Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 7:08:15 AM EDT
If you have a handheld GPS, a love of the outdoors, a sense of adventure and some extra energy, this is a great way to get outside and enjoy the scenery for a change.

Go here: www.geocaching.com
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#2]
When I first heard about it, I thought it sounded kind of cool.  I read up on it, and I'd say it's best done with your kids.  I have no kids.  It's going to be a bit of a let down when I find a cache, open it up and find a bunch of toys/trinkets/crap that I don't care about.
Maybe if the caches had ammo.  Like, I could put my useless 30-30 ammo in there and someone could leave me some 45 or 9 or 223.
My overall impression is that lots of people bought GPS units, then realized they didn't have a use for them.  So they made up a use.

ETA:  BTT'ing your own thread 13 minutes later???
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Forget about the crap found in the cache. It is only of interest to children. The fun of the sport is directly proportional to the difficulty rating of the cache. The majority of caches are easily found in a few minutes after a very short walk. These are a great family activity to entertain the kids on a pic-nic outing. But if you want some serious adventure just choose to look for the caches with higher difficulty ratings. Some folks like to go out on a Saturday morning and zip about in their car to find a large number of easy caches and run up threir "find" count. I think it is much more fun to go after a difficult one and spend several hours hunting for it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
"BTT'ing your own thread 13 minutes later???"

Well excuuuussse meee! I just wanted to keep it on the front page. But I guess I'm John Fuckin Kerry now for doing that. I just wanted to give a helpful resource to my friends at Arfcom but hey, maybe I'll just keep it to myself next time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, thats alot of fun .....  I've done it with the kids.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#6]
It was hella fun... Till some one stole my gps out of my rig!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Been there, done that, loved it.

Good way to have excercise and have fun at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations on being so full of yourself.  And by the way, your not the first one to post this here.  BTT'ing your own post in such a short time is pretty much rude.  If it can't stand on its own, let it fall by the wayside.

Quoted:

Well excuuuussse meee! I just wanted to keep it on the front page. But I guess I'm John Fuckin Kerry now for doing that. I just wanted to give a helpful resource to my friends at Arfcom but hey, maybe I'll just keep it to myself next time.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wow, looks like someone found a turd in his oatmeal this morning ....

Calm down, all is well, thanks for the info ...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
So, let me get this straight. Because I went out of my way to preserve a post that I have nothing to gain from, I am "Full of myself". Hello, pot calling kettle black? You there? Obviously you are far more important than the rest of us, so your opinion counts more. Who attacked a harmless thread in a sea of useless threads about body parts and martha stewart? Huh?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I read some news article about the bombsquad being called out when somebody left a "pipe" looking object at a location.  Turned out to be a geocacher leaving his "treasure" behind.  Ooops.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Been doing this for a few years now. Forget about the Trinkets, it's only TSLS(take something, leave something). The fun is going out and finding the cache. sign the log, and go find more.  It allows me and my father to spend time together doing something we love, playing with techno gadgets and being outdoors.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#14]
cwd10

The shameless BTT was worth it to me, Thanks
I went to the site and found all sorts of caches in my area.

Sometimes I feel like I live in a cave, I've never heard of this before.

Thanks again, the Grandkids are going to love this

GM
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Same here...thanks for the BTT. I am going to go and try it out one of these weekends.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#16]
www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=118002 This one is mine. If you go for it plan on walking either up hill or down the entire way. No flat ground here. If it has rained plan on getting muddy. This one is for the adventurous cacher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top