Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 6:26:37 AM EDT
I've been intending to get a new machine (Desktop) for a while now, and have asked the board about various brands before.  The consensus seemed to be that Dell is best for a brand purchase, and Ibuypower was decent for a professional shop build.

My current home machine is a PIII 450 HP running the 1st edition of Win 98 and having onboard graphics only.  In other words, its not really cutting the mustard, and has been acting strange lately possibly indicating an inbound failure.  Upgrading is probably silly so replacement is the solution.  I have NO interest in putting one together myself.  I am simply not that motivated.

I'll probably wait until the Christmas season, to see what type of offers come out.

My wants are:

-Excellent gaming capacity, although I won't be spending hours nighly on them
-Longevity (I have little tolerance for failure)
-I'll probably get XP Pro

As you can see, my wants are not difficult to satisfy, BUT, I am not that price sensitive, so I'm willing to pay for more capability than I expect to use.

NOTE: Have actually upgraded my monitor to a ViewSonic 19 inch CRT.  If a monitor delete on a package deal only saves $100 or so, I'll still get the monitor.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:30:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Build one.  If you can work a screw driver you can build a kick ass system and save a few hundred.  I built a full athlon 64 2800 system this week for 650.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Build one.  If you can work a screw driver you can build a kick ass system and save a few hundred.  I built a full athlon 64 2800 system this week for 650.  

I know 'athalon' is an AMD processor, but that's about all I know.   This should tell you something about my interest level in hardware.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The problem is that you want a system for gaming.  Most of the dell systems or any other OEM manufacturer for the most part are built around productivity needs.  They all pretty much ship inferior parts and have poor assembly.  If you want to buy a gaming system and want quality parts then you need to look at manufacturers like Falcon NW or maybe Alienware.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Dell supports the Republican Party and GWB's Re-election.  Michael Dell himself sent $25,000 to the RNC and the maximum $2,000 to GWB.

Support those who support you!  

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The problem is that you want a system for gaming.  Most of the dell systems or any other OEM manufacturer for the most part are built around productivity needs.  They all pretty much ship inferior parts and have poor assembly.  If you want to buy a gaming system and want quality parts then you need to look at manufacturers like Falcon NW or maybe Alienware.  

Good info...  Actually productivity is my main push, but even my 450 can manage that.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#6]

...My wants are:

-Excellent gaming capacity....
-Longevity (I have little tolerance for failure)....

If you're serious about this, build your own.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:58:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1. If you want a good gaming system, I would suggest you build it, or buy something like an Alienware or OCSystems. Hell, alot of the geeks on this board would probably build one for you if you asked, just like guys will put together your AR for you. The issue is always support.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
a monkey can built there own and u will save few hundred bucks
and have a better system then u can buy
if u have no interest in that atall go here
CYBERPOWER
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Build a new system

You'll save about $500 and get a kick-ass system

If you are not comfortable building a system, just Google building a computer and you'll see how easy it really is

Remember :

Buy a power supply large enough to power todays electronics, 450W min

Install software in this order :

Win XP

Mobo drivers

soundcard drivers

video card drivers

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#12]
ibuypower!!!

I've been using one for 3 years, and have sence recommended them toeveryone I know.  Great value for the price.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you find uglier cases to put your computers in though.  

If you want a cool case get someone to customize one for you.  Check this  There are a couple of guys here that would give you a hint or two.

Otherwise, stick with something basic and classic.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top