Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 6:43:25 AM EDT
can anyone please post the picture of the panther stalking the deer at night.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
right click and save will not be up long

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#3]
That's great!!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
You know, As I'm looking at this pic again for the hundreth time, I realize that with a flash of that strength the panther's eye should be relfecting back to the camera.  Do any of you think this might be a couple of mounted animals set up for the pic?  
The stance of the cat is the classic mount I've seen a hundred times.  
There's convieniently brush and trees hiding the feet of both animals (and potetially hiding the planks their mounted on).  
Also, don't the large cats actually start their sprint attack much farther away than this.  
I also think a cat walking through that much brush would have alerted the deer before it could get that close.  
The deers head seems a bit too elevated too for it being in mid stride.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You know, As I'm looking at this pic again for the hundreth time, I realize that with a flash of that strength the panther's eye should be relfecting back to the camera.  Do any of you think this might be a couple of mounted animals set up for the pic?  
There's convieniently brush and trees hiding the feet of both animals (and potetially hiding the planks their mounted on).  
Also, don't the large cats actually start their sprint attack much farther away than this.  
I also think a cat walking through that much brush would have alerted the deer before it could get that close.  
The deers head seems a bit too elevated too for it being in mid stride.

The animals are staged,I believe!

But the SASQUATCH Is real.I know because I saw him play the drums with Tenacious D!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
well, i'm not so sure, i've seen cameras that have flash units separate from the actual camera.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well, i'm not so sure, i've seen cameras that have flash units separate from the actual camera.

The shadow on the deer from the tree indicates the flash was more or less next to the camera.  I'm not a professional photographer, but I do believe the eye reflection would still occur from a cat even if the flash was separate from the camera anyway (human eyes I believe are different).  

Is that a mule deer BTW, kinda looks like a donkey with that skinny tail and big ears, I'm used to whitetail, and i know it ain't a whitetail.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I dunno, with the deer that close to the cat, I'd assume the cat's posture would either be alot more 'tactical' like this guy:

Or in flat-out charge.  
I mean, a deer represents ALOT of calories to a predator, and I have trouble believing that a cougar would be just trotting along the trail with that much food-on-the-hoof so near.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Only if the cat is looking at the camera.  It wasn't in this picture.

Maybe they get mounted like that because it looks natural?  And it would look natural because... ?

Ah, yes.  Not only convenient, but downright suspicious that there would be grass and brush in the woods!

I was under the impression that they will stalk as close as they can before attacking.

Just my opinions, though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if the cat is looking at the camera.  It wasn't in this picture.

Cat's eyes are to the side not forward facing like humans.  I'm also talking about the reflection of the cat's Iris (colored part?), which illuminates at night, not "red eye".  If you've ever spotted deer at night, think of the glowing eyes you see, all the deer aren't looking directly at you.

Maybe they get mounted like that because it looks natural?  And it would look natural because... ?

Ah, yes.  Not only convenient, but downright suspicious that there would be grass and brush in the woods!

c'mon, you know what I'm talking about, all the feet of both animals, every single one of them is on the ground or behind a tree.

I was under the impression that they will stalk as close as they can before attacking.

Just my opinions, though.

I thought that big cats prefferred 3 steps minimum between them and their prey before they "pounce".  this is just from my recolection, and most likely based on an animal face off episode, so I have no credibility here.  Who knows....

Now, one more observation and comment.  These auto cameras are set up with motion detectors.  Shouldn't the picture be of the deer where the cat is positioned and at most the head of the cat?  And don't come back with a "second picture" theory, both of these animals ran off as soon as the flash went off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Bigfoots thinkin:

"I'm gonna do em both, then post pics!!"
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
thanks guys

That is not a panther, it is a cougar, puma, mountain lion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top