Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2004 8:32:47 AM EDT
Iraqi native arrested for terror plotWSMV-TVThe F.B.I. says it has foiled a terrorist plot in Nashville by arresting a man who bought automatic weapons at a local Krispy Kreme donut shop on Thompson Lane.

33-year-old Ahmed Hassan Al-Uqaily was caught Thursday after buying machine guns, handguns, ammunition and hand grenades from an undercover agent.

He told investigators he was angry with the Jewish community, but as far as Channel 4 knows, there was not a specific target.

Channel 4 knew of this arrest on Thursday, but we agreed to cooperate with the U.S. attorney’s office to hold off reporting the story until Friday.

Channel 4 News’ Susan Harding reported that Al-Uqaily has lived in Nashville since 1991 and lived at at least four different addresses. His name has often appeared in the media over the last few months as an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq.

Federal authorities said Friday they arrested Al-Uqaily during a sting operation set up after he made threats about "going Jihad."

Al-Uqaily was arrested Thursday afternoon as he was putting weapons he had purchased from an undercover agent into his car, according to an affidavit from FBI agent Greg Franklin.

Authorities said the suspect paid $1,000 to buy two disassembled machine guns, four disassembled hand grenades and hundreds of rounds of ammunition from the agent, who was working with the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force.

"This arrest demonstrates our ability to thwart potential threats to our communities before an attack can be carried out," U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft said in a statement.

Channel 4’s Jeremy Finley reported that many of Al-Uqaily's neighbors never spoke to his and really did not know him. However, many residents noticed that his vehicles were heavily painted with numerous political writings in opposition to the war in Iraq such as: “I pray all soldiers lay down their guns”, “War Won’t Work”, “Peace” and “Killing Kids for Oil”.

According to the affidavit, the investigation began in August after federal authorities were tipped by an acquaintance of Al-Uqaily that he was seeking to buy weapons.

According to the affidavit, Al-Uqaily told the acquaintance that he was angry about the state of affairs in Iraq, that he was "going Jihad," and that he was going to blow up something.

In conversations over the next few weeks, Al-Uqaily pursued efforts with the informant to purchase machine guns, grenades, handguns and missiles. The informant set up a meeting with Al-Uqaily and the undercover agent, authorities said.

"This case underscores the significance of information and assistance provided to law enforcement by the good people of the United States," Assistant Attorney General Christopher Wray said in a statement.

The affidavit says that during the later conversations with the informant, Al-Uqaily "expressed animosity towards the Jewish community" and discussed "two Jewish facilities in the Nashville area," but made no specific threats, according to a release from the U.S. Justice Department.

Authorities declined to say at a news conference on Friday what two Jewish facilities Al-Uqaily mentioned.

"This was a wake-up call to the fact that the system we're been trying to build ... works," said U.S. Attorney Jim Vines. "We're very dependent on the public coming to us to tell us what they know."

Al-Uqaily had his initial appearance before Magistrate Judge E. Clifton Knowles on Friday. According to Nashville police, Al-Uqaily was arrested for assault in 1997.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report. All Rights Reserved.)

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
They're here. We all know it.

It's only a matter of time.

That's why this is SO important for all us and for future generations.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
What that report didn't say is the area of town that happened in is referred to as little mecca around here. Nothing but muslims.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... a man who bought automatic weapons at a local Krispy Kreme donut shop on Thompson Lane....

damn, they (KK) must be really hurting with the low-carb deals goin on that they resorted to selling Class III firearms to make up....  no wonder the local gun hops don't have anything 'good' on the shelves anymore!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What that report didn't say is the area of town that happened in is referred to as little mecca around here. Nothing but muslims.

Little Mecca?  Nice that they're all bunched up like that.  How convienient.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes targeting the JDAMs easier...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep they are all huddled together, you go by the apartments and all you see is row after row of pre 1990 jap cars with some middle east flag sticker in the back window.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad they got him...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Momma said Krispy Kremes were not healthy!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
... a man who bought automatic weapons at a local Krispy Kreme donut shop on Thompson Lane....

What a dumbass! Don't Arabs know about the Cop-Donut Shop connection? I thought everyone knew you buy assault weapons and WMDs off the back of the ice cream truck or at a gun show.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#11]
"Can I help you?"

"Yeah...I'd like 3 yeast, 5 jelly, one chocolate iced cake and a B.A.R."

"Would you like ammo with that B.A.R.?"

"Hmmmm...no, not today.  It might get sticky in the same bag with the donuts."

Little Mecca eh?

What's the GPS coordinates?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't that just put the icing on the doghnut !!      If you try to buy a grenade in a doghnut shop .....Ya might be a terrorist.  If your bumper sticker says JIHAD ....Ya might be a terrorist! , Etc. , Etc.  ..........................................Edit fer spelling
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#13]
little meeca in Nashville? wow. here in Atlanta it's Africa, but it's the whole damn area not just a section of town.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#14]
None of the items made delivery. Dumbass was arrested when he showed up to take delivery & supposedly to pay for what he got. But why pick hand grenades & handguns on your first shipment? Strange combo, IMO.

He also said he wanted "missles". We shoulda took him to the fireworks dealer.  

Kinda strange a camel jockey would plan this in TN, a state with a high CCL rate.

If/when this sort of thing ever happens, do we take retribution from the muslims already here?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn that Patriot Act.  Stealing our freedoms on the justification of a non-existent terrorist threat.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Like i said earlier, we are loaded with them in that area. Fucking thousands.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What part of TN do you live in ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My office is still in Nashville, I moved from there out into the sticks. I live in Lebanon now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Damn that Patriot Act.  Stealing our freedoms on the justification of a non-existent terrorist threat.

Yeah, really...after all, there is no terrorist threat...Michael Moore said so!

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

eastern NC as well, you would be surprised at the amount.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My office is still in Nashville, I moved from there out into the sticks. I live in Lebanon now.[/quote
Im about 75 miles away
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My office is still in Nashville, I moved from there out into the sticks. I live in Lebanon now.[/quote
Im about 75 miles away

They are slowly taking over I'm afraid. I have seen 2 mosque thingies also.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Just waiting for the media to scream "This happened because the AWB expired".
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#24]
You'd never see that in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Nope , muslims own the dunkin donuts down the street from kk
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#26]
[ACLU attorney] This is yet another example of John Ashcroft's heavy handedness, insensitivity and intolerance. Grenades and missiles are part of Mr. Al-Uqaily's culture, and should be respected as such. [/ACLU attorney]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#27]
This is ridiculous, Michael Moore says there are no terrorists.  Besides it is the religion of peace.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Witch hunt.  Two words you must notice:  Sting Operation

What this means is that an FBI informant or agent went out and found someone who otherwise would not have bothered committiing a crime and encouraged them to.  This has been going on a lot lately, and it went on a lot under Janet Reno against so-called militia units.  You get some vocal informant to go incite someone or some group and convince them now is the time to act and then they work out a "deal" for some kind of illegal weaponry or whatever and then the feds get a big news story and appear to be doing their jobs in the public eye.  And guys on Internet message boards fall for it hook, line, and sinker.  It is not good work, it is merely more police state entrapment nonsense.

Anyone plotting a real terror attack isn't going to get "stung" by the feds.  That's how you can tell the difference.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROTFL
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#30]
buying automatic weapons at Krispy Kreme?
must have been this one
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Just waiting for the media to scream "This happened because the AWB expired".

Me too, I find it funny that the only "automatic weapons flooding the streets" were provided by the very government that doesn't want us to have 'em!  But at least they got the Fuck!  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't see why he didn't just go to the icecream truck

[ROLF]

Seriously, it's the ones who aren't all obvious and making asses out of themselves before hand that scare me.  Like going to flight schools etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What this means is that an FBI informant or agent went out and found someone who otherwise would not have bothered committiing a crime and encouraged them to.  This has been going on a lot lately, and it went on a lot under Janet Reno against so-called militia units.  You get some vocal informant to go incite someone or some group and convince them now is the time to act and then they work out a "deal" for some kind of illegal weaponry or whatever and then the feds get a big news story and appear to be doing their jobs in the public eye.  And guys on Internet message boards fall for it hook, line, and sinker.  It is not good work, it is merely more police state entrapment nonsense.

Anyone plotting a real terror attack isn't going to get "stung" by the feds.  That's how you can tell the difference.

Disagree.

You are assuming the 'terrorist' didn't try and find the agent to buy his items.  
It is much easier to obtain weapons here than it is to try and smuggle them in.
Hell, all you gotta do is find a local range, follow someone home, stake out, b & e, get weapons
BTW, entrapment is when someone is coersed(sp?) into doing  something that they normally would not do on their own.  This information does not read that way
IMHO
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#34]
It kinda unnerved me, if he had of obtained those weapons what kind of damage could he do to an elementary school or a mall?

That shit is messed up. It only takes one time ,just like 9/11.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Ban Krispy Kreme!  Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#36]
throw him in the Tigris..No - the Euphrates...in the lion's den at the local zoo...Well you get the idea...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#37]
SUCKER
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Former boss of terror suspect surprised by arrestWSMV-TVThe donut shop worker suspected of plotting a terrorist attack in Nashville argued for years with co-workers about his religious beliefs and U.S. policy toward Iraq.

Before Ahmed Hassan Al-Uqaily worked at the Krispy Kreme on Thompson Lane, where he was arrested Thursday for allegedly buying machine guns and hand grenades, he worked at a bakery in west Nashville.

Terrorist suspect Ahmed Al-Uquaily worked four years ago at Charpier's Wholesale Bakery. That's where Channel 4 News spoke with people who have known him for years, including his former boss, who talked to him just 10 days ago.

"He was upset about what was going on in his country," said Patsy Roberson, Al-Uqaily's co-worker.

Patsy Roberson often worked alone with Al-Uqaily at the bakery. She remembers the threats he used to make.

"Against Christians against Jewish people -- anyone who did not believe what he believed," said Roberson.
Channel 4 News spoke to the owner of the bakery, David Mosow, by phone. He also knew Al-Uqaily well and was in New York when news broke of his former employee's arrest.

"I can't tell you what shock I'm in, that he went this far. I can't imagine him doing anything like this for attention. I think he probably was serious," said Mosow.

Mosow has real reason to be disturbed -- he is Jewish. Al-Uqaily allegedly spoke of his anger towards Nashville's Jewish population.

"Although I don't practice as much as I should, I certainly am alarmed about it," said Mosow.

Alarmed and surprised, both Al-Uqaily's former boss and co-worker describe him as friendly even gentle. So when Al-Uqaily spoke of his violent views towards the U.S. and other religious groups, few took him seriously.

"He would tell me that Iraqis should kill as many Americans as they can over there. He never mentioned anything about personally doing anything," said Mosow. "I can't tell you what shock I'm in."

Al-Uqaily often called back to the bakery to talk to his old boss. He even came by to order a cake. He stopped working at the bakery after a back injury. Al-Uqaily left the bakery before 9/11.

Channel 4 News was told that one of his former co-workers was so concerned about Al-Uqaily and his comments that she called the FBI after Sept.11th to talk about him. The outcome of that discussion is unknown.

Al-Uqaily has been appointed a federal public defender.

Channel 4 News spoke with various Iraqi groups in Nashville -- all say they do not know Al-Uqaily.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Let's see......

Terrorists in:

New York
Boston
South Florida
Washington
Nashville
Spain
Indonesia
Africa

BUT NOT IN IRAQ, DAMN IT!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I've been in that Krispy Kreme and I didn't see any machineguns. Damn.

You just didn't ask for the correct variety of donut.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm glad the co-worker called the FBI.  Smart gal!

Vigilance is our best weapon against the Islamic terrorists in the USA, followed closely by the 2nd Amendment.  If a terrorist does go on a shooting rampage, let's pray there's an armed citizen nearby.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Oh, I guess the terrorists are so smart they would never get 'stung', huh.

Also, I don't buy 'entrapment'.  If someone induces me to do something that I know is illegal, then shame on ME, not them.  The "found someone who otherwise would not have bothered committiing a crime and encouraged them to" doesn't wash.  Ever hear of personal responsibility.

"You get some vocal informant to go incite someone or some group and convince them now is the time to act and then they work out a "deal" for some kind of illegal weaponry" doesn't sound like "someone who otherwise would not have bothered committiing a crime" to me.

Lots of holes and contradictions in your post.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Today's newsrag had an update about there being no second suspect. The irony is there's a gunshow this weekend but in TN the anti's are few & far in between.

Another irony is TN has a high % of CCL holders in proportion to its population. Since this guy was asking for handguns & grenades, chances are he'd been smacked before he went too far.

Now, my rant:  This asshole is a total & complete coward. He was planning/wanting to harm unarmed & uninvolved citizens, perhaps some of them children. He didn't have the balls to attack, say, Ft. Campbell where his sorry ass would've been shown lots of .223 or 9mm greeting. No, he was too much of a COWARD!            
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#45]
What, you mean, this 'terrorist' didn't get his machine guns at a gun show?  Everyone knows gun shows are a terrorist's shopping mall!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Fry the fucker!!And ANYONE like him!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Isn't $1000 a little cheap for two automatic weapons (hey, maybe they were STENs ), hand grenades, and ammo?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Local tv news had scumbag's scumbag lawyer on & he says his scumbag client was running a (GASP!) REVERSE STING OP!   Oh, god, I about died laughing!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope , muslims own the dunkin donuts down the street from kk

You mean the Dunkin Donuts on Murfreesboro Road? Those people are Hindus, not Muslim (nice folks too) but the clients are all Somali.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#50]

bought automatic weapons at a local Krispy Kreme donut shop

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top