Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 2:53:36 AM EDT
Article

BOUDLER COUNTY - A target shooter blamed for starting a 35-acre wildfire in Boulder County will have to pay the costs of fighting it.

The U.S. Forest Service says the man called 911 after the fire broke out in Lefthand Canyon and admitted starting it. Investigators say he was using an explosive target known as "tannerite" that's banned on national forest land.

The man -- who isn't being identified -- will have to pay up to $60,000 in firefighting costs. He could also face criminal charges. The fire started on Sept. 17 and was fully contained a day later.

I thought Tannerite was OK for national forest....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is banned from forests, the law isn't woth a shit. Since he admitted to using tannerite, he is going to have to foot the bill. He sounds like a dumb ass. If this story is true, it might even help get it banned.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it is banned from forests, the law isn't woth a shit. Since he admitted to using tannerite, he is going to have to foot the bill. He sounds like a dumb ass. If this story is true, it might even help get it banned.

I shoot in the same place, and  really don't understand how the tannerite could have started a fire there.  Besides, I thought it didn't start fires.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Last time I went to a national forest range, a forest worker gave me tannerite to sit by the pumpkin I was shooting..heh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top