Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 9:16:08 PM EDT
I had a great time, the marines are awesome. I turn 17 in 8 days, been talking to the recruiters, so one of them came by and picked me up today, I spent about 4 hours over there. After I took that test, we just hung out and chatted, they are the kind of people I want to work and serve with. when I was getting ready to take off, one of them brought out a ceremonial M14 just to show it off, I was amazed at how nice and clean it looked.

I was thinking about joining through the PLC-Law program my senior year of college, but now I’m thinking about joining the reserves until I become a senior, then transfer to full time.

Any of you have any opinions on it? I'd love to hear what you all have to say!

(spelling edit)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
do it and don't look back.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]

better edit before the spelling police show up, and no thats not me
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Go for it. The Reserves can help you find out if its for you or not.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish you the best!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
semper fi
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Good Luck, You are heading in the right direction young man!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
if you really want to do iit, do it, but i dont think its ALL fun

but its good expierence

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
 Regardless of the route, sign up.  

ROTC, OCS, college, ..... whatever.  

I remember this goofy kid in my high school.  MarshMellow at the time.  Pudgy.  Poor grooming habits.  We graduated.  He enlisted.  

Ran into him a few years later.  

Totally different person.  The service developed him into a MAN that gave and commanded respect.  His "presence, bearing, posture, persona, aura, ..." however you would describe it was totally changed.  

Disciplined.  In control.  Apparent immediately.  

Good luck, whichever path you take.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:03:48 AM EDT
[#10]
good choice, and thank you.  The military (any branch) is an honorable decision and you'll reap the benefits for the rest of your life.  Kick some ass!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:20:31 AM EDT
[#11]
ADVENTURE!........Always search for the Adventure!

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:55:55 AM EDT
[#12]
If you know you want to be an Officer of Marines, you need to contract with the OSO as soon as possible, they use to let you contract after 1 semester or if you were prior service upon entering college, but your OSO will give you specifics.   The reason I say as soon as possible, is that if your just the run of the mill white guy, than your going to have allot of competition the longer you wait.  The easiest route is go sign up with PLC early.  After your junior year, your going to have a hard time of it, the OCC slots are hard to get and very competitive.  The way the Marine Corps looks at it, the close to graduation applicants or just graduating college grads, are there because he realized he needs a job so that is why they are there, unlike the Freshman or Sophomore who by contracting early shows his desire to be a Marine is more than to just have a job.

If your wanting to be a reservist, many OSOs right now are less than willing to take reservists in because of the GWOT.  Years ago it was the primary place to recruit future officers.  However now, with the cycles of activations, etc they don't want to risk it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was thinking about joining through the PLC-Law program my senior year of college, but now I’m thinking about joining the reserves until I become a senior, then transfer to full time.

Do it.
Join the reserves before college, then do PLC.  
Join an infantry unit.

STLRN is right about GWOT affecting your OSO's decision.
But what the hell?
A little war as an enlisted grunt might slow your approach towards a commission, but it will make a better officer of you in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#14]

It's good that you are considering it so early in life.  One of the GREAT things about the reserves is, you can sign up now, and will start accumulating retirement points immediately.  Meaning, if you decide to do twenty years in,  you'll retire months ahead of others who had to wait until after graduating HS to go active duty.

I realize that doesn't mean much to you now as a young man, but as you get older, you will really learn to appreciate this fact.

I joined the National Guard three months into my senior year, so I had close to a over a year's service under my belt when I graduated Basic/AIT.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got to give the facts.
I recently talked to an OSO, I believe in the 8th District, and he was telling me that SMCR Marines had to request being assigned to the IRR when they applied now and those that have already been accepted were being told it was highly advisable to put in an AA form to be dropped to the IRR.

Also this is suppose to be the last year you see 84-92 day reservists, because of the last activation round allot of units having 3-5 percent of their SMCR Marines not deployable because of not attending MOS school yet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I recently talked to an OSO, I believe in the 8th District, and he was telling me that SMCR Marines had to request being assigned to the IRR when they applied now and those that have already been accepted were being told it was highly advisable to put in an AA form to be dropped to the IRR.

Also this is suppose to be the last year you see 84-92 day reservists, because of the last activation round allot of units having 3-5 percent of their SMCR Marines not deployable because of not attending MOS school yet.

If I was in you shoes I'd DEP now, Infantry, and go to college after my first tour, or join the Reserves, Infantry, and got to college, you'll likely get one Iraq tour in before you graduate.
Being enlisted first may not make you a better officer, but it probably won't make you a worse one.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I recently talked to an OSOOfficer Selection Officer, recruiter for officers , I believe in the 8th District8th Marine Corps Recruiting District, and he was telling me that SMCRSelected Marine Corps Reserve, Drill reservists Marines had to request being assigned to the IRR Individual Ready Reserve, non-drilling reservists when they applied now and those that have already been accepted were being told it was highly advisable to put in an AA form Administrative Action Form, official paper work from a Marine to his higher headquarters on his own behalfto be dropped to the IRR.

Also this is suppose to be the last year you see 84-92 day reservists
Reservist who go to split training, with Boot camp 1 summer and MOS than Marine Combat Training in following summers
, because of the last activation round allot of units having 3-5 percent of their SMCR Marines not deployable because of not attending MOS school yet.

My mistake I get into jargon because I am use to people knowing it already.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They HAVE to drop to the IRR?

I have many PLC Marines in my Battalion.  This is news to me.
I will look into this, because I would hate to lose them.

Good point about the 84-92 day, "summer school" reservists.
It is advisable to take a year, or at least a semester and a summer off, to complete your training.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
do it and don't look back.

Do it my young Padawan.  

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#20]
That is a good point.

You're 17, and plotting your future.
This is good.

On the other hand, you can always just make the leap....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Good call of the reserves first.
Service is never a bad idea.
Just realize you may miss a few years of college fighting.
But, hey, the pussy will be that much easier to score.
Drunken frat boy vs combat veteran.
yeah, you win.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Be sure to get the recruiter to at least buy lunch for you first.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#23]
They don't "have to" drop to the IRR.  They are encouraged to because of last summer when several PLC slots for OCS went unfilled because of activations.

The old preference for a SMCR Marines is not what it use to be.  The way the OSO put it was that, why really go through all the effort to get a candidate that may not be able to go to OCS because of activation? They might change their minds if there was a shortage of applicants, but when you have several for each slot.    Honestly if your a OSO and you have several candidates for each OCS slot and you know some won't be able to do it because of activation which would you select?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Perhaps then SMCR throughout college, and then do OCC your last year.

Yes, it's more competetive, as it should be.

It would be a shame, if the tradition of the SMCR/PLC Marine was to fade away.

Isn't that your origin?
It's mine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#25]
No, I went through MECEP
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Do it.
You will never regret it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I had a great time, the marines are awesome. I turn 17 in 8 days, been talking to the recruiters, so one of them came by and picked me up today, I spent about 4 hours over there. After I took that test, we just hung out and chatted, they are the kind of people I want to work and serve with. when I was getting ready to take off, one of them brought out a ceremonial M14 just to show it off, I was amazed at how nice and clean it looked.

(spelling edit)

Alright man, remember those guys are recruiters.  Its their job to be your best friend and make you think being in the military is great.

Before you make any decisions, talk to people who have done it before.  People that loved it, and people that hated it.  Listen to what they all have to say, then make your decision.

I joined the Army without really listening to anyone that said they didn't like it.  Some days I regret joining, others I'm glad I did... and some days I just want to kill myself
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#28]
wow, you guys are awesome, most of the other people i talked to ekpt telling me that its not worth it, or that the only reason to join, is to join as an enlistee so i get college paid for. thanks for your support, I'll look into signing up as soon as i can then.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Do more research man.

I'm not saying its not worth it or any that BS... just make sure you are very well informed and not jumping into anything,
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Do it. You won't regret serving.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#31]
A few of my friends are in or are going in. The washington crew knows these guys, Skillets has been in for a year now and is going to Iraq in 45 days. BJ is off to boot in California in 18 days. Skillets is 27 now and BJ is 28. They both got late starts but are very excited about the future.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top