Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 7:15:16 AM EDT
I am looking to get into the stock market and would like to do it online. Who is good who is not and why?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
interactivebrokers.com is good. Lowest commissions, but very little customer service.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
How quickly do most of these companies process your funds? For instance if you buy a stock at say 9:00 am in the morning and then sell it say at 10:00 but then want to buy another stock at say 11:00 do they allow this or is there processing times to be delt with?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#3]
www.sharebuilder.com

I use it because you can deduct money from your paycheck and have it automatically invest it for you every two weeks, or have unlimited buys for a low price.  You can also buy shares for around $4/trade or so, and you can buy partial shares.  So if you want to buy $100 of IBM, and a share is $116, you can.  Pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How quickly do most of these companies process your funds? For instance if you buy a stock at say 9:00 am in the morning and then sell it say at 10:00 but then want to buy another stock at say 11:00 do they allow this or is there processing times to be delt with?

IPSC_GUY

Usually immediately when I used
Q&R (they suck). I just opened an
account with Scottrade, I'll let you
know how that works out. FWIW, I'm
more of a dollar-cost avg kinda guy
rather than a daytrader so I usually
don't have to worry about fund
turnaround times.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Yes - but what are the minimum opening balances on all of these?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#7]
let me see if I can clarify what my intentions are. I have been following a couple of small oil companies. Both started out as penyny stocks. The first sold initially at .30 cents a share and with in six months went to over $7.00 a share and has since fallen back to around $2.50 a share. The other is still in the $.60 range and goes up and down about $.10 cents a day.

I am about to inheit a few thousand dollars from a grandmother, and my idea is to simply follow the fluxuations of the stock (with automatic minimum sell orders in place) and see if I can make some money.

NOW does anyone see a huge flaw in this plan that I am missing? I have never done something like this before, so any advice would be HIGHLY appreciated

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Another quick question, How do most online trading foims work as far as pulling your money out?

IPSC_GUY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top