Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 4:41:35 AM EDT
My automatic updates wants to install the XP service pack II stuff, have they worked the bugs out by now, jus wondering. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered the CD from Microsoft, it is free, and have decided to wait before I install SP2.  Just my idea.  When I am ready, have enough info, then I will install.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
It works fine but run a backup first just in case.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#3]
just updated yesterday using update. First time around it hung during install and i thought hosed me.
ran it again after restoring to an earlier point and seems to be ok-just ain't playing nice with my browser(opera), reboots out of nowhere when surfing. did a reinstall of opera so we'll see.

seems to me i paid about 15bucks for sp1 from ms-this is shipping free??willl have to order a copy then.

dano
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have heard about issues with SP2 and NAV. I have updated 2 of my computers with it with no problems, but I use AVG instead of NAV.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have heard about issues with SP2 and NAV. I have updated 2 of my computers with it with no problems, but I use AVG instead of NAV.

I've got it running on two of mine. I run NAV and haven't had any issues with it (so far).
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I installed it yesterday and haven't noticed any problems yet (I run NAV).  It's a 100 MB download, so let it run overnight if you decide to do it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Resistance is Futile.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:29:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
SP2 just can’t determine if NAV has the most current updates.  Symantec stated that it due to their secure code or some such stuff, and the definitions dated can't be read by SP2.  Just set SP2 so that it does NOT monitor your anti-virus program.  I have always checked my dates myself so no real problem.

So far, so good for me.  I’m running SP2 at both work places and home.
Art in KY

I am running an older version of NAV on my older computer, and SP2 doesn't "interface" with it, but it does recognize the newer version on my laptop, which I just bought this year...and I've had no problems with SP2 otherwise...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
If you've been using your current win install for a while, make sure you dont have any spyware on it because it can cause you to have a bad sp2 install.  
Download Ad-aware SE and spy-sweeper from download.com and scan your computer before you install it.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Before installing SP2 run adaware or spybot ( more preferably both, as some spyware could pose possible install problems).

Then go into Windows Update and refuse the SP2 install and "review other updates"

Install all the available updates.

Once you have all "other" updates installed and have restarted, now go and download and install SP2.  Should go fine.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#15]
The company I work for advises against installing it right now.  Could just be issues with our software.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had it for a week and no so far so good.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I slipstreamed sp2 and did a fresh install... I guess I suspected that at 250MB or so, we were talking nearly a whole new OS instead of some "fixes"

I have not had a problem with it at all (over a month now) and will say that I see a noticable improvement in the performance of some applications and the system seems more stable...

...but then, it is not FreeBSD
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Download the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers.  It's the complete SP2 package.

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Download the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers.  It's the complete SP2 package.

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

SP2
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP today. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows XP SP2 for download, please send e-mail to: [email protected] or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I haven't updated to SP2 yet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#21]
This way you get the complete SP2 package and it's one file that you can save and use again and you don't have to fuck with the windows update constant restarts or wait for the CD.

This is the same download that was offered two weeks before XP went public.
I have it on both of my computers and it works with no problems.

Of course if you like fucking with windows update then be my guest.

Why didn't you just copy the entire fucking web page, you are almost halfway there.
Jackass.

Quoted:

Quoted:

SP2
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP today. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows XP SP2 for download, please send e-mail to: [email protected] or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#22]
NO
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I just reinstalled XP due to a drive failure.  (Fortunately I had backups.)

I installed SP2 immediately, and all other updates.

It's important to keep your Windows updated because it's full of exploitable bugs and security holes
and the updates patch them over as they're found and exploited.     You're a lot more secure if you've got all the updates!

They generally improve reliability, too.

CJ

Exact same situation, except I did not have my HDD backed up.  Now I have a mirrored RAID and I can sleep better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top