Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2004 8:25:31 AM EDT
I am in the process of growing out my hair and it is in that ugly stage.  Please send some words of encourgement over so I don't break down and get it cut.

ETA I am sorta going for that 70s look.  So far it has been 3 1/2 months since I had a high and tigh, so it is about 2 1/2 inches long now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep on growin'. It looks ugly now, but it might look better later. You'll never know if you cut it now.

I grew mine for 1 year, 9 months, no haircut. It looked like crap on me, so that's when I decided to get it cut. Of course, it also helped me discover that medium-length hair like I usually got mine cut to be also looked like crap, and so I started wearing mine short.

Anyhoo, grow it out. See if you like it. Then, cut it or don't. Just don't, I say, DON'T get a mullet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
CUT IT, my roomate has long hair and that shit gets everywhere. Besides, long hair on guys looks a little funny. You don't want to be branded a hippy now do you?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I grew my hair out for a year two summers ago.  Eventually it turned into a massive afro which I got rid of a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
use hair dressing or some hair gel, to keep it neater looking and combed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Cut it!

High and tight never go out of style.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cut it!

+1

To me the most important thing about my hair is that it takes 10 seconds to wash it, 2 seconds to comb/run my fingers through it, and that it doesn't get in my way. I could care less what it looks like as long as it meets those three requirements.  

High and tight seems to fit the bill.

Oh, and one more thing. If it's short I can cut it myself, so it saves me money and time that I would otherwise waste at the barber.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell yeah, I'm going on 5 years now with no haircut other than an occasional trim to clean up the ends.
let me just warn you, get ready to start beating the babes off with a stick.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#9]
All the chicks I talk to on a regular basis tell me I look really good with short hair and I should cut it.  I am hoping they will think it looks good as it actually gets longer, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I grew my hair out for almost a year starting around this tiem last year. This summer it was in that shitty stage and  I coundt do anything to control it for work (outside of work I tied it back with a headband)... and it was too short to tie in a polytail. So I had it braided for a while, and that got annoying and itchy and expensive so I cut it.

I really regret cutting it but oh well.

I'm not college age.

since you are, and dont have a job where you have to look presentable, just let that shit grow. Get a hairline shape up every so often and if your hair is curly tie it back with a nike headband.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Cut it, hippy!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#12]
let the shit grow wild, brother. it's the last time you'll be able to.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually, I am 24 and out of college, but I still consider myself college age.  I current have a career in the business area, but don't come into face to face customer contact.  My employer has no rules on long hair, but it will make me look immature I fear.  However that may not be a problem, as the average age of employees here is 39.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#14]
am 37 and still ware my hair long i've had long hair all my life..
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Shaved mine at the begining of the summer, and it's getting to be time to just clean it up around the ears and neck.  Biggest problem is when I take a nap and my hair on one side will end up sticking up.

70's look?  Let me guess Austin Coutcher (sp?) from that 70's show.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I say cut it.  You won't regret all the money you save on Shampoo and Conditioner.  If you really have to grow it out, use hair ties until you get past the ugly stage.  It'll keep your hair from breaking.  I would only keep growing it out if you've been getting a lot of women to want to play with it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#17]
be sure to grow a yuppie chin mop while your at it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#18]
WTF are hair ties? pic?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#19]
stereotypically, the pony tail sensitive types never get laid and often get beat up by drunk fraternity guys...

be careful out there soldier
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#20]
No pony tail going to be on my head.  Only the shaggy 70s look for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had long hair many times.

Once went 8 years without a haircut. It was past the middle or my back when I shaved my head.

I've grown it out twice since then, each time from a clean shave... couple years, It gets past my shoulders, then I shave it again. Last time was spring of this year. The jury is still out on whether I'll grow it out again. Been keeping it close cropped these past few months.

It does get to be a major PITA to care for.

Once it gets some length, you will score some pie...but only if you have beautiful, thick, lustrous raven locks like mine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cut it!

+1

To me the most important thing about my hair is that it takes 10 seconds to wash it, 2 seconds to comb/run my fingers through it, and that it doesn't get in my way. I could care less what it looks like as long as it meets those three requirements.  

High and tight seems to fit the bill.

Oh, and one more thing. If it's short I can cut it myself, so it saves me money and time that I would otherwise waste at the barber.

What he said
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Brylcreem.

a little dab'll do ya.

grow it out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#24]
A man should only have long hair if he has a mohawk.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Actually, I am 24 and out of college, but I still consider myself college age.  I current have a career in the business area, but don't come into face to face customer contact.  My employer has no rules on long hair, but it will make me look immature I fear.  However that may not be a problem, as the average age of employees here is 39.

That being said, I'd cut it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#26]
EagleArmsHBar...

Grab your avon kit and go post this question in the women shooters forum.   You'll probably find more applicable estrogen-based feedback there about vanity related concerns.

Carry on hippie!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had both.

Long = tactical disadvantage. It can dangle and give you away around a corner if you do not wear a pony tail. Also, as mentioned about fights, if you choose to have long hair you better know how to defend it. Breaking an advesaries wrist can be required with a hair grab. Overall unnecssary tactical disadvantage. Whay do you think armed forces are high and tight?

Long = associated with heavy metal of the past. This was one of the reasons I had mine long. It was almost required to have the look for the band. Now days it is not as important. Just look at Metallica and some of the newer bands. That crap gets hot playing drums.

Long = lots of looks of distrust at gun shows and tactical dealers.

Short = more accepted in the professional world. Just think of it as urban camouflage. It's better to blend in than to stand out as target. Same reason I do not have a bunch of bumper stickers or a license plate advertising to the world I like firearms.

Stippers are about the only women that really like long hair. NOt that there is anything wrong with them, but do you really want to spend you life with one?

Quality women don't care for long hair - one's that hold professional jobs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Long hair is too damn hot.  I keep mine short as possible.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Stippers are about the only women that really like long hair. NOt that there is anything wrong with them, but do you really want to spend you life with one?

Yes.....well, one in particular.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Cut it, ya damned hippie!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#31]
GET A HAIRCUT! AND GET A REAL JOB!

CLEAN YOUR ACT UP AND DONT BE A SLOB!

WHY CANT YOU JUST BE LIKE YOUR BIG BROTHER BOB?!

Damn hippes.... breeding yuppie scum

My little brother has been growing his hair out and he looks like a highschool student... Rap music and wigger-fro do not go well together.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cut it!

+1

+2
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I grew up going my whole life to a private christian school.  If you hair touched your collar then it was time for a haircut.   After graduating I went straight into the Marines and not soon after I spent 6 months in  Desert Shield/Desert Storm.  

After coming back and finishing my time in the Marines I decided it was time to let my hair grow out.  I was working a job where it did not matter what my hair looked like and I let it grow out shoulder length all over.  DONT GROW A MULLET !  you will look stupid...

I kept it that way for awhile but it finally was too much trouble to wash and stuff.  Once the "new" had worn off and nobody was shocked anymore to see "conservative" ol' me with long hair I soon buzzed it all off and that has been many years ago...

I say grow it and enjoy it while you can.  You will get tired of the hassle, I promise you.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Buzz cut that shit dude!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#35]
College dude here, I've been growing mine out for 3 years.  About twice a year I just lob off a few inches of the pony tail.  I can't imagine short hair at this point.  

If I may make a sugestion, until you can put into a pony tail, wear a bandana (hair in the face = annoying).
Stick with it dude!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
All the chicks I talk to on a regular basis tell me I look really good with short hair and I should cut it.  I am hoping they will think it looks good as it actually gets longer, but we'll see.

There's your answer son.
I've let my hair grow out several times, and Chicks always say it looks good short.
So what you do, is find yourself a wife,
the grow it out.
Cuz long hair really rocks, but no CDI factor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
find yourself a wife,
the grow it out.
Cuz long hair really rocks, but no CDI factor.

Alredy found me a wife, and divorced her.

I am kinda broke right now, because I am paying off bills from the wife.  When my hair is short I go on too many date with too many differnt chicks and I spend too much money.  I guess making myself a non-babe magnet is my way of getting out of debt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Shave it every night with a razor. Have for about 8 years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#39]
You guys have hair?

<-- 2wP
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
No pony tail going to be on my head.  Only the shaggy 70s look for me.

Cool!  But that 70's look was all the rage in the 90's.  If you wanna be cool in '05, you have to go back to the 80's.  I suggest getting one of those 'Flock of Seagulls' hairdoos; you'll be sooo cool.

Seriously though, I say let it grow.  Plenty of time later on for you to cut it short and/or go bald.  Enjoy it while you can.  I wore mine long for a couple years in college and later in law school and I just loved it.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I grew my hair out last year. I got a lot of complements, and a lot of friends that did not like it. I say do what you like, because that is what really matters.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#42]
18- cut short.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#43]
The only reason I quit buzzing my hair off is beacuse everyone said I look like "Derek" in American History X.
Then, my instructor at the time started calling me Adolf, which spread to everyone in the class calling me Adolf.

I keep it just a bit more grown out than a high & tight now and the girls love it.  But when it grows out between haircuts it gets nasty looking and I hate it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quality women don't care for long hair - one's that hold professional jobs.

Quality women care for quality men. Hair length ain't got a thing to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Bad picture of myself, but you can see my hair decently well.

http://www.tenringhosting.com/ViewImage.aspx?PID=09a1b24f-b76f-49e2-90ad-a158c6eadccd

I'd recommend about 3/4" to 1.5" longer than this.

He's not talking about a pony tail, guys. Pony tails suck. Shaggy hair is good. Girls my age LOVE hair about my length (and my hair), but then again I'm not college age; I'm 16.

My hair looked really bad for about six weeks when it didn't know whether to go down or stick up.

Another recommendation: do NOT comb your hair. A small amount of gel is fine  (to reduce frizziness), but don't comb it all the time. It'll mess up your hair and make it look stupid. I haven't combed mine in over a year (it was too short to comb before). I've been growing my hair for 8+ months now, but it grows pretty slow. It was originally 3/4". One other problem is that mine is getting too long in the back..at least I think so. Not like I have a mullet or anything, but just that all my hair is the same length, because it was all grown from 3/4".

Good luck. Have any pics?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Ooops! That was my brother's account. The post above is from me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#47]
i'm only growing it out because i've been too busy to take the drive home to get it cut.  i'm partial to who holds the scissors.

i like to have as little maintenance as possible when i wake up in the AM
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#48]
It really depends on how much volume your hair has.  My hair comes in thick and grows fast, and if I grow it long, I need conditioner to keep it from turning into a big curly afro.  Also if I paln to keep it long, I have to have it thinned out because it is so thick and shaggy.

It seems like the guys who have little problems wearing long hair are the guys with really thin hair.  But then again, it's getting thin because it's falling out and pretty soon they are better off shaving it all than attempting a comb-over.  In that case, grow it while you got it!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I can't stand my hair more than about 2 inches long.  I don't know how you damn hippies do it.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#50]
22 not in college though, I keep mine short otherwise it gets annoying?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top