Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 5:51:43 PM EDT
Some of you might find this helpful...

Years ago, a buddy of mine who shot a lot of IPSC warned me that the collet style bushings on Colt M1911s (the ones that have four "fingers" that hold the barrel) can break. I had never heard that anywhere else, so I figured if I wasnt shooting 1000+ rounds a year I would be Ok.

Mine broke yesterday. Ive had the piece since about '88, only put about 2-3000 rounds through it total. I baby the thing.

Tonight I installed a solid NM bushing. If [b]that[/b] breaks, something is really wrong.

G2
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You have hit on one of my favorite gripes.

My first handgun was a Series 70 which I purchased in 1971 when I was in the Army. It had the 4-finger bushing. It was totally unreliable.  Constant failure to come to battery.  I practically learned to be a gun smith on that piece.  I polished all metal to metal contacts, got emery cloth and polished the ramp, the inside of the slide, polished the o.d. of the barrel, "broke" the edges on the locking groves, tried different recoil springs -- everything and it still hung up.

I started having nightmares about malfunctions.  Then finally I bought a simple GI bushing and it never hung up again.  Boy, was I p*****.  I had even called Colts and they couldn't imagine what was wrong.  WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????  This firearm was stock, in no way a target piece.  Reliability should have been #1.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Liberty Ship:
You have hit on one of my favorite gripes.

My first handgun was a Series 70 which I purchased in 1971 when I was in the Army. It had the 4-finger bushing. It was totally unreliable.  Constant failure to come to battery.  I practically learned to be a gun smith on that piece.  I polished all metal to metal contacts, got emery cloth and polished the ramp, the inside of the slide, polished the o.d. of the barrel, "broke" the edges on the locking groves, tried different recoil springs -- everything and it still hung up.

I started having nightmares about malfunctions.  Then finally I bought a simple GI bushing and it never hung up again.  Boy, was I p*****.  I had even called Colts and they couldn't imagine what was wrong.  WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????  This firearm was stock, in no way a target piece.  Reliability should have been #1.
View Quote
                                           That gun worked real good after that, didn`t it!....match bushing, fit yourself is the only way to go!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I got a series 80 Gold Cup when they came out in stainless back around '85-'86.  It was a Christmas present from my Dad.  I was a college student at the time, so I didn't really get to shoot it that much(no money for ammo, didn't have a reloading press yet)  I'm not sure of the exact round count, maybe 2 thousand or so, but a finger broke off of the collet bushing in '90 sometime during the summer.  Match grade bushing was installed and never looked back.  I lost the front site that same day and had a Millet installed.  That lasted until last year, and now I have a dovetailed front site-much better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't waste your time with the bushing comps.  Worse than useless.

Norm
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Heard that story years ago, I keep spare parts anyway, and feel better about the solid bushing. The real horror story seems to be the Officers model...when the little lug breaks off the bushing plug ( I have yet to see it happen )
View Quote
                                               The solution to the officer`s "tab breakage" is to install Bill Wilson`s officer`s recoil kit....also helps the little gun work a lot better.....(imo)........[pistol]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top