Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 3:27:24 PM EDT
did something happen in NY? was there a law passed of which i am unaware?

i walked into a local gunshow a while back, with an M1 Carbine and an intent to sell. they would not admit me unless i surrendered to some men i didn't know, my driver's license. they proceeded to inform me that if i sold it to "joe six-pack" then i would have to ask an FFL (who may or may not charge for the service) to aid in the required back-ground checks. but if i were to sell it to an FFL, then all i would need is a receipt with the FFL # on it, IN ORDER TO GET MY LICENSE BACK!!!! AND, WHAT DO THEY DO WITH IT IN THE MEAN-TIME???

WHAT IS UP HERE????
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm guessing you are south of me(Binghamton NY)

Nassau - Westchester - LI ??

(How did I know [;)])

They screwed you Bro !

Nobody can take and keep your DL for "intent"
Yes - you have to go through NICS to sell a
firearm at a Gunshow - but requiring that for
Admittance is pure B***S**T !

Find a Good "Ambulance Chaser " Lawyer [8D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
What happened to you is not against the law.  They didn't violate any of your rights.  The promoters/organizers of the show are a private group and can ask you do do just about anything (within the bounds of the law) if you want to be admitted to their little party.  You didn't have to surrendur your DL...but they don't have to admit you if you don't want to abide by their rules either.  It sucks but it was just a condition of entering upon their little get together.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun shows suck!
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmmmm, New Kali...?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Just like retailers: "No shirt, No shoes, No service."

Same deal.

In WA I have a CCW (CPL here), but many businesses (and cities for that matter) prohibit the carrying of any concealed weapon. The businesses are private property so I can understand that. The cities I'm not so sure about...I'll have to look into it more. Point is: even though I'm licensed to carry statewide, I have to disarm depending on where I go.
Pain in the ass, I say.
CS
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
It is the 70's all over again.  The AFT's agenda back then if you trying to sell firearms at a show.  You needed to have a FFL license to complete the deal since they viewed it as part of the '68 gun law.  The key clause if I remembered correctly is the "interstate commerce."  This view was dropped during the late 70's.  Currently, you do not need to have a FFL to complete a private transaction (between you and the seller).  Unless, your state is that completely f#*!ked up.  Only local laws has to be followed in the private transaction.  In the mean time, sue them bastards.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Dad and I collect M1 carbines.  Did you sell it or do you still have it.  Drop me an e-mail if it is still for sale.  We could work out some adoption papers.

Love those war babies
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a licensed CCW holder. I resent and think it's unreasonable not to be allowed to carry a concealed handgun into a gunshow. Same thing with the gun shops with the signs on the door, "No Loaded Firearms -- except active duty police."

I'm legal to carry into a public school in Oregon, why not a gun shop or a gun show?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The gun shows are "private property" and you
HAVE to observe their rules. I would have turned around and walked out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:51:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Angry Ken in PRK:
Dad and I collect M1 carbines.  Did you sell it or do you still have it.  Drop me an e-mail if it is still for sale.  We could work out some adoption papers.

Love those war babies
View Quote

sorry, i sold it! (inland, all original, 1943)

thanx for the feedback, i guess the point is, PRIVATE party! it just seems wierd that in the same county, i can sell a rifle through the newspaper, without ANY hassles. is this the "loophole" the grabbers are trying to close???
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top