Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 4:35:18 PM EDT
I am stuck between getting 2 puppies.  One is a 8 week old brindle boxer(male) and the other is a 4 month old Chocolate Lab(female)   I need input on how these dogs are as far as training and house breaking.  You guys have the answers for everything so I figured I would give this on a shot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the lab, I really dont think you can go wrong.

I really just dont like boxers all that much. Seems like labs are more into serving their master. and have a mild tempermant.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 Get the Lab.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I miss my Boxer.  

Boxers don't live real long, 8-9 years is about average, but they are some of the best companions you could ask for.  My Boxer was easy to crate train.  They are very smart, robust yet gentle with children, but often not the most obedient dogs.  Fetch is not in their vocabulary, but mine LOVED to play 'come and take it'.

I miss my Boxer.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a boxer mix, reddog, awesome dog, very devoted and friendly.

Of course I'd get each of them. Have a pack, the more the merrier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Mild tempermant?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Labs are way cool,,,,, But they require a lot of human interaction.   Ignore them and you WILL pay.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't  offer an opinion. I like 'em both. I would probably lean towards the lab, especially a chocolate one. I just like bigger dogs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
get both(standard arfcom answer)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the Lab.  Be ready to take it out for lots of exercise each day and you will both be happy.

Females tend to be more stay-at-homish; the boys want to wander.  My big male could climb out of a five foot chain link fence.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#10]
i'm a pro retriever trainer..

hell if i were in your shoes...
i'd go with the boxer pup....

a good chocolate lab is extremely hard to find..

boxers are cool dogs..
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Labs are way cool,,,,, But they require a lot of human interaction.   Ignore them and you WILL pay.

I hear that, you miss outside time during the day, you will suffer all evening.  I take mine on a 1-2 mile bike ride with her running along side the bike each night.  If I miss it it, thn all evening she is a pill.

Tired dog at night = alive dog in morning.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Puppy Questions...

Pit barbecue for 3 1/2 hours - plenty of spicy BBQ sauce  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
img49.exs.cx/img49/6986/ml.jpg

Mild tempermant?

Shouldn't the hat say Molon Lab?

Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Waldo speaks the truth.....labs need alot of attention and lovin'!!!my black lad would be content to sit in your lap all day if allowed. They don't realize how big they are...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#15]
 I've trianed both breeds for obediance, a couple were over 1 yr and one boxer pup that was about 8months.  Now I must say that I am not Lab crazy but, they are very eager to please and have alot of energy when young, I mean LOTS. They seem to really level out with proper training after one year, if you get a quality dog. I assume we are speaking quality with either though. Boxers I like but they can be dominant(or try). Any breed can be fully trained with time and consistency. If you don't have the time, maybe look into a good trainer. The consistancy will have to be there even if you hire a good trainer. If you are looking for a dog that will bring you a downed bird or chase a ball till it drops dead the Lab is a good choice. If you want something with a so so ball drive but may actually growl or snap at an inturder, maybe the boxer would be a better choice.  If you want a dog that does it all, of course get a GSD, the platoon leader of all breedsHO  Finally, what ever breed you decide on remember that a qualitiy breeder is the first and most important choice you will make.  And hey, if you have any training ?'s or issues I have 15 years experiance with most breeds.  Happy puppy shopping
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#16]
My friend's boxer randomly attacked me one day and took a chunk out of my leg.

Go with the lab.

Disclaimer: I know not all boxers are like that, but I have ill will towards them because of that incident seeing as how I didn't do a damn thing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I think you would be better off with a black or yellow lab. Some of those chocolate labs have suspect breeding lines.

We have two black lab mixes that are very good and very devoted to me.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Brindle boxer would be my choice
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I had 2 boxers and curently have a lab.   Both are wonderful dogs.   Boxers are smart and gentle around kids.   Labs are smart, very playful but can be  somewhat rambunctious.  Both breeds are puppies for at least 2 years, require alot of attension  and can GET INTO SOME DEVILMENT.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Boxers are awesome dogs, highly motivated, very family friendly.  The 8 week age is ripe for training and making them one of the family from the start.  A lab is also a blessing.  At four months, as long as she's had a good home, she will be a breeze to train.  If you hunt, or even if you don't consider getting Richard Wolters "Water Dog" and Spencer's "Training Retrievers for Marshes and Meadows"  If you can only get one, get the Spencer book.  I trained my yellow lab male at 3 Years of age to pick up doubles, and I've never trained a dog before.  Good luck, post some pics when you make a choice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, watcha get, which one?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Lab!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top