Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2004 11:24:06 AM EDT
I think the kiddo is going to get a game console from santa this year, but I have no experience with them at all.

For those of you in the know, what do you prefer?  PS2?  XBOX?  Other?

Thanks.
Nimslow
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Xbox
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
X-BOX.
Better controller and built-in broadband connectivity.
Games are getting better and more numerous every day.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
How old is the kid. Xbox has alot of cool titles, and I like it better than PS2. If he's younger you might try gamecube
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
How old is the kid? If he's really young, Nintendo's Game-Cube may have a MUCH more suitable variety of games available. Otherwise, XBOX pretty much mops the floor with PS-2's ass. The graphics are just so much better on the XBOX and most new games are available for both systems. Big plus for XBOX is HALO and HALO 2 is due out next month.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Big plus for XBOX is HALO and HALO 2 is due out next month.

Definitely a +1
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]
xbox. microsoft will not be beaten.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They lose money on every system they sell.  They will be beaten.

Sony and Nintendo won't be going anywhere.

eta - I would get him a Nintendo because it is the cheapest and the new systems are right around the corner.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]
xbox.

But, I am biased. The company I work for builds them all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
The kid is just over five.  

I want somthing that can grow with him..Plus I've got to be able to play GTA on it
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The kid is just over five.  

I want somthing that can grow with him..Plus I've got to be able to play GTA on it

The life span of systems is to short to grow with them.

eta - We are so close to the next gen. systems that you would be better off getting a Gamecube now because of the price.  There is no GTA on it, but there are quite a few good games.

I love Nintendo.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta - I would get him a Nintendo because it is the cheapest and the new systems are right around the corner.

for some reason i feel i should take your word as gospel on this issue.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Xbox doesn't have alot of he fuzzy kid-friendly games like gamecube does. It is more geared towards older kids. I'm sure if you look you can get titles appropriate for a 5 yo for Xbox.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Xbox

Waiting for Halo2 and Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic 2
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Xbox
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd definitely go with the Game Cube for a 5 year old. Then get the XBOX and HALO for yourself.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I love my PS2, but I have been used to the controller for year.  I had a PS1 when they first came out, and cost $400.....

I hate the xbox controller, and I hate microsoft.

Both companies sell the systems for less than what it costs to make them.  But the $50 games only cost about a quarter to duplicate.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I grew up playing Playstation so we just had a PS2 afterwards...From what I've been hearing, Xbox doesn't have as many kid friendly games as some others...

PS2 has Crash Bandicoot and can play Playstation games...I grew up playing Crash Bandicoot, that game rocks lol...Collect crystals beat bad guys, in the old ones you get a girl in the bonus level, have some freaky talking mask, race in cars, run from boulders, surf, ride polar bears,and you play with explosives! (TNT and nitro) this is just from personal experience with a game the whole family became obsessed with...
Oh, and PS2 plays DVDs and cds
Eric Idle: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The system isn't what makes them the money...it's the games. With HALO, HALO2 and Battlefront just to name three of them, they aren't going anywhere.

+1 for XBox

No but you can't keep pumping them out only to lose money on them.  Plus microsoft has put itself in a bad position in the next gen systems.  They are going to try and jump the gun on Sony and release their system early.  As a result it will be underpowered compared to the competition and personally I think most people will just wait the little extra time for the Sony.

On a personal level I hope Nintendo continues to learn from the mistakes they have made in resent years and makes a come back with their next system.  Gamecube is a good system, they just need to work on online and 3rd party support.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The system isn't what makes them the money...it's the games. With HALO, HALO2 and Battlefront just to name three of them, they aren't going anywhere.

+1 for XBox

No but you can't keep pumping them out only to lose money on them.  Plus microsoft has put itself in a bad position in the next gen systems.  They are going to try and jump the gun on Sony and release their system early.  As a result it will be underpowered compared to the competition and personally I think most people will just wait the little extra time for the Sony.

On a personal level I hope Nintendo continues to learn from the mistakes they have made in resent years and makes a come back with their next system.  Gamecube is a good system, they just need to work on online and 3rd party support.

They also need to lose the proprietery disk and have a machine that doubles as a DVD plaver.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a friend who owns a Nintendo Gamecube, you can get wireless controllers (meaning you can walk around with them) and four people can play at once in certain games.
Eric Idle: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 for XBox

They also need to lose the proprietery disk and have a machine that doubles as a DVD plaver.

Sony is moving their next system to Blue-Ray, and both Microsoft and Nintendo have not decided between that or HD-DVD.  I think either way Nintendo goes I think it will be backward compatable with this generation.  Since Sony is going Blue-Ray that could end up changing a lot of things in home entertainment, like bye bye DVDs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I opped for the PS2 for little Ramjet. I read that the X-Box had/has overheating issues and they beat you to death in accessories. The PS2 played DVD's and that was a plus.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#24]
XBOX

The XBOX kicks the PS2 ass.

I have BOTH, and its all about XBOX.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#25]
We have all three and it seems that the 6 year old likes the GameCube a bit better.  He loves the Sonic games and Super Mario Melee.  But he'll also break out Halo once in a while.  We really don't have too many kids games on the Xbox.  On the PS2 he'll play Spider-man and Superman every once in a while.  He's also got a GameBoy Advance SP that he plays.  So we are thinking about getting the GBA adapter for the GC this christmas so he can play the GBA games on the TV. I wish I would take more time to play some games, there really are some good ones out there.  As for my personal opinion, as much as I dislike MS, the XBox is sweet and it's got a ton of online-enabled games.  The PS2 has more games than you would ever play and if you get the broadband adapter it can do online, usually for free. The GC is a good system with serious platformers (like Mario) I got the GC last christmas used from EBGames.com for like $70 or something.  It's a great value, moreso than the others and there are a lot of games out there for the system, especially for a 5-7 YO.  It's also got some adult games too, the big ones tend to ship for all systems.  But for my money, I seem to buy more XBox stuff than anything else now.

EDIT: One more thing...  Super Mario Cart Doubledash rocks on the GC.  We have three controllers and can race each other and that's fun, but with DD you can tag team on the same cart.  I'll drive and the kid will pick up items, help me drift around corners and throw stuff at people.  It's a LOT of fun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I have to be the different one here.

PS2 has lots of different games (down to PS1), Light Gun compatibility, plays CDs, DVDs, etc...

It's very portable, and has a much larger game selection than x-box.  I don't know many 5yos that groove on HALO.

For hardcore gamers the x may be the answer, but for a growing kid the ps2 is IMHO the best bet.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I too have had both...I was a BIG PS2 fan...now I have a Xbox...

I have to say that the Xbox is better...graphics, speed, sound. The colors and textures are richer and deeper.

Halo rules...it's awesome game..although I don't like games that switch enemies in the game, and yes that pissed me off when that happened in Halo, it's still a great game with huge maps.

I'm looking forward to Halo2..

The Ghost Recon games are good to..as good if not a tad better than the PC versions...I have both..

I would vote the Xbox...I'm glad that I got one..
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I have PS2 and XBox, and my kids like the XBox better. Oh they are 8, and 11 years old.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#29]
X-Box, hands-down.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Xbox
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I would also go game cube for a tyke.

If it's just for you, I'll pipe in and say xbox as well.  I own that and the ps2 and I never play the ps2 now.  The graphics on my 57" HDTV just look like shit on the ps2.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#32]
My sons (3 1/2 & 6) have a gamecube.  They like it and play the fire out of it.  

That being said, Santa is bringing them an X-Box.  The oldest wants more, and the youngest is along for the ride.  They both like Star Wars games, and I looked and there are like 8 for the X-box, with the 1st ones released going for $5.00 Also, they are coming out with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 2, Shark Tales and other more kid friendly games for it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Many more "age appropriate" games for younger children + teens if you buy the GAME CUBE.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Xbox, for the ease of "customization."  That is if you have the technical knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#35]
XBOX
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#36]
ps2

but i'm a gran tourismo freak
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask Gilette how giving away those razors and charging an arm and a leg for replacement blades is going for them. There are a lot of companies that basically give away one product so that they can charge a hefty premium for the components or replace-ables. So, any money that is lost on the console is made up with pretty made up with the first or second game purchase and anything after that is gravy, and who only has one or two games?

Lots of people only bought PS2 over the XBox the last time because it played the old PS1 games also. Will the PS3 play 1 & 2 games? If not, they will lose even more market share to XBox.

XBox also plays DVDs, though you do have to buy their remote to do it. But then you don't have to use a controller with a limited range and the cord laying on the floor.

For the record, I've got a 7, 5, 3 & 2 year old that all play XBox. The 3 year old is the best of them all.

The point of that though is in the game industry most of the games for a system are not made by the company who makes the system.  Sure they get some money out of it, but not all the profit from the sale of the game.  Being able to sell your system and make money on just that fact is important in the video game industry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 for XBox

Sony is moving their next system to Blue-Ray, and both Microsoft and Nintendo have not decided between that or HD-DVD.  I think either way Nintendo goes I think it will be backward compatable with this generation.  Since Sony is going Blue-Ray that could end up changing a lot of things in home entertainment, like bye bye DVDs.

I don't know what much of that means, but as a typical consumer I don't see DVDs going away anytime soon. The average guy isn't going too excited about having to replace all the DVDs that he just replaced his VHS tapes with. So any new technology is going to need to be backward compatable with DVDs and offer noticable improvements for roughly the same price. Same with CDs. There may be better, more convenient devices available but the CD is so prevalent and "good enough" that the vast majority people aren't going to bother spending a bunch more money for something that doesn't offer the same leap in performance that CDs offered over cassette tapes. I believe that DVDs will remain "good enough" for most people for the foreseeable future. The only feature I can see the typical consumer really wanting and perhaps willing to pay a little more for is a standard, easy to use DVD recording format, but it would still have to be backward compatable to allow the use of existing DVD libraries.

At any rate, Nintendo should get with the program and make their console more of multi-use machine. Seems like I've seen a Game Cube compatable console made by Panasonic for overseas markets that also plays DVDs. We use our XBOX as the DVD player in our home theater system.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#40]
After googling a bit, it sounds like Blu-Ray is pretty much what I just got done saying would be needed for the next logical step in DVDs.

Blu-Ray.com

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD) is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by thirteen leading consumer electronics and pc companies (Dell, Hitachi, HP, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition television (HDTV). Blu-ray makes it possible to record over 2 hours of HDTV, or more than 13 hours of SDTV on a 25GB disc. There are also plans for higher capacity discs that are expected to hold up to 50GB of data.

While current optical disc technologies such as DVD, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM use a red laser to read and write data, the new format uses a blue laser instead, hence the name Blu-ray. The benefit of using a blue laser is that it has a shorter wavelength (405 nanometer) than a red laser (650 nanometer), which means that it's possible to focus the laser beam with even greater precision. This allows data to be packed more tightly on the disc and makes it possible to fit more data on the same size disc. Despite the different type of lasers used, Blu-ray Disc recorders can be made backwards compatible with current red-laser technologies and allow playback of CDs and DVDs.

As HDTV becomes more widespread, the consumer demand for recording HDTV programming will rise. Blu-ray was designed with this application in mind and enables direct recording of the MPEG-2 TS (Transport Stream) used by digital broadcasts, which makes it highly compatible with global standards for digital television. This means that HDTV broadcasts can be recorded directly to the disc without any extra processing or quality loss. To handle the increased amount of data required for HDTV, Blu-ray employs a 36Mbps data transfer rate, which is more than enough to record and playback HDTV while maintaining the original picture quality. In addition, by fully utilizing an optical disc's random accessing features, it's possible to playback video on a disc while simultaneously recording high-definition video.

Blu-ray is expected to replace VCRs and current DVD technology within a few years. The format is also likely to become a standard for PC data storage and high-definition movies in the future.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#41]
PS2 and GameCube offer more kid friendly games.  Xbox games are usually geared for older kids.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I don't know what much of that means, but as a typical consumer I don't see DVDs going away anytime soon. The average guy isn't going too excited about having to replace all the DVDs that he just replaced his VHS tapes with. So any new technology is going to need to be backward compatable with DVDs and offer noticable improvements for roughly the same price. Same with CDs. There may be better, more convenient devices available but the CD is so prevalent and "good enough" that the vast majority people aren't going to bother spending a bunch more money for something that doesn't offer the same leap in performance that CDs offered over cassette tapes. I believe that DVDs will remain "good enough" for most people for the foreseeable future. The only feature I can see the typical consumer really wanting and perhaps willing to pay a little more for is a standard, easy to use DVD recording format, but it would still have to be backward compatable to allow the use of existing DVD libraries.

At any rate, Nintendo should get with the program and make their console more of multi-use machine. Seems like I've seen a Game Cube compatable console made by Panasonic for overseas markets that also plays DVDs. We use our XBOX as the DVD player in our home theater system.

I don't remember what the exact size of Blue Ray discs is but it is way way more than a DVD.  I am not sure of being compatible with existing DVD's but if I had to guess I would say yes.  Current DVDs do not have the space to support High Def. and that is the reason for the change.  Blue-Ray has more memory than HD-DVD and Sony has picked Blue-Ray.

If I remember the numbers right Playsation has a base of around 40 million units.  It is safe to assume that PS3 would have a user base that is similar.  That is 40 million Blue-Ray players in homes.  Combine that with all the studios and movie production power of Sony, Blue Ray could over take DVD's pretty quick.  This is Sony's plan anyway.

With Microsoft wanting to release early, they don't really have the choice of using Blue Ray because the tech. would be too expensive to put into their system.  That leaves them with either HD-DVD or DVD.  When PS and Nintendo come out with their new systems I think Microsoft will find themselves with the least powerful system on the market.  This could all change if MS decides to push back their release date though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#43]
PS-2
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

1)MS has over 1,000,000 subscibers to XBOX Live worldwide, so that's $5 million a month to help defray the per system loss, and that doesn't include the pay content....and MS just inked the deal that brings Xbox Live to EA Sports titles like Madden, etc.  All MS has to do now with Live is count the $$.  Unlike the PS2, MS gets all the income from online.  
2) I'd be interested to hear your CONFIRMED launch dates for either next gen console...those things are still just press release BS at this point. Sony says they'll "show" the PS3 at next year's E3, but it'll take at LEAST a year to get that thing out in Japan, probably even longer.  And I seem to recall yearing a statement from Sony projecting a 10 YEAR life for PS2...which means 2010 for a new system, if you want to believe that.  I think you may be a little ambitious to be labeling these sytems" right around the corner".  There are LOTS of rumors about Christmas '05 for some of the systems, but rumors in the video game business aren't very reliable.  
3)MS has NO reason to  talk seriously about the next box 'til Sony ponies up some specs on their system.  Why would they have to realease it before Sony does?  The pressure is actually on Sony to come out w/ the PS3 first, since the PS2 sucks hind tit graphically to both the Cube and the Box...Sony is the one behind the curve on system horsepower now, certainly not MS.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#45]
xbox hands down. i own both a ps2 and a xbox and i hardly ever touch my ps2 anymore, im just waiting for gran turismo 4 to come out.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:54:13 AM EDT
[#46]
XBOX...though, the PS3 is going to kick Microsoft's ASS if they don't get the XBOX2 right.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1)MS has over 1,000,000 subscibers to XBOX Live worldwide, so that's $5 million a month to help defray the per system loss, and that doesn't include the pay content....and MS just inked the deal that brings Xbox Live to EA Sports titles like Madden, etc.  All MS has to do now with Live is count the $$.  Unlike the PS2, MS gets all the income from online.  
2) I'd be interested to hear your CONFIRMED launch dates for either next gen console...those things are still just press release BS at this point. Sony says they'll "show" the PS3 at next year's E3, but it'll take at LEAST a year to get that thing out in Japan, probably even longer.  And I seem to recall yearing a statement from Sony projecting a 10 YEAR life for PS2...which means 2010 for a new system, if you want to believe that.  I think you may be a little ambitious to be labeling these sytems" right around the corner".  There are LOTS of rumors about Christmas '05 for some of the systems, but rumors in the video game business aren't very reliable.  
3)MS has NO reason to  talk seriously about the next box 'til Sony ponies up some specs on their system.  Why would they have to realease it before Sony does?  The pressure is actually on Sony to come out w/ the PS3 first, since the PS2 sucks hind tit graphically to both the Cube and the Box...Sony is the one behind the curve on system horsepower now, certainly not MS.  

Sony and Nintendo have their systems scheduled for 2006, Microsoft has stated that it wants to be out later part of 2005.  While Sony is behind right now it is because they came out first.  Sony has the largest user base by far.  They are the leader right now, even though they have the least powerful system.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sony has the largest user base by far.  They are the leader right now, even though they have the least powerful system.

Again, a major reason is because it played the old games the everyone had already collected. That and the fact that it came out before the xbox and a lot of people had already bought it and didn't want to buy another system. There is also the fact that the PS2 was a second generation system and there is some obvious customer loyalty since people continue to play the inferior system while still claiming that it is better.

If everyone actually thought that the least powerful system was the best one then we'd still be playing a Sega Dreamcast.

I don't see the PS going away but it will definitely be losing more marketshare in the future to the xbox which will be the top selling platform in the future.

I know that I am going to get flamed for this, but I just don't think that MS will succeed in the video game industry in the long run, I may be wrong but that is just the way I see it.  I am not saying that x-box is a pos system, it's not (I do have issues with it's controller but that is another hijack).  If MS launches a year before Sony and Nintendo it will die when PS 3 comes out.  x-box has not been out long enough for ms to recover the cost of the machine and now they are going to jump the gun and release another system.  Talk about the mistakes that Sega made.

I am not a PS fanboy either, I am Nintendo all the way.  I grew up on the big N and I will die on the big N.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top