Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2004 3:25:33 PM EDT
Going hunting on bosses ranch.  
I will be using a 60gr partition.  No shot should be longer than 150yds.

I can put the bullets in any designated 3" spot on the deer.

Can someone post a pic of ther BEST spot to hit a deer?

A drawing with an arrow would work.  I have read all the hunting topics and have had some decent descri[ptions, but a drawing with a "hit it hear" arrow SHOWING the best 2 or 3 spots would be helpful.

Thanks

TXL
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Draw a vertical line along the front leg.  Draw a horizontal line along the side of the deer.  Draw another vertical line about 4 ribs from the back of the rib cage.

Shoot there, for the lungs and heart.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are able to do it then I would highly recomend a neck or head shot.  Shot placement is the important factor when deer hunting.  A head or neck shot, in most(99%) cases, will result in a very quick kill and very little meat loss.  Try not to shoot for the backbone as you will destroy some of the best meat on a deer, the backstrap.  Heart or lung shots will do also but the deer may or may not run for a short distance after being hit so be prepared to look for a blood trail.  I shot a deer in the lungs last year with a 60gr soft point and the deer did not leave a blood trail until it had run about 25 yards.  The blood trail was not from the bullet hole but from the deer coughing up blood.  The .223 is able to do the job as long as the shooter does his/her part with proper shot placement.  Good luck and shoot a big one!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What you gotta do is slow your bullet down to 55 mph and put a set of headlights on it. The deer will jump right in front of it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Draw a vertical line along the front leg.  Draw a horizontal line along the side of the deer.  Draw another vertical line about 4 ribs from the back of the rib cage.

Shoot there, for the lungs and heart.

That would be great, if it had pics.

But thanks

TXL
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
hit it in the pooper...post pics.

www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/hunting/article/0,13199,447312,00.html

Not looking to take any "Texas heart shots"

TXL
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]
base of the neck , at the middle part of the chest where the neck joins..

DRT

or center punch it at the rear crease of the leg midway up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
here

Thanks cyanide, that does help alot.

But I notice when I take the neck shot ( as posted above), it whines that I may not kill it.

It also says no head shots.

But that is what I needed, again, thanks.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
anytime
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bonkin 'em in the noggin is tough. They (like everything) move their heads, usually as you're about to shoot.

If you're stand hunting (doesn't sounds like you are) you sometimes have to take into account that you are shooting down towards the deer

Not sure this helps

shop.3dshoots.com/images/rinehart_anatomy_deer_big.jpg

We will be hunting from stands, set up around feeders.  (This is Texas hunting)

My boss will not let us take more than 20 or 30 does.  (He has to cull 110 this year)

I will take one from the stand, and hopefully, one from longer distance.  (I have a REALLY accurate rifle, and great dope for any range)

TXL
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.rinehart3-d.com/images/lineart/large/Big%2010%20Deer%20Side.gif

Thanks, but do deer really eat golf balls?

That is a great pic, I assume you aim for the circled area.

This, and cyanides are exactly what I needed.

No need wounding the thing.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Ask John Kerry.

CW
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
heart/lung

There's your answer.  Only thing to remember, TL is that you will be aiming for that area REGARDLESS OF THE DEER"S ORIENTATION.  IOW, if the deer is quartering away from you, you are going to have to back up on the impact point on the animal's body.  If the animal is quartering to you, move your impact point forward on their body.

Clear as mud?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Have you hunted before.....other things not deer?  If not, just remember that you will get a slight adrenaline rush when you bear down on the game.  It may make you a little "shaky"....or modify your breathing a little so you might not be "right on" where you aim.

If you have had things in your sights before to kill them, then disregard this message.....

I did shoot a man in reno just to watch him die!

No, I ain't worried about any adrenalin shakes.  I had my first deer in my sights in alabama, and the loaned 30-06 had a dirty action, with a fucking twig stuck in it, so the round did not fire.  
Not a shake.

Ain't skeered.

TXL

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
heart/lung

There's your answer.  Only thing to remember, TL is that you will be aiming for that area REGARDLESS OF THE DEER"S ORIENTATION.  IOW, if the deer is quartering away from you, you are going to have to back up on the impact point on the animal's body.  If the animal is quartering to you, move your impact point forward on their body.

Clear as mud?

actually, after seeing a few pics from a later poster, yes it is, thanks.  Would not have thought aboout that.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Although you may have the ability to hit a deer at long distances with your .223, the .223 is not really a long distance deer killer. It will do fine at 200 yards and under but starts to lose power farther out.

Another suggestion is to watch very carefully after the deer is hit to see exactly were it goes. Several that I have shot with the .223 left no blood trail at all but were found only a short distance into the brush stone dead.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
here

But I notice when I take the neck shot ( as posted above), it whines that I may not kill it.

TXL

That's an example of the shot I wouldn't take, especially with a 223. Why shoot through all that bone, and waste a bunch of meat, when you can drop it on the spot with a neck shot? On that example, the third vert, down is where I'd aim.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#24]
If you have something bigger than .223 use it. As far as a neck shot is concerned, avoid it at all cost. I have seen to many deer lost to a neck shot. In 2001 I shot an 8 point buck on opening day. My shot was right in the vitals(heart,Lung), but I noticed another wound in it's neck that looked like it was about 2 days old. I did some investigating and found out that someone couldn't wait for opening day and tried to take it with a .300 WM two nights prior. If your looking for a trophy, don't shoot it in the head. I think that goes without saying.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's one that was hit with a 160gr Partition (.284).  It was quartered toward me and that is an ENTRANCE hole.  No exit.

Graphic link:

Partition
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What you gotta do is slow your bullet down to 55 mph and put a set of headlights on it. The deer will jump right in front of it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Here's one that was hit with a 160gr Partition (.284).  It was quartered toward me and that is an ENTRANCE hole.  No exit.

The results one will see from a .223 Partition and the results from this 7mm Mag Partition will be quite different.

The entrance wound from the .223 will be very inconspicuous, the deer will probably run for a ways after being shot, and will probably not leave any blood trail. So it is very important to watch carefully after the shot to be certain of exactly where the deer ran.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#28]
up the front leg halfway into the body, and three inches back.  Heart/lung shots are probably your best bet.  Squeeze the shot, and anticipate it running no more than 30-40 yards, often they won't drop where they are shot.  On occasion, (once in maybe 15 deer) the deer will run close to 100 yards before dropping as was the case with heart shot deer my dad  had taken.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Although you may have the ability to hit a deer at long distances with your .223, the .223 is not really a long distance deer killer. It will do fine at 200 yards and under but starts to lose power farther out.

Another suggestion is to watch very carefully after the deer is hit to see exactly were it goes. Several that I have shot with the .223 left no blood trail at all but were found only a short distance into the brush stone dead.

Anything more that 150-200 yds will meet Mr ar10Tc
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:41:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The results one will see from a .223 Partition and the results from this 7mm Mag Partition will be quite different.

The entrance wound from the .223 will be very inconspicuous, the deer will probably run for a ways after being shot, and will probably not leave any blood trail. So it is very important to watch carefully after the shot to be certain of exactly where the deer ran.

I disagree.  I've seen inconsistent results from partitions in various calibers.  In most cases where any speed is involved, the front half of the bullet separates and the back part of the core is the only piece that has good penetration.  I'd be very wary of using them in a .223 for deer and a shot on bone could cause problems.  A good bonded bullet woudl be a better choice on deer.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Lungs/heart. Big broadside target, lethal area, little meat lost, and easy to track should he bolt after the hit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#32]
If your hunting feeders out to about 125 yards, I would say dink them in the head.  But not just anyplace in the head.  Your going to want to hit in the back of the head in the base of the ear area.  Draw a line up the lip line through the back of the head to the ear area.  The best shot is with the head on the ground feeding which will put the shot behind the ear at the point where the neck hits the head.  

Do not shoot for the neck anywhere but at the base of the skull.  That little bullet will whistle through that neck and if you don't hit an artery or back bone he will run off and live to talk about it.  

IF you must take a deer looking straight at you, if he has alerted to you and is in a staredown with your position, make sure and aim between the eyes and a bit below them say a 1/2 inch.  If you hit low in the nose area, you may skip off and wound the deer and not kill it or blow the deers jaw off which will lead to a terrible death.  If the head is on the ground feeding looking straight at you, aim between the ears at the base of the neck , if the head rises,you still take out the brain.

You can pattern head movement, by studying the target does, they do get a rhythm. Since you are harvesting does the head is the best bet.  If you are out appoaching 200 yards the lungs, heart is a good idea.  Look for the point of the elbow, the white of the belly will be close and below.  GO up a touch and back a touch on a broadside shot.  Remember forward you tear up the shoulder meat and back you risk a gut shot.  To high you hit the void above the lungs.  A little higher you break the spine. Low you get the heart.  Dont shoot too  steep off angle shots for the lung that little fast moving bullet can make a mess and cause huge tissue damage.  Be careful on steep downward shots and consider the kill area closely, you really need to bust those lungs if you dont get the heart.  Also consider the off shoulder if you hit dead broad side you can miss both shoulders.  Keep in mind that there is quiet a bit of distance behind that elbow point that is still in the ribcage but I like to keep away from those guts that reside behind the diaphram.

When you head shoot them they are going to kick their feet as they lay on the ground.  That is fine they are dead.  IF THAT HEAD RISES OFF THE GROUND , HIT THAT SOB AGAIN!!!!  you may find the job was already done but wtf is another hole in the head.

This is the result of 33 years of killing 2  to 4 a year for what it is worth.

Edit to say you need to be able to hit a fifty cent piece or at least a silver dollar at 100 hundred yards to make this work most efficiently, by the way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Put away that rifle.

Get yourself a trusty double barrel shotgun and crawl around on your belly, playing around with the wind and generally outsmarting the deer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I've read that that's how John Kerry does it!  On his belly.  That snake does everything on his belly!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Anyone hunt deer with buckshot (i.e. a shotgun)?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Slugs only allowed in IN.  When I hunt MI, it's rifle time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Edit to say you need to be able to hit a fifty cent piece or at least a silver dollar at 100 hundred yards to make this work most efficiently, by the way.

No problem at all doing that.

And thanks for the other advice.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

John Kerry
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#40]
can't believe people are suggesting head shots
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem at all doing that.

And thanks for the other advice.

TXL

30 round mag right?

Just keep pulling the trigger.  Get the whole herd.

TRG

Unless someone wants to loan me a beta-c

TXL
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
here

TXL

Heart, lung, liver is the best shot for a quick clean kill.  Head and neck shots kill but give a much smaller target and it is easier to miss or wound.  Are you using an AR?  60 grain bullets can kill but are definately on the light side for even a small deer.  It will work it is just not my first, second or even third choice.

You don't need a cannon, but a .243 with 80-100 grain bullets would be my starting point.

.257 100-120 grain
.270 130-150 grain
.308 150-180 grain
etc.........
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You don't need a cannon, but a .243 with 80-100 grain bullets would be my starting point.

.257 100-120 grain
.270 130-150 grain
.308 150-180 grain
etc.........

7mm 140-160 grain
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If you have something bigger than .223 use it. As far as a neck shot is concerned, avoid it at all cost. I have seen to many deer lost to a neck shot. In 2001 I shot an 8 point buck on opening day. My shot was right in the vitals(heart,Lung), but I noticed another wound in it's neck that looked like it was about 2 days old. I did some investigating and found out that someone couldn't wait for opening day and tried to take it with a .300 WM two nights prior. If your looking for a trophy, don't shoot it in the head. I think that goes without saying.

How did you ascertain that it was a 300 WM?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Can you educate me as to why do Southerners so love buckshot?

Why would anyone use that junk when either rifled or saboted slugs or rifle bullets are a much better choice?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you educate me as to why do Southerners so love buckshot?

Why would anyone use that junk when either rifled or saboted slugs or rifle bullets are a much better choice?

I don't know anyone who has EVER used buckshot. Of course you may not consider Kentucky in the south.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Though a .223 will do the trick-especially with a well placed shot-I recommend a .270 or one of the 30 caliber rifles.

As mentioned, the .223 may not or will not leave a blood trail to follow. The .270 and the 30s will, 99% of the time. And nothin feels worse-from what I understand-than hitting a deer and NOT getting it. I've helped people try to track game that they hit and it isn't always easy.

I use a .270 and have always had a blood trail from the deer I shot, even though they didn't go far anyway.

Beside, this is a GOLDEN opportunity to add another rifle to "the arsenal".
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

It is very popular here in Eastern NC.  

If you use a rifle, you must be in a stand at least 6 feet off the ground.

The boys here let loose a pack of hounds, and wait for the deer to be chased out across logging roads/trails. Then they blast the shit out of em with OO buck.  Very poor performance, lots of wounded deer get away, due to shots being taken too far away.

Not my idea of fun, but very traditional here.  Mainly because the cover is so freakin thick.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.257 100-120 grain
.270 130-150 grain
.308 150-180 grain
etc.........

7mm 140-160 grain

I agree with the 7mm, I can't believe I forgot that because I just got my first 7mm a month ago.
It is a Ruger M77 stainless, synthetic 7mm WSM.
I have not fired it or even mounted a scope on it yet. (maybe that's why I forgot it)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top