Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 12:59:35 PM EDT
I posted the question in the Handguns section, but figured I put a link here:  http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=7&t=11146&page=1
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
A stiff plastic ar15 brush and plenty of gunoil. Scrubb hard..

Like one of these!

But if its pitted take to a smith.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is light surface rust, I would try some Flitz, it's really good stuff. It is a super mild abrasive that shouldn't hurt the bluing but just removes a small amounts of rust. And also it leaves behind some rust inhibitor to prevent future rusting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Flitz?  My father used that on some stainless 'satin' finishes and they were 'bright' finishes when he was done.

I've buffed it with a Dremel with a brass brush on LOW with powder solvent and Birchwood-Casey Sheath (at separate times).  That got some out, but I was hoping for something easier/faster.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I use super fine (0000) steel wool and a fairly light touch.

Some folks do this with the addition of some oil.

Keep in mind that this will remove the actual rust, but the metal is still going to be pitted.  However, if the rust is light, the pitting will probably be almost unnoticeable.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Wd40
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Brownells sells some Blue/rust remover that you mix with warm water, Let parts soak, remove rinse & you're done. It worked pretty well in removing the Blueing from an SAR2 I parked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I e-mailed Birchwood-Casey and they told me not to use bluing and rust remover; in fact the first two words of his e-mail were:  Stop Mark  

He recommended using Birchwood-Casey Sheath, 0000 steel wool, and a toothpick.  I already have the Sheath so I guess I'll do this.  I was just hoping for an easy solution.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top