya toooooo . lol, stone the bloody crows son.  I never seen a shrimp just a boat load of pawns .

nobody but yanks drink fosters [
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
lol YOU YANKS THINK IT'S f67KING peanut butterrrrr and pile it on.  just a small amount on some toast  yum yum yum and it dont taste nothing like  marmite .

ps .also your yank beer sucksssss dead dogs nutz , GIVE SOME VB AND A MEAT PIE  and plz take of the hard hats and play footy like god wanted ya toooooo  lol stone the bloody crows son  i never seen a shrimp just a boat load of pawns nobody but yanks drink fosters

It's PRAWNS...and yes, Foster's is piss water...give me a Crownie or a Cooper's any day...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ps .also your yank beer sucksssss dead dogs nutz , GIVE SOME VB AND A MEAT PIE  and plz take of the hard hats and play footy like god wanted ya toooooo . lol, stone the bloody crows son.  I never seen a shrimp just a boat load of pawns .

[pulp fiction] English, Motherf$cker, do you speak it!? [/pulp fiction]

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#22]
While I have not confirmed this with a taste test, I think Vegemite and Cosmoline are the same thing. Except Vegemite smells stronger and probably tastes stonger.

Just kidding, somewhat. Vegemite is a yeast extract and edible, Cosmoline is an inedible grease.

I won't willingly eat either of them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

can anyone hook me up?

Sorry man, I actually threw it out when I moved a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
My son brought some home from Australia this summer.  It wasn't that bad!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]
An Aussie in the office where I work had a jar in the fridge....and frankly, it's pretty much what I expect Satan's asscream would smell. So I couldn't get beyond that.

If anything, it just means they're a tough bunch o' sons o' bitches.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

"tactical vegemite" ???

Now THAT's a WMI - Weapon of Mass Indigestion.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]
It taste like an out of control yeast infection.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hey, how do you know what an out of control....  er... um...   you know what....   nevermind.   I don't want to know.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Vegemite and Marmite are both known hazardous materials.  

www.vegemite.com.au/
Vegemite is one of several yeast extract spreads sold in Australia. It is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives. It's thick like peanut butter, it's very salty, and it tastes like - well let's just say that it is an acquired taste!

www.marmite.com/
Marmite is dark brown-colored savory spread made from the yeast that is a by-product of the brewing industry. It has a very strong, slightly salty flavor. It is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it type of food.

You can keep that nasty shit!

Rugby and Soccer are for fags. The only real football is American football.
(J/K, My favorite Rugby team is the New Zealand All Blacks and Aussie Rules Football is excellent - just quit calling it "footie", you sound so gay....)

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, how do you know what an out of control....  er... um...   you know what....   nevermind.   I don't want to know.

Sorry, speculation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said,

Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can’t you hear, can’t you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Buying bread from a man in brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, do you speak-a my language?
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said,

I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder

Lying in a den in bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say
I said to the man, are you trying to tempt me
Because I come from the land of plenty?
And he said,

Oh! do you come from a land down under? (oh yeah yeah)
Where women glow and men plunder?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

can anyone hook me up?

IM FiftyCalibre our resident Aussie, he's with the Aussie Army (Territorials IIRC), I'm sure he can put you right… his latest threads below for the IM

We get the standard jars of the stuff here in England… my Wife loves that shit… I won't go near it! Smells like a cats arse!

Andy

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=282832
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a jar of vegemite and a jar of marmite. I like them both, but vegemite is definitely the better. It's good. Try it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
OH NO!! I hear a new ARFCOM term coming: "Tactical Vegemite"

That would be a killer ARFCOM screen name.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#35]
for something that smells so bad, it sure has prompted an entertaining thread... I might have to try some.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#36]

I used to work for Kraft Foods and Vegemite was available in the company store.   The picture above (AR-15 added for content!) is one of several ad placards I still have.  I also have several bumper stickers though I have no idea where they are at the moment (my favorite one says "Powered By Vegemite".  I would stick them on our LAN servers in place of the "Intel Inside" stickers).

I used to get several jars for some Aussie friends and tried it myself.  It is very salty though anyone who brews their own beer would recognize the yeast flavor.  Somewhere I still have a new jar lying around though I have not tried the stuff in years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#37]
GROUP BUY!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#38]
YES! LOVE IT!

Of course I've already had several V.B.'s when I tried it!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Do you come from a land Down Under?

I COME FROM THE LAND DOWN UNDER!

Im not in the Army yet Vito, will be in the Reserves in a bit cos I got no time to train cos of uni.  Will join regular Army when I graduate.

Vegemite is YUMMY!  Dont like it heaped on though, just like a small amount.  SOme of my mates can eat spoonfulls of the stuff!  Tastes even better while drunk!

"We love our Vegemite
We all adore our Vegemite
It puts a rose in every cheek!"

A few years back, apparently to promote tourism or to promote the SYdney Olympics, there was an "Aussie fest" or something in Central Park, New York City.  One of the competitions was a vegemite eating competitions, and supposedly alot of people threw up ehehe.

The beer talk reminds me I need more beer...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#40]
There is an anual event here where the local Hawaii army reservests switch off with austrailian reservests and cross train.  I was lucky to go one year.  I too was offered a vegamite sandwitch.  I did not like it.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
There is an anual event here where the local Hawaii army reservests switch off with austrailian reservests and cross train.  I was lucky to go one year.  I too was offered a vegamite sandwitch.  I did not like it.  

Nice!

Hope I get the chance one year!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Would you speak English please.

Good to see you around Will.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Being Australian I should love it but even the smell turns my stomach.
My 9 year old daughter likes it though.
Never saw it in a tube when I was in, but we did have plum and apricot jam tubes as well as condensed milk in the 24 hour and individual meal ratpacks.

Exchange visits were fun when the yanks came over.
We had a NG unit from Ohio in early 90,s that resulted in a lot of broken or bloody noses when they first fired our SLR l1a1,s using live ammo.
Putting your nose up to the rear site not such a good idea with them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I dated a Woman from NZ and she used to eat it on crackers , it didn't pass my sniff test
so I passed on the taste test .
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#45]
So, Americans carry thermite grenades.  Do Aussies carry vegemite grenades?

Never mind.  One of my co-workers with some knowledge of vegemite said that a vegemite grenade is what comes out of your backside after consuming vegemite.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Considering that yeast is a fermenting agent, I have to believe that Vegimite would give you over the top gas.  Is that the case?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top