Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 10:27:12 AM EDT
This is a serious question I had my first police for a while opened it all the time, my method is holding it by the blade and tossing the handle out. (it makes for a real fast draw out of the pocket) Because the blade is the only piece you can reach.

the second one broke after I opened it 5 times

now I have my 3rd one, and I really like the knifes because how sharp they are (razor tip) and pointy great for poking threw clothing. (I rested it on my jeans and it went right through)

I am guessing the holding the blade method is why I broke 2 in a row??

any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't understand - where does the blade break?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a knife expert, but aren't you suppose to hold the knife by the handle, and put your thumb on the Sypder hold and push the blade out with your thumb? Holding it by the blade and using the weight of the handle to deploy your knife probably puts too much strain on the blade.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#3]
What you're doing is (or very similar) to the "Spyderco pop" or something like that, can't remember the exact name, and AFAIR, it's encouraged by the folks at SP...

I opened my SPs MANY times like that and never had a problem...

Tried to contact Sal? He's alwsys helpfull to customers and might want to know that one of his designs beraks constantly if opened in certain way in JUST 5 times...

TO CLARIFY: what I'm referring to is grab the knife by the hole in the blade, and flick the handle open (as oposed as grrb the handle and flick the blade open)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

its actually not the blade that breaks its the spine lock, there is a small spring that breaks apart.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its actually not the blade that breaks its the spine lock, there is a small spring that breaks apart.

Maybe Spdyerco got a bunch of knives with bad springs. I would do what deimos recommended and call Saul at Spyderco.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
The email address for Sal Glesser is [email protected]

BFC Spydie Forums: www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=726

If you still have the two other Police's you might want to ship them to Sal with an explanation of what exactly happened for him to check them up.

Sal Glesser
R & D
Spyderco Knives
820 Spyderco way
Golden, CO 80403
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The best solution would be to take the Spyderco out of your pocket by holding it near the clip end.

Without opening it, throw it away.

Buy a *good* knife, and put that in your pocket.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Or buy a knife with a tip up clip
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The best solution would be to take the Spyderco out of your pocket by holding it near the clip end.

+1  I learned my lesson after breaking 3.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey aggie, you also broke 3 spydercos? did they explain why they broke?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The police has a stainless handle right?

I've opened my spydercos hundreds of times like that without a problem. They are the fiberglass/G10 handles though.  The heavy stainless handles would put more of a strain on the lock than the lighter materials opening this way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not to join in on busting on the the spydercos...A good benchmade is the price of that SP.  Only person I knew who had one broke it...one of those little parts in the handle.  I've abused (abuse from a military guy) my 2 BM axis locks and I've never had one break or fail.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Is this the one you have?  

Which piece is breaking?  Is it the "lock spring" in that drawing?  

Clearly, your opening method exceeds the tolerances of whatever bit is breaking.  Unacceptable to me in a $100 knife.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter.  Alot of the folding knife makers advise against flicking the blade open, just for the reasons you've experienced- they just might break.

I gave up on the front-lock and liner-lock folders.  I just kept imagining what would happen when some little itsy bit of metal breaks while I am bearing down on something, with the knife folding up on my fingers.  

Ouch!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.spyderco.com/pix/edgeucation/lock_front.gif

Is this the one you have?  

Which piece is breaking?  Is it the "lock spring" in that drawing?  

Clearly, your opening method exceeds the tolerances of whatever bit is breaking.  Unacceptable to me in a $100 knife.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter.  Alot of the folding knife makers advise against flicking the blade open, just for the reasons you've experienced- they just might break.

I gave up on the front-lock and liner-lock folders.  I just kept imagining what would happen when some little itsy bit of metal breaks while I am bearing down on something, with the knife folding up on my fingers.  

Ouch!  

my knife is very similar,just bigger.

its the spring that keeps breaking.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
here is how to fix your problem:

Buy a benchmade.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Buy a benchmade.

Correction buy a Strider
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey aggie, you also broke 3 spydercos? did they explain why they broke?

Broke two blades cutting plastic.  Another just stopped locking open.  Almost found out the hard way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]
buy a benchmade, had mine for five years still going strong and sharper than hell
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a benchmade.

Correction buy a Strider

Beat me to it.  You will not break it and if you somehow manage to, it's fixed.  Period.

By the time you keep buying those, you will be able to afford a Strider folder.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]
And I love my Benchmades.  But if you want one of the strongest folders, and are really going to use it, Strider is for you.  SnGs are nice.  SMF are a bit big for me.  They are coming out with a smaller version of the SnG/SMF format.  It may be out already, but not sure.  I can give you links to Strider sites with dealers if you think you want one...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#22]
where does one find these "Striders"? i have never seen them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

www.striderknives.com
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

www.bladeart.com/artists/strider/strider.htm

www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/strider_knives.htm
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Easy solution:

Buy an Emerson.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Easy solution:

Buy an Emerson.

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#27]
get a cold steel knife and you will not break it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#28]
You could also not use it.That would be a pretty sure way of not breaking it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Striders may be nice and all, but $400 for a pocketknife...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top