Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 7:03:22 PM EDT
I am going down there on a trip in a couple of months.

What can you tell me about:

Security  
Places to definitely see
Places to avoid

And any other helpful stuff like what shots I should get and should I take anti-malaria stuff with me.

What do you think about a tactical folder in a IWB carry.  I was going to rely on that for my defensive carry.  Ah, if I could only take my Sporter Lightweight.  (For some hunting) But enough dreamin.  I am also thinking about a folder in a waist sheath so there is no doubt that my knife is not concealed.  

Do you think its better to show and let em know, or hide it and only take it out if you need it.

Really anything you know about CR would be great.  I got a bunch of stuff off the web but I would like to hear from someone that has been on the ground there and has a, more, shall we say defensive mind set than your average granola traveler.  I have gotten a lot of "Its never happened to me so it can't happen" mind set off of some other travel sights.

On one sight a guy told me that you were better off in a survival situation without a weapon.

Another guy told me that he hoped I stayed out of Canada because I carry a knife.  But he was an authority on knives because he went to reform school and had been in a Canadian prison.  WTF

Lots of questions, I know.

Anyway thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You should have posted 2 weeks ago before a friend who was born and raised there left for a two month vacation.
When I travel I first inquire at the countries
embassy in W.D.C.. These people are very helpful.When you apply for a VISA they tell you
what shots you will need.

Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Area:19,575 sq miles
Capital: San Jose'
population:2,269,000
ethnic make-up:97% mixed and white
Main Religion:Catholic
government type:republic
Education:97% literate
Flag colors:red,white and blue
Independance won in 1821
National hymn: "Himno Nacional"
Monetary unit:colon
sports:hunting,soccer,swimming,baseball
manufacturing:textiles,leather,foodstuffs,furniture

That is all I know of Costa Rica.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only been to CR for 3 weeks, so I don't know much about it.

Frankly, the country's beauty did not impress me as much as Southern Oregon or Idaho, but it's a very nice place, and has (supposedly) some of the highest biodiversity in the world down towards the Panamanian border.

1) Decide what you like to do-- hiking, hanging out, whatever.  What are you interested in?

2) It feels very safe, although theft is supposedly a problem.  I have no problems bringing my Kukri knife (semi-useless) and a couple of other small knives.  Never once did I feel that I was in any sort of danger, apart from the time when I got slammed into a rock outcrop while trying to dodge waves at high tide.  If you are halfway cautious, you will be fine.  

3)  I didn't use any anti-malarial drugs, but you might want to.  I think there is also American Trypanosomiasis (Chagas Disease) which is very unpleasant.

4) My girlfriend and I went to the Corcovado National Park to backpack.  It is very cool if you like that sort of thing;  we hiked about 10 miles on the sand (ugh) to the Sirena field station.  At Sirena we met some cool Costa Rican electricians and some very annoying Germans.  

My girlfriend did not believe me when I told her that I saw a seven foot caiman/croc and insisted on fording a river.  We saw a troop of white collard peccaries, and this was very cool.   We also found tapir and jaguar tracks, but never ran across the critters on the hoof.  

5) you will be going to CR around the rainy season.  You will be wet.  

6) CR had very little that I found unremarkable.  I am not a big fan of pervasive damp. Very nice people, nice land, but I couldn't get used to having a bunch of frigging mud under the forest canopy.  I don't give a shit about strangler figs.  I don't like monkeys, the little bastards.

7) I do hear that the fishing (marlin and sailfish) is out of this world, so if you have the cash, do this.

8) Get a Lonely Planet guide for the country

have fun

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi, I know a guy who lives down there Cannot give you his contact info ( I do not have it memorized). He posts a lot on the Gold Prospecting forum at www.tomashworth.com His screen name is KenCR I think. He is always very helpful there regarding questions on the CR area.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
CR year in and year out get's the highest rating for "Tourist Friendly" in all of the Americas.

I am dying to go there, will go, soon.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
A big thanks to everyone.  The information was great.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The women are hot. . . dark and exotic.  They call themselves "Tikas" (pronounced "teeka") which is just a nick name in latin america for someone from Costa Rica (men are called "Tikos).

Anyway, prostitution is legal (just like in most of the world except the United States) and it is not taboo or anything like it is here.

They are also checked on a weekly basis by the gov't for "healthiness", but I don't know how much protection that really gives one.
Be sure and indulge in Costa Rica's hidden treasures - just be sure to use protection and avoid anything oral.

Most of them won't let you do anything without protection anyway 'cause they're all paranoid about getting AIDS from the Gringos.

Go to the bordellos and strip joints and avoid the streetwalkers.

Oh yea,  Costa Rica is the safest of the Central American countries, which isn't saying much.  THIRD WORLD countries are inherently dangerous.  THere are many, many more ways to die there than in the USA.  This, despite what it might seem sometimes, is a very safe country.

Get one of Lenny McGills secret polymer CIA knives.  Basically a plastic knife that is undetectable by metal detectors.

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't even think it was that much of a third world country.  Sure it's poor compared to most of the US, but I felt a hell of a lot safer there than I did growing up in Morningside Heights, NY. At least there weren't any vials of crack scattered on the sidewalks.  And I have seen a lot of shitty places in the US that out evil Costa Rica.  

Like I said earlier, the country bored the hell out of me.  But then, I am a lickspittle pussy who does not go to red light districts, wander around deserted towns at night or get drunk and leave myself at the mercy of the locals.  Try that anywhere, and you are checking prudence at the door.

Why on earth would you carry a plastic knife?!
Ha ha ha, that is the silliest thing I've heard in 25 minutes.

I carried a mean looking Kershaw folder all over the place, and the 'tican security personnel at the airport didn't bat an eye when I carried it through the metal detectors, x-ray machines.  I packed a seventeen inch kukri knife in my pack, and considering that you can buy cheap machetes by the bushel at the local hardware store, who would care?  Just don't cut the shit out of yourself please.  

forget the suction cup boots.  Forget the numchucks.  Forget the "Cat super Stealth teflon knives."  Bring a pocket knife, and don't make a jackass out of yourself.  

Jesus, they seemed like friendly enough people to me.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Costa Rica is home to John Hull, the wealth rancher that was helping finance and supply the Contras. He was possibly involved in the cocaine shipments that were going to Mena, Arkansas.

Costa Rica also has the biggest market in all of Central and South America in the trafficking of cars stolen from the U.S.

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Ustulina,
You crack me up.  :) I had come to that same conclusion as you stated but you said it much more eloquently.  

I am going to carry a pocket knife and not make a jackass out of myself.

Oh yeah, I not going to get drunk or buy any strange.  I just hope I'm not bored.  Of course I like to surf and I want to do some fishing.  And I am going to check out their active volcano.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]
E-spark,

I think you're gonna have a fine time in CR as you're going in with a good attitude.  Be safe, have fun.  Hope you catch the biggest Marlin ever and that the surf rocks.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:34:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#20]
CR has a growing libertarian expatriate community.  A friend of mine is going there soon, he wants to see if it is a good place to live on a more permanent basis.  You can probably live there a lot more cheaply (not to mention freely) than you can in the states.
If safety is a problem, you can afford to hire your own bodyguards, complete with Uzis and M-16s.  

Didn't two young college girls get murdered in CR a couple of years ago?  They were brutally raped and shot and their vehicle was set on fire.  Maybe that was a different country in Central America, I can't remember.  I can't keep them separate--Guatemala, Honduras, etc.
All I think of are jungle guerillas trying to install a new Marxist regime.  I guess I read SOF too much in the '80s.  :-)

Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, two gals were murdered and their SUV stolen about this time last year in Costa Rica, and they were American.  But the general consensus was that this was very remarkable because it doesn't happen much.  

FWIW, I think American women may not have the greatest reputation as pillars of virtue there.

As for bodyguards, I dunno.  Never saw any firearms of any sort, and the Costa Ricans haven't had an army for about 60 years I think.  

There is a gun shop in San Jose, but I didn't go in.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As for bodyguards, I dunno.  Never saw any firearms of any sort, and the Costa Ricans haven't had an army for about 60 years I think.
View Quote

On my first trip there for a dirt bike ride/trail tour, we spent a night or two at a Best Western (I think) in San Jose, and the parking lot guards carried riot-type shotguns.

Still, CR does seem to be pretty safe. I'm planning on going down for my third trip at the end of summer.

BTW, if you ride dirt bikes, it's got awesome trails, pretty fun and technical stuff that can get super-greasy since it's hard-packed clay. Check out www.motoadventuring.com. (They can tailor the trails taken to your ability.) They're also thinking of starting street-bike tours. Have fun; it's a cool country. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Mot0--

yeah I am full of it, because I just remembered that I saw a police type 870 shotgun in the hands of a bank guard at Puerto Jimenez.  But I didn't see much in the way of police.  

In saying the country is boring, I am not doing it justice, because the people really are pretty reasonable, and they have a very interesting "frontier" mentality.

I hear that some seedy stuff goes on near the Panamanian border, but we didn't run into anything in our brief time there.  Actually I am thinking that CR could be a hell of a lot of fun in the right company. Probably go back sometime.

Link Posted: 6/11/2001 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#24]
If you like to fish, I remember seeing an article about a fish called a Peacock Bass that they have there.  It's a mean, colorful looking bass with some mean looking teeth.  I would definately be checking that action out!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Lived there and went to school for 8 years. Nice place. Use common sense. Do not wera excessive jewlery or have wads of green with you.

Do stay away from the mercado central and the red zone.

Do not get in a cab that has already picked up passengers.

Try and learn some Spanish.

Confusing thing about CR is that the addresses are always given using ( pulprerias ) convenience stores or Bars names as reference points.

The name of the Gunshop is the Armeria Polini ( sp?  Lots of shotguns. When it comes to guns in CR it all depends on who you know, and how well connected to the GOV. they are.

Oh BTW they do not have an army but the rural guard and the metro police have quick reaction forces and they have UZIS and M-16s.

Guns were very much available in the early 80s but that is old news.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#26]
[:D] For some real adventure, try NICARAGUA!

Lots of remnants of the old communist regime to see. Just don't venture into certain neighborhoods where you see many red & black flags (Sandinista clingers). You will not be comfy with the 'glaring' directed towards you.

There is even more natural
beauty to see here than in C.R., just that you're more on your own in Nicaragua. OTOH, people here are far friendlier and genuine [in general] than 'Ticos. Ticos have a bad rep with Nicaraguans and I saw for myself why.

As for guns, I saw bank guards with beat up M16A1s and shotguns. Neighborhood
and ranch guards with AKMs. A very necessary thing in most of the Americas now.
Funny how a peaceful people there can deal with so many FA weapons around so well (compared to US). They're almost oblivious to it and carry on w/o a worry.
Openly-carried weapons in private hands
really do keep the peace.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks again for the information.

I have another question.  Specifically for Ariel but anybody else can pipe in.

What's the deal with all the catcalling of women, and are the guys down there going to do it if I am with my girlfriend.  My GF is down there now and she says that she gets hooted at a lot.  The locals have told her that this is just how CR guys are and that it won't go any further than talk.  It rattles her because she is being situationally aware and on the lookout for danger signs.  But since every guy seems to be agressive in that manner, she is a little lost on how to catergorize different threats.  

I would like to know how its going to be with me walking around with her down there.  Do you think this is going to even be a problem?

I can ignore to cat-calls and hoots, but I don't want to give off the impression that her and I are an easy target.  If it were construction workers in New York, I could gauge what they were like.  But with Costa Ricans speaking spanish that I barely understand I am lost as to who is just playing around and who is trying to seriously screw with me or her.

I hope that makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top