Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 9:08:00 PM EDT
I'm buying a small amount of Tannerite in the morning. It will be my first time handling this stuff. How safe is it? I don't want to blow my hand off or anyone else's for that matter. I want to make sure I'm up to speed on this stuff before I mess with it. I'm getting a small amount to make about 10 targets. How is it mixed what do I need? I heard people mentioning spoons and funnels? I'm bringing this to a small shoot on Sunday so any quick help would be appreciated......

thanks in advance...

-John
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
BOOM!

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that "BOOM" my hand or my head? Just wondering...

-John
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you very much!
I feel much better about using this stuff now. I'm a little Leary of it because I went to a shoot a few years ago and the guys had it and were experimenting with it and made a coffee can sized one that blew the doors shut on his truck from 100 yards away! Scared the crap out of me!

Take care Beekeeper!

-John

Quick question is the spoon any size in particular? I'm buying a partial case with none of the kit. Can I use a regular teaspoon? Level teaspoon or heaping?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Tannerite has been providing a mixing container as of late. If you don't get one, you can use a ziplock bag to mix in and break up the clumps, if you wish. It does need to be mixed well. It's pretty hard to do that in the bottle, but it can be done. You may have to tap the bottle when half full to get the rest of the mixture in, if mixing in a seperate container and filling the bottle with a funnel.

As beekeeper said, it is one level Tablespoon of the grey/silver sensitizer powder per bottle. A measuring tablespoon, or a slightly heaping dinner tablespoon are about the same.

To give you an idea of how loud it is, my neighbors nicely asked me to stop setting it off at the house, and I have 30 acres. Now I call them on New Year's and 4th of July and let them know I am going to set some off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Just remember that you must mix it just before using it. Unless you have a storage magazine which meets strict requirements, it would likely be unlawful to store the mixed compound. From the Tannerite website -

When sold in unmixed form (Binary), Tannerite is non-hazardous and can be shipped without expensive hazmat fees. It is also exempt from CFR storage requirements. Must be used by adults with clean criminal records. Must be used at time of mixing to avoid violation of storage laws.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Another good idea is to hang the tannerite off the ground.  That way the explosion doesn't kickup rocks and make holes in the ground.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Put the lime in the coconut......
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.....
The stuff I got was pretty hard. I broke it all up in a tupperware bowl with a plastic spoon. Then poured it back in the bottles. When I get to the shooting spot are you guys saying I need to dump it out again to add the silver stuff? Or can I just funnel in the silver stuff cap it and shake the hell out of the bottle?

-John
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]
It is easier to mix the powder together in a larger container then the bottle.  You have to have a good mix or sometime it doesn't explode.  I recommend mixing it in the mixing container and then refill the bottle and shoot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]
When I mix the silver stuff in does it create a chemical reaction? Any danger in handling the stuff at this point? Should I be stirring it extra gentle like?

-John
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#12]
No apparent danger after it has been mixed.  But do NOT mix it before you are at the range and ready to shoot.   Didn't you get a video when you purchased the Tannerite?  They show trying to ignight the tannerite by fuse, propane torch, 9mm round etc.  NONE of those methods worked.  Tannerite needs a high power center fire round to touch it off.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When I mix the silver stuff in does it create a chemical reaction? Any danger in handling the stuff at this point? Should I be stirring it extra gentle like?

-John

No danger.  Nothing to worry about even when it is mixed and ready to go.  It takes a solid hit with a centerfire RIFLE round to set it off.  Like the others have said, just make sure you mix it thoroughly (it should have an even grey color like powdered graphite.  No white.)

If you want to make a little tannerite go a long way, just put 3-4 heaping tablespoons of a mixed batch in an aluminum foil pouch.  You will be surprised at just how loud that little bit will be.  The above is Hun Farm tested and TheRedGoat approved.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
OK..where does one obtain tannerite?
This sounds like something I will NEED to play with sometime soon.

Some shoot me an IM and let me know where I can get this stuff....and if Im going to be on some .gov list if I buy it online.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
www.tannerite.com[made link hot - Paul]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the great info guys! I will have fun for sure in the am.....
I'll post the results...

-John
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Well....The results are in and we had a BLAST, Literally!
Man this stuff is going to turn into an addiction now for sure! Everyone at the shoot had a nice big grin on their faces every time a Tannerite bottle got hit! SWEET!

Thanks again guys for all your helpful insight on this stuff it made it go a lot easier!

-John
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]

This stuff is like smack.   Very addicting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top