Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 9:33:49 AM EDT
I don't completly understand executive orders,just a couple of questions if you guys have awnsers
1.HOW are they overturned,is it only another president or can congress?
2.From the minute they are given are they law until overturned or do they expire at any point?
I just don't understand in our system of checks and balances how they mesh,they seem to me like supreme rule,unchalenged legislation!Sorry so long,any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Does noone know how to google ?

usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa121897.htm
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
thanx for the link
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Executive Orders are the traditional fodder of tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy freaks because they are either too stupid or too paranoid to accept that the EOs don't work the way they think they do.

One salient fact about Executive Orders is that the action being ordered has to be lawful, and authorized under a particular section of the US Code.

The article linked to in the post previous to mine is incorrect in one aspect.  Executive Orders are NOT law.  They are LAWFUL REGULATIONS.  There is a huge difference between the two.

A lawful regulation must be supported by a law, or else it would not be lawful and easily struck down in a court challenge.  

The President cannot issue an EO ciminalizing something that is currently legal.  That's why EOs are not law.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay here's one for ya. The 89 import ban...was that done under "sporting purposes"? If so why hasn'tr annyone started an AK/SKS/Underfolker, SBR, AP ammo using competition/SPORT? WOuld that effectively render the EO useless?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
my questions where asked because I was wondering if we'd ever see the '89 import ban go bye bye,essentially didn't know what would have to come to pass.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Okay here's one for ya. The 89 import ban...was that done under "sporting purposes"? If so why hasn'tr annyone started an AK/SKS/Underfolker, SBR, AP ammo using competition/SPORT? WOuld that effectively render the EO useless?

no, basically the ATF say "hunting" is the only sporting purpose for rifles.
And only hunting rifles recomended by hunting "guides" are suitable.

www.atf.gov/pub/treas_pub/assault_rifles/determin.pdf

www.atf.gov/pub/treas_pub/assault_rifles/suitabil.pdf

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
my questions where asked because I was wondering if we'd ever see the '89 import ban go bye bye,essentially didn't know what would have to come to pass.

Best way to remove the import ban would be to amend the 1968 GCA to say "lawful purpose" instead of "sporting purpose"

Probably not gonna happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top