Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 5:12:52 PM EDT
Well, as I've mentioned before, I've got a pretty large collection of rare and hard to find vinyl.

For years I have been wanting to transfer a bunch of this rare music to CD.

I looked around, and found many different instructions on how to do it, and it all sounded kind of complicated.

Well, finally I went into a local Best Buy, and found an extremely helpfull associate who walked me through it.

Man it was SO much simpler than I thought.

Basicly, I used my Kenwood turntabble, plugged into my Kenwood receiver. I ran RCA jacks from that to a Creative brand Sound Blaster USB system, which basicly converted my ananoug signal to a digital signal, which ran into a USB port (I've got a crappy sound card ...).

That part cost me $40.

I then used Magix Music On CD And DVD softward for the recording process.

That software cost me $40.

The best part about the whole thing is how amazingly simple it all was.

Plug and play. No muss, no fuss. No having to call a crappy customer service line to try get it all to work together.

I was literally recording within an hour.

The other great thing about the Magix software is that it gives you a very simple and very easy to use mastering system so that you can take out hisses and pops. As well as adjusting the mid levels, bass, loudness, etc.
When it's done you can even name all the individual tracks so it shows up on your new hi tech CD player.

The only thing I suggest, is that if you have crappy speakers/soundcard like I do, that it will take a bit of trial and error to get the levels adjusted so it sounds good on your home or car CD player, as it doesn't sound quite the same (due to the way you are able to tweak the levels).

That being said, if you burn it as recorded, it sounds fine. It's only when you try to master it that it might sound different (and if you save the project as is, you can remaster it endlessly till you get it to sound the way you want it).

Anyway, I'm constantly amazed at what you can do nowadays with a home computer.

For $80 I can turn stuff that was only available on vinyl, into CD's I can play in my car.

Hope this long ass post is of some help for anyone who has thought of doing the same.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
How ironic.  I have a record that I'm trying very hard to find one single track off of.  Apparently I am the only idiot out there that wants this song.

It's Niblick Henbane's "Life Over the Edge".  I guess now I have to buy a turntable again....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
How's are the pops and clicks? Does the software edit those out without effort or notice?

It seems to me a pop or a click would take part of the music away or does it blend the two confirmed notes and interpolate them?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy, we discussed this earlier in the year in another thread about the Sonic Forge, where do you buy one of those things, and approximately how much do they run. I know that you have to do some fine tuning  in order take maximum advantage of its capabitilies. The pops, ticks, & clicks are the bane of all vinyl recordings.

Also inaudible turntable rumble from the less than perfect bearings. I have one of those Carver units that would suppress audible hiss on some vinyl recordings, they also a rumble filter, even on a -55db turntable, I can see my woofer respond to those inaudible low freqs, with the rumble filter engage, just a 18db high pass filter set at 20Hz, the woofer movement stops.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, you should burn me off a copy or two of that straw dogs. It's not the BEST music, but it's an old favorite and the tapes keep getting chewed up. If you do, I'll burn you a copy of the new Social D. and some Pink Lincolns and the Freeze. Freeze is SUPER hard to find and I think you'll like it. You should shoot me an email. I got some other stuff too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How ironic.  I have a record that I'm trying very hard to find one single track off of.  Apparently I am the only idiot out there that wants this song.

It's Niblick Henbane's "Life Over the Edge".  I guess now I have to buy a turntable again....

What album/7" is that off of?

I don't have that track on any of their stuff that I have, but I do have a copy of their "What's Your Deal?" 7" (on green marble vinyl), that includes their great cover of "Angel Of The Morning".

I got kicked out of Karaoke night for singing their version to the original tune one time.

Well, not sure if it was that, or my singing.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey, you should burn me off a copy or two of that straw dogs. It's not the BEST music, but it's an old favorite and the tapes keep getting chewed up. If you do, I'll burn you a copy of the new Social D. and some Pink Lincolns and the Freeze. Freeze is SUPER hard to find and I think you'll like it. You should shoot me an email. I got some other stuff too.

Hatebreed, I'll get that burned for you for sure. And hell ya, I'd like to hear that stuff. Is the new Social Distortion any good? I was kind of disapointed by their last one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What album/7" is that off of?

I don't have that track on any of their stuff that I have, but I do have a copy of their "What's Your Deal?" 7" (on green marble vinyl), that includes their great cover of "Angel Of The Morning".

I got kicked out of Karaoke night for singing their version to the original tune one time.

Well, not sure if it was that, or my singing.  

Just call me angel, in the morning baby.  Just suck my dick before you leave me....

"Life Over the Edge" is on the "Land of the Brave" 7".  It is one of my favorite songs of all time, right up there with "Simple Man" by Skynyrd.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Troy, have you read any reviews or have any opinions comparing Sony's noise reduction 2.0 to Diamond Cut's 6.0?   I have been looking at both.  The DC 6.0 is supposed to use the filtering from the DC LIVE/Forensics 6.0 which I have heard is the best product in it's niche.   I am leaning towards the DC 6.0 because the few comparisons I have found seem to favor it over Sony's NR 2.0.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top