Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 3:04:49 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a new watch, as I'm downright tired of wearing the one my wife gave me for a wedding present.

I want to buy quality, and something that when it is noticed will say, "Damn. Cool."

I DO NOT want a Rolex, mainly because everyone has one, and because they are rediculously exensive. I'm considering an Omega, a Tag-Huer, or a Breightling.

Now, I've read many threads here about how awsome Omegas are, but I haven't heard too much about the others.

Again, I'm looking for a daily-use watch that is both classic yet undeniably masculine. It should be recognized as a quality timepiece without screaming it from my wrist. Finally, I really don't want to pay more than $2000 retail, and even that is streching it.

So, what suggestions might you have?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Omega tops my list, here are a few others-

Tag
Tissot
Fortis
Tutima
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah sure.....Its like AR's. It starts out as a spare....and keeps going and going & going....

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Edited to add a suggestion until you decide: MOVADO

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm fond of Omega's myself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Luminox.

They make a titanium version.

Found some really good prices at www.policegearusa.com Not sure if they have anything to spark your interest, but worth a look.

Edited: Wrong URL was input. The hotlink takes you to the right place, LA Police Gear.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
TAG
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
sinn
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
High on the cool, reasonably priced, intelligent choices are Hamilton and Seiko automatic.  I would like to get a Luminox automatic in the future.

Tag makes some good watches, however, alot of people see them as "couldn't afford the Rolex, huh?

Tags are often considered 10 year watches where Rolex, Patek Phillipe, Audemars Piguet, Breitling, and to some extent Omega (and many others...) are considered lifetime watches.

I have an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, that stays in the auto winder, that I inherited.  It makes Rolex look like low grade dog shit.  It also makes the price of Rolex look like low grade dog shit.

Personally, I daily wear a Timex Ironman, a Casio G-Shock, a Luminox 3001 (standard SeALs type watch), or a Seiko Automatic.

Summary:  Don't play the " my watch is more expensive than you therefore I am more cool than you" game.  Every NBA star with a 700 SAT has a blinged and iced out $50,000 watch.  I suggest geting a Horology magazine or a book or two, educating yourself to brands w,x,y,z; stick to a reasonable budget, and come out waay ahead.

Just my .02.

Edited to add: a horologist would recommend a Breitling automatic over the other brands you suggested.  Educate yourself, and you will come to the same conclusion.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Rugged as hell, never needs batteries and sets itself to an atomic clock.  All that for $75.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.cronograf.no/casio/image/urbilder%204/mars03str/GW-300A-1V.jpg

Rugged as hell, never needs batteries and sets itself to an atomic clock.  All that for $75.

Very wise choice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Damn. I didn't know they still made those! I may have to get me one for the outdoors and yardwork.

But for the office, I'm looking for something classic.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Edited to add: a horologist would recommend a Breitling automatic over the other brands you suggested.  Educate yourself, and you will come to the same conclusion.

I've heard that as well. Very nice, but also VERY $$$.....
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Suunto.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I say Omega Seamaster…

Mine is 23 years old now and still going strong, bashed it about the world, (Navy) and it even got run over once, my wrist broke, the watch did not! … A damn good watch!

Andy
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the Fortis, if I had the extra $$$  I would buy one.

TITANIUM EDITION
FORTIS B-42
OFFICIAL COSMONAUTS CHRONOGRAPH
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]
For a long, long time, I had an image in my head of a watch.  One day, I discovered Breitling Blackbirds.  It was it.  Retail prices, even from gray market dealers, were FAR more than I had ever spent on a watch.

So, I stalked Breitling Blackbirds for quite some time on ebay...on and off for about 9 months.  Finally won an auction.  Got one HELL of a deal.  Do your reasearch, have some patience, and you can determine fairly reliably if the seller is legitimate or not and get a great deal.

Not my exact one, but mine looks just like it.  I love it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
both classic yet undeniably masculine.

Omega (Speedmaster, Seamaster, Dynamic) or Sinn (656, EZM1, 356).

Easy to find many <$2000 at Timezone.com's Sales Corner
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Not the masculine look you are going for but I still prefer Rado.  They are far tougher than any listed yet and any other watch I know of, more advanced than most, highest quality and only moderately expensive though like Rolex options can make them as expensive as you want.

"The magic of the sapphire crystal dome united with the brilliance of high-tech ceramics. A masterful composition of the elements of color, material and form. Absolute wearer-comfort is complemented by the security of scratchproofness."

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#21]

not a Rolex - It's a Timex.
undeniably masculine - No worries about being labeled a metrosexual with this.
quality timepiece - Look at the beating its taken.
not more than $2000 retail - $25 at your local Wal-Mart
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Summary:  Don't play the " my watch is more expensive than you therefore I am more cool than you" game.

back about 15 years ago, I did a gig as a dive party leader... one of the "new guys" brought on his first trip a brandie new Rolex Submariner and throughout the the first day kept showing everyone his watch, with a full narrative of exactly what kind of watch it was, how much in cost (especially in comparison to what the rest of us had), how hard they were to get, etc, etc.

Now I had a 30 dollar Casio on the inflation tube for my BC, been there for a long time and that was its home... anyway, after we did a failry deep dive, we were all floating on the surface and double checking bottom times and max depth, when we hear a cry of "Damn! I don't f***ing believe it!".

Sure 'nuff... someone's Rolex had taken on a little water -- Of course, the list of sub-fifty dollar watches that still worked were held up for his review and once back on the boat, the word traveled quickly... we dubbed it the new Rolex model "Aquarium".

I know it is a one in a million event, but man... it it felt pretty good to wallk up to him for the next couple of days and say "Hey man, what time is it?"

ETA: Most of the time we are not allowed to wear a watch on our arm, I carry a Casio strapped around the bottom of the rover and for when the wife tries to make me look presentable in public, it is an old Citizen Wingman, classy enough for anyplace I ever hang out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn. I didn't know they still made those! I may have to get me one for the outdoors and yardwork.

But for the office, I'm looking for something classic.

Then I would suggest a titanium Citizen Eco-Drive.  Very classy looking and not too expensive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I had the itch for a new one too recently.

Found a TAG Heuer that I liked a lot but couldn't afford at $2500 locally.

Internet sites advertise this watch for $1700 but I don't know if they have the serial numbers or a warranty that's good at the regular warranty centers.

A local jeweler had their remaining Omegas at 30% off and I picked up this Seamaster for $1046:

Not quite as heavy as the TAG model above but beautifully made and has a nice feel on the arm.  I've been very satisfied with it and would buy another one.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a Casio and save your cash for guns. 'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#26]
i have the heuer (NOT Tag Heuer) autavia 2400 gmt which my parents got for me back in the days when i used to race. that was 1967. back then i used to spend as much time taking it to be fixed on springfirld ave. in springfiend, nj by the heuer factory repair shop as i did having it on my wrist. i hope they have people that know how to make a watch now.

be well
maxwell
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have a Rollie and a nice Concord and a few other nice watches...This is the watch I use to set all the others by.

+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#28]
The wifey and I just bought Tags recently, and we're very happy with them. Yes they match and yes we're corny like that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Go with a Luminox. Very cool.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Some nice watches here bro. Check it out...
www.westcoastime.com/milandmilinw.html
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a movado and absolutely love it.  I am pretty rough with watches, but the crystal on the watch is still perfect.

MCK
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag (the watch, not the thread)

Ex g/f bought me one years ago. Still like the watch.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Titanium Luminox or Heuer
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#34]
VX-6000 Verizon cell phone.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I am a HUGE Breitling fan, but since I found out about Sinn I've been leaning towards one of those.

www.watchbuys.com/Sinn.htm
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Breitling SuperOcean Pro or Omega Seamaster Pro. Both under $1500. If you get one, you will never think about watches the same way again. I bought a Breitling out of curiosity and have since bought another, and two Omegas. It will be something you enjoy many times throughout each day.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Omega navy 1972, or Omega apollo mission 1969-72
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have a movado and absolutely love it.  I am pretty rough with watches, but the crystal on the watch is still perfect.

MCK

Then you would appreciate a Rado.  Some of the Rado's look like Movados and are scratchproof.  It takes diamond dust just to polish the special alloy band and they use saphire crystals.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I have worn a Titanium Blue watch with a black carbon fiber dial, made by Fossil, for the past 3 years or so. It's held up great so far. Heavy beatings to the glass has scratched it slightly, but the watch has held up great, even in relatively deep water. I'd probably get a Luminox Titanium watch instead if I didn't already have this one. I like the idea of having an ALWAYS illuminated set of hands. The Fossil hands have to collect sunlight to work, and they don't work for many hours after losing light.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Summary:  Don't play the " my watch is more expensive than you therefore I am more cool than you" game.

back about 15 years ago, I did a gig as a dive party leader... one of the "new guys" brought on his first trip a brandie new Rolex Submariner and throughout the the first day kept showing everyone his watch, with a full narrative of exactly what kind of watch it was, how much in cost (especially in comparison to what the rest of us had), how hard they were to get, etc, etc.

Now I had a 30 dollar Casio on the inflation tube for my BC, been there for a long time and that was its home... anyway, after we did a failry deep dive, we were all floating on the surface and double checking bottom times and max depth, when we hear a cry of "Damn! I don't f***ing believe it!".

Sure 'nuff... someone's Rolex had taken on a little water -- Of course, the list of sub-fifty dollar watches that still worked were held up for his review and once back on the boat, the word traveled quickly... we dubbed it the new Rolex model "Aquarium".

I know it is a one in a million event, but man... it it felt pretty good to wallk up to him for the next couple of days and say "Hey man, what time is it?"

ETA: Most of the time we are not allowed to wear a watch on our arm, I carry a Casio strapped around the bottom of the rover and for when the wife tries to make me look presentable in public, it is an old Citizen Wingman, classy enough for anyplace I ever hang out.

In the openwater diving I do, It's curious to observe everyone taking off their expensive dive watches to put on their G-shock, Seiko dive, Citizen dive or Luminox dive watches.  Also, rubber watch straps are the ones that go below surface 80% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Tag Heuer "Certified Chronometer" (not to be confused with a chronograph)

A chronometer is sent new from the factory to an independent testing lab or "Proof House" where it is caliberated for 3 weeks and must maintain time flawlessly before being certified and then returned to the manufacturer for sale. (If it has a battery inside, it's not a chronometer)

To tell if it's a fake chronometer, look for a sweep-second hand, meaning that the seconds hand moves with fluid motion just like a Rolex and does not move jerky in one-second increments.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#42]
You can get a real good looking Omega for around $1500.00

or

Omega Deville Limited Edition

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#43]
breitling navitimer or omega seamaster...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#44]
The Omega Constellation Double Eagle. In my opinion, the most beautiful watch currently made, and it has their new coaxial movement.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Get a Casio Wrist Remote. You can change TV channels with it. Great in Bars. When the sports action gets hot, change the channel.

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2490216&cat=170076&type=23&dept=3891&path=0%3A3891%3A3906%3A170076
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I like the Tag's Rolexes and Omegas.  I always wear a Rolex when I travel.  I was on vacation in St. Thomas one year and lost my wallet.  I actually believe it was stolen.  I was able to sell  my rolex at a jewelry store on the island to fund enough money for the remaining trip.  To me it's extra insurance.  I believe people recognize the Rolex name more than the others even if they may be as good or better.  I also have a citizen eco drive titanium that was given to me as a gift that is just as nice at the Tag and Rolex I have
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#47]
TAG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top