Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 6:42:52 AM EDT
I've called them three times in the last couple of years.

The first time it took them 17 minutes to answer the phone.

The second time it took 11 minutes.

The third time, just this week, they took 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Within one or two rings. I have to ask, why are you calling 911 so often. I'm 40 years old and have never needed to call 911. You're not one of those people that call 911 for non emergencies are you? They are the ones that cause the delays.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I' don't know.. give me a sec. and I'll find out....................
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The three calls I'm referring to were road hazards on heavily travelled freeways.  In one case a large truck wheel was blocking a traffic lane and causing a dangerous situation.  The other two were people on foot, in distress, caught in traffic.  ON EDIT - My memory is getting clearer.  The second call was for a bicyclist that had been hit by a car.  He was unconscious.

The California Highway Patrol doesn't answer their direct line after 5 PM.  Their answering machine instructs callers to call 911 to report all emergencies.  In each case I asked the 911 operator if the call was appropriate.  They said "Yes" all three times.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Within one or two rings. I have to ask, why are you calling 911 so often. I'm 40 years old and have never needed to call 911. You're not one of those people that call 911 for non emergencies are you? They are the ones that cause the delays.

Not saying this guy is but the people that call 91 for no good reason burn my ass.  That's what we have a non-emergency line for.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't dial 911!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
1-2 rings.  
hello.  do you need Police, Fire or EMT?
Police.  
what is your address...
so and so.
then they get into the nature of the call.

go ahead and call 911.  but make the call exactly like this!
i am sorry i dialed the wrong number.
ok good bye..
good bye.
(wait for them to hang up!)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ok good bye..
good bye.

Please don't do that.  Intentionally making a frivolous call is a crime here, I'm sure it is in most places.

I'm seeking actual experiences from real emergency situations.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
911. What a joke. My house could of burned to the ground because of those knotheads.

The friggen fire department is two blocks away and the dummys got lost getting here. TWO F****** BLOCKS!!! No cops either (this was arson) because I was told by the 911 operator that they were all on a drug bust. On tape, in court, you can here the pause in my voice when I asked "All of them?"

Next time, I'll hop in the car and go get the Fire Department.

(There won't be a next time, sorry about the rant)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I think the problem here in San Diego is people calling for non-emergencies plus tbe the proliferation of cell phones.  About 90% of people in the areas I frequent seem to have at least one at all times.

The injured bicyclist I called about roughly a year ago probably generated dozens of 911 calls from all the drivers who were stuck in traffic because of him being injured.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#10]

That's what we have a non-emergency line for.

Yes, but how many departments answer that line 24/7?  Most I've seen just forward the line to 911 after hours.  It's annoying when you need to speak to a specific officer, and their main # forwards you on to 911 without asking.  I've probably had that happen 2 dozen times in the past month.  It places an unnecessary load on the 911 operators.  On the good side, 911 has always answered immediately even with all of the non-emergency calls they handle.z
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ok good bye..
good bye.

Please don't do that.  Intentionally making a frivolous call is a crime here, I'm sure it is in most places.

frivolous...
you honestly dialed the wrong number.  what is frivolous about that?
besides you have to test the system.  we had a debate up at work if 911 would work with our 9 dial out or if you had to type 9911 to get help. i quickly dialed 9911 and got emergency.  I passed the information along to my supervisor.  after the chicken secretaries in the barnyard settled down (they were sure a SWAT team would break down the door).  we sent out a corp wide memo that had complete 911 dialing info and made up stickers for every phone that said "for emergency dial 9911 on this phone."    

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Where I live, 911 calls the county Sherrif's office first. She will then ask you if the problem is in the city and transfer it over to them. It doesn't take long.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ok good bye..
good bye.

frivolous...
you honestly dialed the wrong number.  what is frivolous about that?
besides you have to test the system.  we had a debate up at work if 911 would work with our 9 dial out or if you had to type 9911 to get help. i quickly dialed 9911 and got emergency.  I passed the information along to my supervisor.  after the chicken secretaries in the barnyard settled down (they were sure a SWAT team would break down the door).  we sent out a corp wide memo that had complete 911 dialing info and made up stickers for every phone that said "for emergency dial 9911 on this phone."    

It's pretty obvious.  9 gets you the outside line.  Why wouldn't you have to dial 9911?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
First or second ring.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The three calls I'm referring to were road hazards on heavily travelled freeways.  In one case a large truck wheel was blocking a traffic lane and causing a dangerous situation.  The other two were people on foot, in distress, caught in traffic.  ON EDIT - My memory is getting clearer.  The second call was for a bicyclist that had been hit by a car.  He was unconscious.

The California Highway Patrol doesn't answer their direct line after 5 PM.  Their answering machine instructs callers to call 911 to report all emergencies.  In each case I asked the 911 operator if the call was appropriate.  They said "Yes" all three times.

Wow another example of people not being able to figure out 911.

Bicyclist hit by a car.......................that's 911 wherever you are.

The other 2 might be more dependent on the location you are in. I can see DC, NYC, Chicago etc. not thinking person in traffic, road hazard are 911 worthy. But the general rule is if it is "in progress" call 911.

I hear one more voice mail reporting a "shots fired" call..........................
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Im a 9-1-1 dispatcher, and our policy is 3 rings or less....( 3 rings is 20 sec.) I can have a call done and off the phone with the caller in less than a min. ( for the most part).

I have to get ready to goto work, and I dont have a lot of time to get into this right now, but when I get home I will check in and see what I can help with....

For now all I will say is...

If you dont know the  address or the cross streets (with north south east or west directions) or have a really good land mark for directions, you are not going to get very far...

I honestly think cell phones are Evil, and cause more harm than good most of the time.

Im sorry I have to leave now.

and if anyone has any questions post them, I will try my very best to give you my side when I get home tonight.

BTW: California Kid.....  A phone will hang up long before 17 min, or the 9-1-1 center will have a message, and even if all of this fail'd 9-1-1 calls you back if the line is lost or hung up...

3 rings is approx 20 sec...are you sure about the 17 min time?, or are you talking about the amount of time it took for someone to arrive on the scene?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Thankfully, I've never had to dial 911.

If I ever do dial it, it sure as hell won't be because someone broke into my house.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#18]
They are real good about getting it on the 1st or 2nd ring and the Deputy response time here is always good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top