Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 8:02:22 PM EDT
I was talking with a guy who works at a supply house down the way about his new Bushy that he bought. He probably had it about 3 months or so. Anyway, he is known to be a bulls#%$er. He was talking about how it takes a little time to get adjusted to the sound of the spring in the stock when you are accustomed to a hunting rifle. He told me he dipped the spring in Plasti Dip and made it considerably more quiet. He has yet to produce it so I could see it. Always an excuse. Not that the sound bothers me, but I'm just curious to call his bluff. Anyone else heard of this before?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be quiet.

Probably won't work worth a damn.........

Just grease it up a bit, IF you care.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was talking with a guy who works at a supply house down the way about his new Busy that he bought. He probably had it about 3 months or so. Anyway, he is known to be a bulls#%$er. He was talking about how it takes a little time to get adjusted to the sound of the spring in the stock when you are accustomed to a hunting rifle. He told me he dipped the spring in Plasti Dip and made it considerably more quiet. He has yet to produce it so I could see it. Always an excuse. Not that the sound bothers me, but I'm just curious to call his bluff. Anyone else heard of this before?

Sure, it could be done.... though, I'd wonder how long the plastic coating would last, considering the friction involved.

I suppose if you used the most durable type they make,  it was petroleum resistant, and keeping it oiled/greased, it could very well work nicely...

Hell, I just slopped some plain old rifle grease on my buffer spring, and it quieted down a bunch.  I'd imagine plastic coating it would work better perhaps.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used Judy Butter, a light grease used on bikes and skateboards, etc.

Apply a light coat to the recoil spring and it dampens the recoil "sproing" noise.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Plastic coating would have too much drag.

Teflon would work, but might not silence things much
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
It dont work

It rubs off and makes a mess

Been there done that got the t-shirt
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I love "sproing"  It's the sound an AR is *supposed* to make.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
That sound tells you when you're empty...Learn to appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love "sproing"  It's the sound an AR is *supposed* to make.

+1

A bit of grease works for me. Like the noise is so noticable...

Yeah, it dosent bother me at all. Just curious. I would hate to grease it up too much though. It would make a damn mess when cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That sound tells you when you're empty...Learn to appreciate it.

I agree. It lets you know when the slide locks back if you listen for it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Grease does help noise, but when the temperatures dropped I had feeding issues.  I cleaned mine out and try to "enjoy the noise".  But you have me wondering now:  we have some "spaghetti tubing" in Teflon® at work for small wires that may work, I'll have to give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
That sound tells you when you're empty...Learn to appreciate it.      It really helped me in rapid fire sitting years ago.                                
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Recoil spring noise is Deafening!!! I have significant hearing loss in my right ear. NOTHING to joke about.

Guns are BAD!!!

So now I just go to the range and yell "BANG! BANG! BANG!!!

better on the ears and costs less in ammo usage!!

WHOO HOOOOOO!!!! ITS FRIDAY BABY!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't hear the noise when I'm spray firing from the hip and getting more thrusts per squeeze.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I put an Olympic Pneumatic Buffer in mine and I love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top