Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 3:22:42 PM EDT
I'm planning to pick up a pistol for her (Her husband died a while ago and she's living alone) and need some suggestions. She's not that experienced so I'm just looking for a simple revolver, probably a .38 but her price range is about $300. I planned to pick one up at the fun show this weekend, what make/model would you guys suggest in that price range?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you like her or not????
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Good choice for mother in laws

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
A .38 revolver that is as heavy and with as long of a barrel as she is comfortable handling.

If she can handle a 4" Smith 66 or Smith 19... thats your gun.  Get new grips if need be.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Smith or Ruger. Both are very solid. Taurus is not as solid. Of course, she probably wont be shooting much, but its best to have a good one.

If you find one in your price range, get a .357. She can shoot .38s until she can handle .357s, or shoot .38s and load .357s when it comes home.

Longer barrel is better. Much easier to shoot with.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on her size, I'd reccomend either a Glock 19 or  Glock 26.  The 9mm ammo won't punish her, and in an emergency, she won't have to worry about possibly forgetting to take off the safety.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah those damn tricky Revolver Safeties... I cant ever find the Safety on my Ruger Vaquero
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
It's on your hand.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Autos are easier to shoot, but require more training for safe use. I would prefer autos for a noob, but when guys come here asking about wheelguns, I talk wheelguns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry.  I just reread the post.  I missed the revolver part.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Autos are easier to shoot, but require more training for safe use. I would prefer autos for a noob, but when guys come here asking about wheelguns, I talk wheelguns.

I prefer autos but she has trouble operating the slide on my Beretta so I don't want her to have to deal with that, she isn't very strong.

BTW, she's very sweet, not the typical MiL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice trade :-)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
S&W K-frame with 3 or 4 inch barrel in either .38 or .357 magnum.

New is OK of course, but you should be able to find a decent used one pretty easily.

Don’t get fixated on a .357 unless you think she’ll use it in that caliber.  Nothing wrong with a .38 Spl using 158 grain +P HP bullets for a house gun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#14]
some older ladies can't yank the slide on an auto. 4"  .38 is my vote. my grandma carries a 3" .357, but even she says it's a bit much for her sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Depending on her size, I'd reccomend either a Glock 19 or  Glock 26.  The 9mm ammo won't punish her, and in an emergency, she won't have to worry about possibly forgetting to take off the safety.

Double action revolvers are the absolute best starting point for untrained people. NEVER an auto! You may think that a slide and removeable magazine are simple to understand and operate but simply pulling a trigger is all you want a novice to think about. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#16]
My personal CCW is a Walther PP, in .32acp. It is small and easy for me to work the slide (of course if you are ready to use an auto the chamber should be full already). I also have a 2" .38/.357 (Rossi-nickel), but it packs a bit more recoil than the .32 and is larger in my hand. There are a number of these PP/PPK pistols available on the market and cost runs from $240-$300+. I bought two in like new condition from Lois at Cenerfire Systems a while back. Good luck!

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#17]
If she wants a pistol, get her pistol.  However, I recommend getting her a 20 gauge or .410 shotgun.  There may be other factors that prevent such a consideration.  

I gave a 20 gauge saiga to my mother-in-law for home defense.  I also gave one to my sister-in-law so it did not look like I don't about her.  Anyway, both my sister-in-law and mother-in-law had no problems blasting away.  They shot up alot of defenseless milk jugs and soda bottles.

The only complaint was that the guns were ugly.  I told them to go to the gun shop and get a pretty gun if they want a pretty one.  I can only afford ugly guns as gifts.  

Well, they did.

Each one now has this.

the in-law's choice

And gave back the Saigas, which I sold for less than $100.00 loss.

My sister-in-law is also now a hunter because she shot "that dam rabbit in her garden" a few months ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top