Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2004 10:48:05 AM EDT
... to a weapon, military gear, a car, a truck, a house, a spaceship, freakin' anything.  I'm not talking about mounting a non-traditional scope on your issue M16.  People have been putting scopes on M16's for years.  I'm talking about using cut-up bicycle inner tubes as big rubber bands to hold your TA-50 (deuce gear) together, or duct-taping small speakers to your mountain bike so you could listen to your tunes while conquering that dune.

I had a friend who successfully took an inch out of a ruck (ALICE) pack frame and rivited it back together because he was a short guy and the ruck frame would cut his back open.  It fit him perfectly when he was done.

The same guy had rigged a length of medical tubing from an improvised spout on a 2-quart canteen, like a makeshift Camelbak in 1984, LONG before Camelbaks were around.  He refuses credit, claiming he saw someone else do it, but it was the first one I'd seen.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Ghetto waved my Spyderco CF Delica with a dremel tool a couple of weeks ago.

(makes a dandy bottle opener too)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I sharpened a clam shell and shaved my crotch with it.
Does that count?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Does that count?

I suppose that counts, but I could have happily lived my life without knowing it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does that count?

I just woke up... and that may have been the funniest thing you could possibly say to someone who just woke up.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
1.  Back in 1998, I cut up a carry handle as a BUIS for my Trijicon ACOG Reflex.  At the time, I thought I was being original.

2.  In 2003, I took the pistol grip off of a ARMS foregrip and dremel-ed a slot for the pressure-pad switch on my Insight M3 light.  Then, I epoxied some velcro into the slot and it made the perfect fit for my pressure-pad switch.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The most successful mod I did was to use the school's milling machine to make a set of custom fog-light mounts for my car out of aluminum stock. Unfortunately, this was way before I was into guns and I no longer have access to a milling machine ...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
1.  Back in 1998, I cut up a carry handle as a BUIS for my Trijicon ACOG Reflex.  At the time, I thought I was being original.

2.  In 2003, I took the pistol grip off of a ARMS foregrip and dremel-ed a slot for the pressure-pad switch on my Insight M3 light.  Then, I epoxied some velcro into the slot and it made the perfect fit for my pressure-pad switch.

Cool, thanks!  I was trying to think of some of my own mods, and my poor short-term memory was failing me.  I took a spare M16 handguard, drilled two holes through it on the right side, and then drilled two equally spaced holes through a plastic Canadian stripper clip.  I removed sections of the stripper clip to allow a flush fit with the handguard ribs, screwed it together, reinforced it with epoxy and glued velcro to it for my Surefire pressure switch.  I wasn't being too original since a buddy had done the same thing several weeks earlier, but it worked great until I rebarreled to an M4.  I think this was in 1997.  It wasn't pretty but it did the trick.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Damn, you WERE ahead of your time!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Not particularly noteworthy, except that it was AR-related.....

back in the mid-'90's, I wanted a harris bipod on my A2, and didn't want to buy an adapter.

I took a clotheshanger, snipped a 6" piece of wire out, doubled it over, put a double-dogleg in it, laid it inside the lower handguard with the double-dogleg part protruding through one of the holes in the handguard, re-installed the handguard, and used the two protruding loops of wire in lieu of a sling-swivel stud to mount the bipod.

Very tactical, if I do say so myself........
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I put cotton in the barrel of my M1A to help keep the noise down...oh, I'm sorry, you said successful modification. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I performed a successful sex change operation with a chainsaw and a cheese grater
does that count?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ghetto waved my Spyderco CF Delica with a dremel tool a couple of weeks ago.

(makes a dandy bottle opener too)

got pics?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#14]
full auto did i just say that
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I took some spare electronics parts I had laying around the house and with my dremel, installed LED navigation lights in the fore end of my Kel-Tec Sub2000 carbine.  Those little white LED's light up a room.  Ah, what boredom and spare parts will get ya.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#16]

I installed a ram-air type system onto my LE 1990 Chevrolet Caprice to accent the aftermarket dual exhaust.  350 H.O. L05, some kind of over-sized cam.  Haven't dyno'ed it yet, but I made a 50 mile trip in ~25 minutes in it.  (wife-to-be was sick at college)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I milled slots in the bolt of my VM-68 paintball gun so it would cycle faster.

Also, polished the feed ramp of my 1911.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I dremeled off the muzzle brake of my AR10 last week....does that count?

It is now fitted with a proper flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I made a ceiling fan out of a wind up record player spring motor for our remote cabin. Wind it up & it'll blow air around at 78rpms for about 12 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
full auto did i just say that

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I converted my wife's vacuum cleaner from electricity to kerosene power.  It has 125% more suction power but I have to vacuum with the windows open.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Does that count?

It counts if you are trying to get committed to a mental facility.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I performed a successful sex change operation with a chainsaw and a cheese grater
does that count?

See my answer to Rip_Roarin_Wacko.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I recently took a broken FAL firing pin and from that, using a bench grinder, fashioned a FAL hammer return rod.  

The tricky part was getting the rounded part the proper profile and getting it to fit properly into the hammer notch.  

400+ rounds later, it works perfectly.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Since Magnum Research quit making 440 Corbon Desert Eagle barrels in 2000 and I wanted one, I bought the reamers and gages and rechambered a 44 magnum barrel to .440. I have now sold several, and make the cartridge checking gages as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I took an empty five gallon paint bucket drilled a small hole close to the bottom of the bucket,then put the wall socket plug in through the hole attached the outlet plug in on it!

Then coiled a fifty foot orange extension cord into the bucket and brought the outlet receptical through the round pour hole at the top(put a tennis ball with hole through it) around receptical end so it couldn't be put into bucket hole!

Then when you need cord just pull it out,after use you just cram it back in about three feet at a time!!

Never gets messed up!!  My superviser saw what I had done and said damn you should patent that!!!

I tell him how the hell you going to patent something anyone can do free with little or no instructions!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Put a Chevy 4.3l V-6 in an airplane - it's still flying great.  I designed, sized, and built the engine mount for this installation, first time in a Mustang II, and modified the header setup from an RV-6 to fit.

I used a bicycle cable for the front canopy latch release on Bird of Prey (I also engineered the engine mounts on that airplane, from conceptual design, to layout and detail design, and strength analysis).  The front latch was a lightened trunk lid latch, from a Caddy, I think.

I built a self locking tailwheel for a Cassutt F1 racer that locked when the stick was pulled all the way back and released for steering as soon as the stick came off the stop.

My H&R Single Action Sportsman has springs modified from one taken from a ignition rotor - still working since 1976 or so.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I got my squad to use native bird calls during manuevuers in Basic.

DS's were impressed.

One was with me and my alpha team.
He kept looking at me funny when i whistled. I dont think he noticed the reply everytime.
He asked me WTF i was doing.
I said making sure where Bravo team is and what they are doing.
He said how?
I told him.
NO FUCKING WAY was his reply.
So I made the call to bring me the bravo team leader.
He showed up.
We tought the DS's our calls so they could participate too.

Bobwhite quial(sp)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I put cotton in the barrel of my M1A to help keep the noise down...oh, I'm sorry, you said successful modification. Nevermind.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#30]
double post
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I err made sights out of paper and sticky tape for my pre ban spud gun.  This spud gun shoots little teeny weeny bits of potato not full potatos.  Im not joking when I say its pre ban
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
... to a weapon, military gear, a car, a truck, a house, a spaceship, freakin' anything.  I'm not talking about mounting a non-traditional scope on your issue M16.  People have been putting scopes on M16's for years.  I'm talking about using cut-up bicycle inner tubes as big rubber bands to hold your TA-50 (deuce gear) together, or duct-taping small speakers to your mountain bike so you could listen to your tunes while conquering that dune.

I had a friend who successfully took an inch out of a ruck (ALICE) pack frame and rivited it back together because he was a short guy and the ruck frame would cut his back open.  It fit him perfectly when he was done.

The same guy had rigged a length of medical tubing from an improvised spout on a 2-quart canteen, like a makeshift Camelbak in 1984, LONG before Camelbaks were around.  He refuses credit, claiming he saw someone else do it, but it was the first one I'd seen.

I changed the solar arrays from a rigid panel design to a flexible panel design.

MILSTAR during pad integration. Solar array is near the base.

Deployed flexible panel solar array wing

Lousy artists concept of deployed MILSTAR satellite

CW
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#34]
rayra....

OUCH!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I took my 5 year old's toy hard hat and made it into a "army helmet" complete with camo and chin strap that buckles ( so he can take it off easy) . It even has "vegetation". I used some plastic leaves and ferns and stuff. It looks pretty good. I'm currently re-finishing a Mossberg 500 using the Krylon method. So far so good. I will defenetly post pics after I'm done.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I made a guide rod for the HS2000/Springfield-XD that drops in with no modifications to to the pistol that allows a heavier recoil spring.  It is nice on the .40S&W and works well on the 9mm too, although the recoil is already pretty nice on that caliber.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I built my own MP5...nah, just kidding.

I play hockey and my knee pad broke (the hard plastic outer shell), so I grabbed a light and melted it back together :)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I invented reinforced duct-tape.

First I duct tape something.

Then I wrap an unbent clothhanger around it.

Then I duct tape it some more.

I rock.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I rock.

Wow.  You can bend space and time so a straight coathanger wraps around something.  Awesome.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I rock.

Wow.  You can bend space and time so a straight coathanger wraps around something.  Awesome.

How's that pie, Ogre?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#41]
1.  I switched the buttons on my mouse to work left handed for the Alizee thread.

2.  I mounted a 2500 lb Warn winch on my riding lawnmower (might be a redneck?)

3.  Converted my Honda XR400 dirtbike to street legal using marine and aviation components.  Even have the plate and title!

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I camoflauged my expensive car stereo once.  

After the first one got stolen, I stripped the faceplate off an old, cheap radio, then glued the knobs and dials back on.  Used bent paper clips and Bic-pen parts for attachment points.

Then I installed the *very nice* car stereo into the dash a little deeper than usual, and made a quick-install mounting system to be able to put the fake faceplate on and off whenever I left the car unattended.

It looked like a cheap AM only radio, and worked perfectly.  Never got stolen again.  Hiding in plain sight!

Oh, and BTW:  the only good news about the first one getting stolen was that when the POS ripped it out of the dash, he tore the metal and managed to leave a bit of of his blood.  At least *that* part made me happy...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Oh, and BTW:  the only good news about the first one getting stolen was that when the POS ripped it out of the dash, he tore the metal and managed to leave a bit of of his blood.  At least *that* part made me happy...

You should have cloned him, got his fingerprints from the clone, then found him and beat his ass with your stereo.

My recent successful rigging type deal was cutting down a scope riser with my dremel to use on my carbine that no longer had the room for it because of an RAS II and a BUIS. Works pretty well, even with only one thumb screw to hold it on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Sorry, buit part of the aggreement is that I no longer talk about such things.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
1.  I switched the buttons on my mouse to work left handed for the Alizee thread.

Brilliant!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Here's my LEAST successful mod:

I needed to borrow 24 bolts from the bay next door so I could finish prototyping my new turbine-powered lawnmower.  (45 seconds to mow an acre!)

Unfortunately....someone had to do some work in the bay before I returned the bolts!

images.spaceref.com/news/2003/09.06.03.noaa-n.lrg.jpg

It'll cost me 50 bucks a paycheck,  FOREVER!  

CJ

Funny you should bring that up as that pretty much was what happened. Borrowed bolts were not returned. BTW, I used to work in that hi-bay before it was declassified.

CW
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I bought a place in the country with 11 acres.  I didn't have anything to cut the grass with except the pushmower I brought from my previous suburban address.  I figured that I have an ATV, I have a cheap welding set, and I can buy a few used push mowers for less than $100.

I welded up a frame from old bed rails and rigged 5 mowers to tow behind my ATV.  It took me better than 6 hrs to mow my grass until this 'modification'.  After the 'mod' it took me a total of 45 minutes.  This setup worked pretty well and lasted me an entire season.  Then I ponied up the $$ for a Swisher unit that has more HP and doesn't have 5 carburators to keep clean and adjusted  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top