Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2004 11:36:46 AM EDT
Taken from IMDB--

Mary ( Jena Malone) is a good Christian girl who goes to a good Christian high school in Baltimore where she has good Christian friends, mainly Hilary Faye ( Mandy Moore), and a perfect Christian boyfriend, Dean ( Chad Faust). Her life seems perfect, until the day that she finds out that Dean may be gay. After "seeing" a vision of Jesus in her pool, she does everything in her power to help him turn straight, including offering up her virginity. But none of it helps because Dean's caught and sent to a "degayification" center and Mary ends up pregnant. It's during her time of need that she becomes real friends with the school's set of "misfits," including Cassandra ( Eva Amurri), the school's only Jewish girl; Roland ( Macaulay Culkin), Hilary Faye's wheelchair bound brother, and Patrick ( Patrick Fugit), the skateboarder son of the school's principal, Pastor Skip ( Martin Donovan); whilst Hilary Faye turns her into a social outcast.

Trailer

Seems there's been enough "You're all going to hell"  talk around here lately.  Time to lighten up the mood.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Seems there's been enough "You're all going to hell"  talk around here lately.  Time to lighten up the mood.

Oh yeah, this is a good way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
im no "Jesus freak"

but thats just bullshit........................
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I might just ahve to see that. I think I saw a trailer for it on the barbershop 2 DVD. Maybe I'll just buy it on DVD when it comes out andd addit to the collection right next to Kevin Smith's Dogma.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's the ticket.  An anti-religion, pro homo movie with a soundtrack by marilyn manson, a priest for the church of satan.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw it last night.  Kind of cheesy, but having spent a good amount of time around the Jesus freaks, I would have to say that a lot of the caricatures are hilariously accurate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]
DON'T watch this movie. I saw it last night (my wife is a BlockBuster freak and rents every damn movie in sight). This is one of the WORST movies that I have seen in a LONG LONG time. And we wonder why our kids are so f&^%$# up?????

It made the devil happy though
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
im no "Jesus freak"

But you've got your nose up the butt of one

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard its pretty good. I would probably like it, it sounds like my kind of movie.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Calling people Jesus freaks is a great idea of how to promote goodwill

+1 for you savvy move.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
im no "Jesus freak"

But you've got your nose up the butt of one

you want to decipher that shit, bitch?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
You're right, I don't.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Mandy Moore
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a coaster if I ever saw one...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Heard of it, sounded idiotic. Just Hollywood going out of their way to bash Christianity again. I'm not Christian, but I do get tired of the Left's never-ending attempts to suppress Christianity and ridicule it's followers (all while plugging Islam as the religion of peace, of course).
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#16]
"I am FILLED with God's love!" as the angry chick throws the book (Bible?) at another chick.

I think I'll have to buy it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#17]
The problem is that people judge "christians" by what they say.

NOT by the content of the Bible. (The final arbiter of matters of the Christian faith...)

If they did, then the hypocrite would be easy to spot and rebuke. Jesus had to deal with a lot of hypocrites Himself, and His words to them were unkind.

If you study the Bible, you find little gems like:

" 3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked. "

1st John chapter 2

Judge people who call themselves Christians by the Book, not by those who profess Christ without posessing Christ.

Judge me by the standard of my Savior. I will not always measure up, but I do strive to be more like Him. Some do not strive to be like Jesus but instead use Him to enhance their own opinion of themselves.

I confess that no man needs a savior worse than I do. There is not a person on this earth that was more destined for hell than me. But God, in His infinate mercy, struggled with me all my life, until the day I surrendered. Now I am no longer what I was, not by my power, but by His. I stand before Him whole and clean because of His faithfulness and sacrifice, and not because of anything I have done. I stand completely on the strength of who He is, not who I am.

JW777,

The happiest Jesus Freak on ARFCOM.....
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Heard of it, sounded idiotic. Just Hollywood going out of their way to bash Christianity again. I'm not Christian, but I do get tired of the Left's never-ending attempts to suppress Christianity and ridicule it's followers (all while plugging Islam as the religion of peace, of course).

Amen.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm Christian, but that movie doesn't offend me. Some of the portrayals are actually rather accurate. It's just a movie.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm Christian, but that movie doesn't offend me. Some of the portrayals are actually rather accurate. It's just a movie.

It's just one bite, what's the harm Adam??

Sorry. Couldn't pass that one up...

A Christian movie exalts Christ. I sincerely doubt that this movie does that. What it most likely does is try to innoculate people against the Gospel message. This it does to their great harm....
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll have to rent it.

Any movie that makes fun of organized religion gets an A for effort in my book.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
movie with a soundtrack by marilyn manson

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#23]
had a nice long paragraph typed out, but nevermind.  it will suffice for you to know that a couple of you make me physically fucking ill..............................
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#24]
If your faith is so weak that a *movie* makes that much of a difference, I'd suggest working on stengthening your faith.

Christ is your buddy, doncha know!

The Church of Christ, our Buddy
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#25]
cute
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If your faith is so weak that a *movie* makes that much of a difference, I'd suggest working on stengthening your faith.

www.jesusoftheweek.com/art/j2k3-15.jpg

Christ didn't come here to give us the willies, he was a booster!

God, I love that movie.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmm, certain people on this board have no problem saying lets us bomb all the Moslems, but think it is unfair to portray any professed Christians negatively.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#28]
just as soon as Christianity starts preaching to kill everybody with a towel on their head for no apparent reason, you come find me and let me know about it
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
just as soon as Christianity starts preaching to kill everybody with a towel on their head for no apparent reason, you come find me and let me know about it

Like I tell people:

Jewish Fundamentalists want to live on their Kibbutzim and read the Torah all day.
Christian Fundamentalists think the teletubbies are gay.
Islamic Fundamentalists want to kill all the christians and Jews.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I saw it on the big screen.  I think it's a VERY good movie, definately worth seeing.

It's no Boondock Saints, but....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:54:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Like I tell people:

Jewish Fundamentalists want to live on their Kibbutzim and read the Torah all day.
Christian Fundamentalists think the teletubbies are gay.
Islamic Fundamentalists want to kill all the christians and Jews.

The Teletubbies are queer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:07:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Apparently you've never heard of Eastern Orthodox...

Digital
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#34]
For those of you that think the movie saved is just a bunch of fun, that is OK to denigrate believers of Jesus Christ, how did you feel about Bowling for Columbine? Hollywood would love to keep bashing Christianity until people view it as a joke. Hollywood and the major media players have a HUGE impact on the general public's opinions.

Do we like when Hollywood depicts gun owners as a bunch of gun waving maniacs? Do all southerners drive pickups with gunracks and confederate flags? Howard Dean and half of the country ( Liberals ) believes so. That all comes from what they see in the media.

Do what you want , but I will not be putting money in their pockets.

Thank God for people like John Wayne 777!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#35]
"Jesus H. Christ!!!"
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Double standard.  

I can't wait to see the smart-alecky movie making fun of Muslims, starring the home alone kid!

Oh, wait - that won't happen because it is only ok to make fun of Christians.  And sometimes Jews.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh yeah, another thing. Hollywood seems all fired up about making fun of those eeeeeeevil Christians. Why don't they ever make fun of the Communist Left that's trying to destroy American and everything it stands for?

I can't think of anything particularly sinister the Christians have tried to do in the last century or so (unless you think nativity scenes are pure evil). But for 50 to 100 years, the Communist Left has been hell-bent on imposing totalitarian government on first the US, and then the whole planet. Even now, they campaign tirelessly to raise our taxes to fund useless government programs, steal our elections, suppress our rights, crush dissent, subjugate us to the UN, destroy our culture, and eliminate our influence in the world, all while lying endlessly about what they're doing.

Why can't we make fun of those fuckers instead?

They're the threat to Freedom and Democracy in the world, not the Christians. Part of their campaign of constant lies is to accuse the Christians and the "Religious Right" of trying to do everything that they've been doing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that certainly explains a lot.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

That movie does nothing to weaken my faith.  What it does do is ridicule it, and that is offensive to me.  Doesn't the media portraying gun owners as bloodlusting psychotics offensive to you?  Respectful disagreement is one thing, outright lampooning and ridicule is another.

I'll withold my judgement until such time as I may see the movie, but from that clip alone I am not impressed.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Morons. Laugh it up  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That movie does nothing to weaken my faith.  What it does do is ridicule it, and that is offensive to me.  Doesn't the media portraying gun owners as bloodlusting psychotics offensive to you?  Respectful disagreement is one thing, outright lampooning and ridicule is another.

I'll withold my judgement until such time as I may see the movie, but from that clip alone I am not impressed.

Have you seen the entire film? Dogma that is.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Having been brought up in a hard-core Fundamentalist church, I  thought it was pretty good.

Some of the parody was pretty close to the truth......
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#46]

When Follywood starts making movies that mock Islam, then MAYBE they'll be onto something. Otherwise, it just sounds like the same ol' Christian-mocking in movies that's been redone a million times before.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm sure it's probably laced w/ some funny stereotypes & subtle (or less than) caricatures of fundamentalism. Still, I'm waiting for a movie that lampoons Islam...

...but it ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you seen the entire film? Dogma that is.

Sorry, was referring to Saved, not Dogma.  I own Dogma, which pokes fun at Catholic dogma, not religion.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Oh, you're definitely going to burn in hell for that one.  What savage mockery!

Hmmm... I wonder if that is pepperoni...
But while we're at it, seen this one, the "Talking Jesus Christ Action Figure"?

12" action figure dressed as shown in image (staff & sandals not included). Talking Jesus Christ action figure recites the 10 commandments.

Jesus speaks!

Only $34.95!

Remember, staff & sandals not included!

Anybody else but me think this Jesus looks like John Ritter?

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that certainly explains a lot.

Woah buddy don't include me in that bullshit. That wasn't the whole quote.  Marylin Manson is a gender bending talentless attention whore in my book.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top