Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 4:41:49 AM EDT
1:06pm (UK)
Howard Rival Concedes Electoral Defeat

"PA"

Australian Prime Minister John Howard scored a stunning victory in his country’s federal election today, in a vote that will ensure Australia keeps its troops in Iraq.

With more than 60% of the vote tallied, Labour Party leader Mark Latham conceded defeat in a speech to supporters in western Sydney, saying he had called Howard to congratulate him on his fourth straight election victory.

“Tonight was not our night,” Latham told the crowd.

The election was widely seen abroad as the first referendum for the three leaders who launched the March 2003 invasion of Iraq, with US President George Bush facing a ballot next month and Britain’s Tony Blair probably facing voters next year.

Labour had vowed to bring the roughly 900 Australian troops deployed in and around Iraq home by Christmas, while Howard insisted they will stay until Iraqis ask them to leave.

news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3603988
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully Kerry's sister does as well with her brother's campaign as Latham's.

If Kerry wns, he will be seen as the Neville Chamberlain of this century. Not doing anything about Al Quaida until it is too late.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hopefully Kerry's sister does as well with her brother's campaign as Latham's.

+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank God!  You Aussie ar15.com members did good.  Thank you.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Manboobs Mark got smacked down!

Pensioner puncher would have gotten a hell of alot of fellas in the Army pissed if he won (or so ive heard).
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Pensioner puncher would have gotten a hell of alot of fellas in the Army pissed if he won (or so ive heard).

So the Army is behind Howard?

Good.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If Kerry wns, he will be seen as the Neville Chamberlain of this century. Not doing anything about Al Quaida until it is too late.

Fixed it for ya'.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I am surprised to see no mention of the FACT that Kerry's sister has been in Austraila for months campaigning AGAINST Howard, one of our biggest allies. Funny, Kerry's bitches about the lack of a 'true' coalition (yet never defines what quantifies a true coalition) while his sister is working to remove one of its members.

I am so SICK of this.  

LINK and
ANOTHER LINK

or do a Google search for "kerry sister australia"

September 19, 2004
"Kerry" - Aussie For "Weasel"

John Kerry, the man who will reach out to foreign leaders, who will internationalize the effort in Iraq, who will change the way America is viewed in the world, might want to start this process by asking his younger sister not to chase away the allies we've got.

The Art Of Losing Friends

By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, September 24, 2004; Page A25

Of all our allies in the world, which is the only one to have joined the United States in the foxhole in every war in the past 100 years? Not Britain, not Canada, certainly not France. The answer is Australia.

Australia does not share only a community of values with the United States. It understands that its safety rests ultimately on a stable international structure that, in turn, rests not on parchment treaties but on the power and credibility of the United States. Which is why Australia is with us today in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Australian Prime Minister John Howard has taken great risks and much political heat for his support of America. There is a national election in Australia on Oct. 9, and the race is neck and neck between Howard and Labor Party leader Mark Latham. Latham has pledged to withdraw from Iraq.

This is a critical election not only for Australia but also for the United States. Think of the effect on America, its front-line soldiers and its coalition partners if one of its closest allies turns tail and runs.

The terrorists are well aware of this potential effect. Everyone knows about the train bombings in Madrid that succeeded in bringing down a pro-American government and led to Spain's precipitous withdrawal from Iraq. But few here noticed that this month's car bombing in Jakarta, Indonesia, was designed to have precisely the same effect.

Where was the bomb set off? At the Australian Embassy. When was it set off? Just weeks before the Australian election and just three days before the only televised debate between Howard and Latham.

The terrorists' objective is to intimidate all countries allied with America. Make them bleed and tell them this is the price they pay for being a U.S. ally. The implication is obvious: Abandon America and buy your safety.

That is what the terrorists are saying. Why is the Kerry campaign saying the same thing? "John Kerry's campaign has warned Australians that the Howard Government's support for the US in Iraq has made them a bigger target for international terrorists." So reports the Weekend Australian (Sept. 18).

Americans Overseas for Kerry is the Kerry operation for winning the crucial votes of Americans living abroad (remember the Florida recount?), including more than 100,000 who live in Australia. Its leader was interviewed Sept. 16 by The Australian's Washington correspondent, Roy Eccleston. Asked if she believed the terrorist threat to Australians was now greater because of the support for President Bush, she replied: "I would have to say that," noting that "[t]he most recent attack was on the Australian embassy in Jakarta."

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Huzzah!@

Toss a shrimp on the barbie!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I started jumping for joy when I heard this on the radio.  Thank god, thank god.  No more Spains.  Real men in Australia.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I was talking to an Aussie chick yesterday and found out a something I didnt know about them.

Voting and registration is mandatory. Period. She said they were exempt from voting since they were in the USA at the time,  but she had absentee voted, or so she inferred....

She also said she thought (one small nosering and wanted another one in the lip) their Conservatives would win, and if AUS picked our next one it would be GW....

She was cool......
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Australian night patrol in Baghdad…Private Jamie Davis covers Lance Corporal Adem Van Lierop during a night patrol of the Baghdad-based Security Detachment.

Aussie Army are the hardest bastards in the sandbox… they're the best guys to have by your side in a fight.

The Aussie SAS are working out in Western Iraq with the UK/US Special Forces… they are held in awe by our guys.

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope for the people of Australia that they can do something about those gun laws.  Is there any hope?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I hope for the people of Australia that they can do something about those gun laws.  Is there any hope?

Sadly, no…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#16]
As usually we can count on the folk from down under. A loyal friend is never to be taken for granted.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#17]
That is dang good news from the world down under. Well, lets put another shrimp on the Barbie.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the Army is behind Howard?

Good.

CRC

As far as I know, yes.

I am surprised to see no mention of the FACT that Kerry's sister has been in Austraila for months campaigning AGAINST Howard, one of our biggest allies. Funny, Kerry's bitches about the lack of a 'true' coalition (yet never defines what quantifies a true coalition) while his sister is working to remove one of its members.

I am so SICK of this.

Calm down, nobody knows about her.  Hell, I dont even think some people know who Kerry is!

Voting and registration is mandatory. Period. She said they were exempt from voting since they were in the USA at the time, but she had absentee voted, or so she inferred....

Yep.  Everyone has to vote.  If you dont, you are fined.

She also said she thought (one small nosering and wanted another one in the lip) their Conservatives would win, and if AUS picked our next one it would be GW....

This year the Democrats got fuckin owned but the Greens gained ground .  The Family First party, which originated from my cousin's church in Adelaide also gained ground.

Aussie Army are the hardest bastards in the sandbox… they're the best guys to have by your side in a fight.

The Aussie SAS are working out in Western Iraq with the UK/US Special Forces… they are held in awe by our guys.

+1!  Croc wrestling toughens you up heaps

I hope for the people of Australia that they can do something about those gun laws. Is there any hope?

Absolutely none.  Even if there was a legal way to reverse the laws, the majority of the people would be against it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Bump

You could not imagine the disaster if an Anglo country abandoned the US and UK on Iraq in the middle of war.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you for your alliance with us

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
It was great to see Australian uniforms in the dining facilities in Kuwait.  Thanks for standing with us!

I've been wanting to visit the land down under for years now - hopefully I'll have a chance one of these days.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top