Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 7:04:58 PM EDT
I have a few guns I need to sell to make room in the gun safes. I was thinking about taking them with me to the gun show tomm.

I wouldn't take a check and I doubt few are carrying that much cash.

Anybody done this before?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
sold one a few years back,,for cash....  private sale,,blah blah blah,,,  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. Either they have cash or they didn't plan on buying anything anyway. Most people take cash to shows. I take a grand or so even if I am not looking for something in particular.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually carry about 1k in cash with me if I am seriously looking to buy something.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I've sold at a gun show, but only to an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Well thats good news, think I will do it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]
When I sell a gun at a show I just make sure they are residents, and yes a lot of people have shitloads of cash on them
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually sold two that way. Neither was very expensive. But yeah people carry between $500-1000 regularly or just tell them to go to the ATM.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
well i bought a ruger10/22 at a gun show one time not even 20 minutes after buying it ten damn dealers asked me how much i wanted for it like it was the newest uber tactical assault  laser wtf its just a ruger 10/22 got it for 100 and people are wanting to know wha i want for it damn didnt think it was thatn popular. oh by the way sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't worry about buyers having enough cash, and of course take nothing but cash in payment,
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I've sold a few guns at the shows. I went to one today w/a friend of mine and he sold one. People will carry what cash they can to buy what they can. Cash is still king at these type of functions. If you know anybody there or have a friend w/a table, ask if you can display your guns there. I've sold several like this and next weekend I will be asking a friend of mine to let me use part of his table. Beware though about trades. If you know what to look for , it's ok. However I've seen people make some really bad trades becuase they didn't know better. I know you said that you were wanting to clean out the gun safe some , but you may wander into a trade that you never expected. Hope this helps. Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never sold but if I'm buying I carry what ever cash I think I'll need. Had a grand on me when I bought my AR. In co you have to have a background check run on the buyer. They have a place set up and charge twenty bucks at the bigger shows I've been at. So I say takem down its worth a try.
See ya!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#12]
does anyone else ask for ID to make sure about residencey?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I sold a few old Winchester .22's at a gunshow to a FFL..he paid with cash
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

People go to the show with the intent to buy. Quite a few people have the cash on hand or carry enough that the ATM outside can make up the difference. Take it and see how it goes. Did you list them here on the EE?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#15]
There are people who just to look for private sales, and ask almost everyone they see carrying a gun. I've bought guns at gun shows, and been stopped a few times on my way to the door as I was leaving. "You sellin' that"?  "How much you want for that"? "Whatcha got there? How much you askin' for it"?  

If you take it, they will come.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have sold several at gun shows.

I always ask for ID, to be sure that they are of legal age and a resident of the state where I am selling the gun, or they have an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Take it to the show, put a sign on it and you will become very popular i hope.

I sold my mini 14 this way, i got all kinds of crazy offers. from 200 dollars to a guy wanting to trade a wore out S&W handgun. I finally sold it for cash,not as much as i wanted but close enough.

I actually have regretted selling it though,there was nothing wrong with it. I just never wanted to shoot it again after shooting my ARs

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh yeah, maybe you should drop a little hint on here. Whatcha got? Any cheap little pocket pistol in the "for sale" bin?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Don't even think of going to the Nashville show tomorrow at the fairgrounds.  Waste of 6 bucks.  There is a better one in Smyrna next weekend.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, maybe you should drop a little hint on here. Whatcha got? Any cheap little pocket pistol in the "for sale" bin?

yeah, try and sell some of the gun here on the EE
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I usually sell to FFL's.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Colt.38 and an Hk usc
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#23]
No, but I once saw a Marine selling guns at an airshow.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have a few guns I need to sell to make room in the gun safes. I was thinking about taking them with me to the gun show tomm.

Anybody done this before?

am i correct in assuming you're in memphis?
if so, what have you got and how much are you asking?  i might be interested.
i'm planning on going back tommorow anyway.

Colt.38 and an Hk usc?  sorry, not exactly my cup of tea.

ole dopey me, didn't catch that you were in the nashville area till i read your other post.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I did actually try to sell my AR-10A2 at a gunshow in Orlando.  Some nibbles from decent folk, including some gang bangers:  "Yo man, you kill people with that machine gun.  That's so big man.  Let me hold it."

It didn't sell.  Some gun shows actually get really pissed if you try to sell.  Some don't really care either way.

ETA:  Prepare an invoice for each weapon and include a block that states "I am not a conviced felon".
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Just be prepared to be insulted by most of the dealers and folks set up with tables. If you have bluebooked the guns and have a good idea what you need for them don't expect many nibbles from them. I've had better luck just selling them to individuals walking around.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Just be prepared to be insulted by most of the dealers and folks set up with tables. If you have bluebooked the guns and have a good idea what you need for them don't expect many nibbles from them. I've had better luck just selling them to individuals walking around.

Agreed, I've sold 2 guns at shows just walking around and getting inquries from other buyers.

If you're price is reasonable, you will find a buyer.

The guy I sold my Bushmaster to was a cop and didn't bring it up until he said "mind if I call in the serial number in see if it's clean?"

Kinda bizarre, but it was ok with me. I'm as pure as the wind driven snow, LOL.

Scott

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Done it plenty of times, and yes there are people carrying that much cash.
Most of the 'dealers' there, are just shittin around when they say "Whatcha asking for it"...and gesturing to look at it.  Only one dealer has ever bought a gun from me and it was a HK USC.  I wish I'd never gotten rid of it...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Done it plenty of times, and yes there are people carrying that much cash.
Most of the 'dealers' there, are just shittin around when they say "Whatcha asking for it"...and gesturing to look at it.  Only one dealer has ever bought a gun from me and it was a HK USC.  I wish I'd never gotten rid of it...

Maybe I will have that much luck,mine is an hk usc
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I noticed that in your previous post.....
wish I had the cash....I could act like a dealer
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I like following around the gangbangers around and listening to them.  They will go to a table with someone selling Hi-Points and they are like, " Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo, look at that Glock 9 milli-liter!", "Hey mister, will that gun kill somebody?"  They are so freakin hilarious!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I like following around the gangbangers around and listening to them.  They will go to a table with someone selling Hi-Points and they are like, " Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo, look at that Glock 9 milli-liter!", "Hey mister, will that gun kill somebody?"  They are so freakin hilarious!

seen it a million times
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top