Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2004 5:32:17 PM EDT
Gad I love West Virginia. We just moved here a few weeks ago and I finally got around to strapping on the 1911 and open carrying around town in Berkeley Springs doing chores for the first time.  No one gave me a second look.  I got my hair cut and the barber told me to come back anytime, even if I didn't need a haircut. We went to Right Aid to get pictures, and my sister was overcharged for them and the manager cut the price for us, and was very nice to the guy wearing a pistol. We went all over that day, and no one even blinked.  I admit I felt an added level of responsibility carrying open. Like I should be on my best behavior, and level of alertness should be higher.  I felt like a free man.  
It was a good day.  Quite a difference from walking the streets in the PR of Maryland. The very attitude of the people here is different.  People are polite, and expect the same from you.  I have met some truly good people here.
God bless America.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
But you do lose the element of surprise.  I guess the deterent factor may cancel this out....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always wondered about people's reaction to open carry.  I believe they just assume you are a police officer.  Maybe that's why no one really reacts to it.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, Doc, I hope you enjoy life in Free America. Must be nice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I admit I felt an added level of responsibility carrying open. Like I should be on my best behavior, and level of alertness should be higher.  I felt like a free man.  

I can second that! When I lived in NC and CO, I kept a gun in my car. I always felt a heightened level of responsibility.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to do it as an leo, but it got old. now i just conceal carry.  i got tired of the question "how does it feel"
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
But you do lose the element of surprise.  I guess the deterent factor may cancel this out....

This may be true, but honestly, I carried for very little other reason than because I have that right.  I just wanted to breath in the free air so to speak.  I will have my CCW soon. In the mean time, this was a very nice exercise in, "I have the basic human right to defend myself and my loved ones from harm." Other people see that and remember they too have that right. At least in my little brain.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a conversation with a firefighter once while wearing a USP on my thigh. I was 17 at the time too, looked like Ii could be 18. He must have noticed, cause we were out there shooting. He didnt seem to care though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I admit I felt an added level of responsibility carrying open. Like I should be on my best behavior, and level of alertness should be higher.  I felt like a free man.  

God bless America.

Amen!  I am very happy you are able to have this experience.  Your thoughts are exactly correct.  With CCW comes added responsibility.  This responsibility is what all of the non-free states cannot see.

Unfortunately, things aren't so good here and they are about to get worse. (Barak Obama)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
CONGRATS, I wish Oklahoma had Open carry in public....

We have a CWL which is GREAT, but I still long for OPEN CARRY.......
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that I would get a lot of strange looks around here if I was to open carry. Especially since I look younger.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah here in Maine I carry open sometimes. I think people assume I/you are LE and hence no second look.  But sometimes there are those who do look & worry . . .
There aren't many people in Maine who carry open even though you can. Not sure why this is either.
Although I prefer to carry concealed and that makes me feel like a free man, b'cuz I can.
I don't like people looking at me, when they do . . . wondering what's up with this guy.
I would rather have the element of surprise and not attract attention. But that is just me.
I like to blend in & look like everyone else & I don't need the attention b'cuz I'm already famous
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
West Virginia is a great gun state but the economy sucks and my family had to leave.

Congrats on leaving Maryland, though.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#13]
good thing about being federal leo, is that you can carry where ever you damn please, schools, banks, bars (as long as youre not drinking).  anywhere.

only thing that sucks is that unclae sam owns you
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember when rifles hardly generated a second thought when hung behind the seats in plain sight in a pickup...even in my highschool's parking lot.  A rifle may as well have been fuzzy dice hanging from a rear-view-mirror.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#16]
"An armed society is a polite society"

- BG
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
West Virginia is a great gun state but the economy sucks and my family had to leave.

CRC

I'm sorry to hear that. It is true that the economy is worse here than most other places.  It's too bad you had to leave. Thinking about leaving this place, after experiencing it, is pretty hard for me to imagine.
Though the economic scale is different here, priorities are different as well.  My neighbor grew up in utter poverty in central West Virginia. He said when he was a boy, LBJ came and told them they were poor. He said it shocked him. He said they didn't know they were poor. They had never been hungry, or really wanted for much, designer clothes and such things were never an issue. Hunting and fishing were everywhere, and if they needed food, they went and got it.  After considering what he said, I had to reevaluate a few things I had previously thought important.
Everyone has their own priorities. This is a different place.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What it is, is that them hill billies thought you was a revenueer, so they are being nice to you so you won't raid thier still.

ROFLMAO!!

My wife wants to build a still now, and my neighbor wants to help her. Moonshine is still big here.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC

I'm sorry to hear that. It is true that the economy is worse here than most other places.  It's too bad you had to leave. Thinking about leaving this place, after experiencing it, is pretty hard for me to imagine.
Though the economic scale is different here, priorities are different as well.  My neighbor grew up in utter poverty in central West Virginia. He said when he was a boy, LBJ came and told them they were poor. He said it shocked him. He said they didn't know they were poor. They had never been hungry, or really wanted for much, designer clothes and such things were never an issue. Hunting and fishing were everywhere, and if they needed food, they went and got it.  After considering what he said, I had to reevaluate a few things I had previously thought important.

dont wnat to get off topic here but i happen to live in the poorest counties in the country hidalgo and starr, but evry one has a 4x4 hmm something fishy there
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#20]
There are a lot of welfare idiots in WV that want to sue the crap out of everybody.

Lots of corruption in state government.

WV has had more people leave since 1980 than move there.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
It's odd.  You really NEVER hear about West Virgina.  

I open carried for a short time here one day, with my USP45f on my hip.  I came straight from the gun range, and went to pick up something to eat from this great little place.  I got out of my vehicle, walked up to the place.  Two women out front of the place looked at me kind of strangely as I walked passed.  The guys running the joint I'm sure recognized me, since I'm in there often.  They didn't think twice or say anything.  I did however notice they seemed to give me a little more respect.  They were very prompt with everything they did behind the counter.  A few more people (some with kids) came in while I was waiting in line.  They noticed, but didn't say anything or really think twice about it.  One kid was looking at the pistol and then at me.  I got my stuff, walked back out to my vehicle.  On my way, a dad and his two daughters were walking by.  He looked at me strangely.  I live in an area of Charlotte that doesn't have much crime at all.  So I feel odd carrying openly.  People I'm sure will say, "why the fuck does he need that with him"  Truth is, I've run into a few problems, one was in a VERY nice shopping area, some joker pulled behind my car, threatening me, right up in my window, saying, "you don't know if I could have a fucking gun" I never saw one, but hey you never know.  This was also 2 years before I purchased my first pistol (USP).  Another incedent was road rage, same area, guy tried pinning me between his car and the curb, he started getting out of his car, I had just enough space to smash the gas and bolt.  Also, 2 years prior to my first pistol purchase.  I feel a lot better having it on me, even though crime isn't too common in this area.  Because you never know when shit's going to hit the fan.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Man... It sucks that we don't have open carry in Texas.  We do have CCW (CHL)... but we have the most expensive fees in the nation for it.

I'd love it if I could just strap my 1911 on my hip when I go to the store.  I'd LOVE the reactions, since my city has a fair share of libs that moved here from other states.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I open carried into a Subway in York, Pennsylvania.  I was wearing shorts & t-shirt, but I'm big with a military/PD looking haircut.

The guys working said "YES SIR.  What can we get you SIR?  Anything else SIR.  Have a good day SIR".

Felt kinda good.  Especially after 11 years of living in the PR of Maryland
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, it did feel kind of good.  I've only done it that one time.  I should do it more often I guess.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah, it did feel kind of good.  I've only done it that one time.  I should do it more often I guess.  

They can arrest you in NC for "going armed to the terror of the public".

This law sucks and I would never open carry here.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I actually had a one on one converstion with a local county police officer that was at the range I go to.  I asked him EVERY conceivable question one could ask about open carrying here in my county/state.  He said they cannot arrest you and will not.  Most they can do is tell you to leave the owners property if the owner/manage of whatever property/business doesn't like you being in there with your visible firearm.

Edit to add : All the guys at the range that run the place said the same thing.  They open carry quite frequently.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Gad I love West Virginia. We just moved here a few weeks ago and I finally got around to strapping on the 1911 and open carrying around town in Berkeley Springs doing chores for the first time.  No one gave me a second look.  I got my hair cut and the barber told me to come back anytime, even if I didn't need a haircut. We went to Right Aid to get pictures, and my sister was overcharged for them and the manager cut the price for us, and was very nice to the guy wearing a pistol. We went all over that day, and no one even blinked.  I admit I felt an added level of responsibility carrying open. Like I should be on my best behavior, and level of alertness should be higher.  I felt like a free man.  
It was a good day.  Quite a difference from walking the streets in the PR of Maryland. The very attitude of the people here is different.  People are polite, and expect the same from you.  I have met some truly good people here.
God bless America.

What??? You weren't arrested by the police for causing a disturbance? You weren't shot on sight? The bad guys didn't shoot you first because you were a threat? Nobody took you own gun and shot you with it? Well I'll be damned, that's what everybody seems to think will happen if you open carry.

I've personally been doing it for many years and none of those things happened to me either. Go figure.

Where are you in the Mountain State? Originally from Nitro myself.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#28]
The security guard in Wallmart used to follow me around. Dont know what he thought he might do as he was unarmed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can arrest you in NC for "going armed to the terror of the public".

This law sucks and I would never open carry here.

CRC

I forgot to quote on my other post above, but anyway, I also forgot to mention on my way to the range that same day, I had my pistol, loaded, and laying on the seat next to me, openly because I'm open carrying that day, and I get pulled over.  I simply let the officer know I had it in the vehicle and visible, he said, "ok" came up to the window, I pointed it out to him before I went for my wallet, he's still saying "ok" I hand him my license and he asks for the pistol, does a check on it.  Comes back 5 minutes later, hands me my license, and hands me the pistol, slide back, hands me the loaded mag, and says have a nice day.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I like keeping the element of surprise, too. But is harder to conceal in the summer and keep your weapon quickly accesible. My favorite time of the year to carry is in the fall, when you can wear your gun on your hip, with a longsleeve shirt ovet it like a light jacket. Other wise I usually don't carry, since we don't have open carry here.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I go to Virginia Tech. Open carry off-campus on numerous occasions. Questions from fellow students but no fear from them. I even spoke to a cop while open carrying. Never a negative response. Of course, I wore the gun - I never made a move towards it or did anything to scare people (ie. brandishing).

I think it is important that for those of us who choose to open carry we not only carry but dress nice, speak well, etc. We are the spearhead for gun rights in many places. Remember, if people meet and greet us, and get more cofoartable around guns in society they are less likely to become an active anti. (They might still not like the idea, but they are less likely to campaign actively against pro-gun legislation, etc.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I think the benefits of Open Carry outweigh any perceived advantages in Concealed.

Benefits of Open Carry:

1) deterrance effect - bad guy KNOWS you are a risk to him

2) public gets used to seeing people with guns

3) easier to carry

4) no risk of accidently flashing
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I think the benefits of Open Carry outweigh any perceived advantages in Concealed.

Benefits of Open Carry:

3) easier to carry

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#34]
WHen I lived in NC, I was driving up 43 through Greenville, and had 2 pistols on the dash, my 1911, and my wife's Glock 19. A state trooper pulled up next to us a the last light before 43 opened back up to a major highway.
He looked over and saw the pistols on the dash, and droped in behind me.
He stayed on my ass for about 5 min., and ran my plates. I could tell by the way he kept looking down and to his right in my rear view mirror.
After finding out that I had no WW's, he pulled around to my left and pulled up paralell to me, shot me a dirty look, and took off.

His fishing expedition didn't pay off, and he was pissed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
WHen I lived in NC, I was driving up 43 through Greenville, and had 2 pistols on the dash, my 1911, and my wife's Glock 19. A state trooper pulled up next to us a the last light before 43 opened back up to a major highway.
He looked over and saw the pistols on the dash, and droped in behind me.
He stayed on my ass for about 5 min., and ran my plates. I could tell by the way he kept looking down and to his right in my rear view mirror.
After finding out that I had no WW's, he pulled around to my left and pulled up paralell to me, shot me a dirty look, and took off.

His fishing expedition didn't pay off, and he was pissed.

Gee, that's funny he didn't arrest you..... [/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

had 2 pistols on the dash, my 1911, and my wife's Glock 19.

Well that sounds real damned safe.    NOT.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

had 2 pistols on the dash, my 1911, and my wife's Glock 19.

Well that sounds real damned safe.    NOT.  

BOth were in holsters, and it is perfectly legal.

ANd it's the best place to open carry in a car. Cop can see it (them) when approaching the car from the rear.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Benefits of Open Carry:

3) easier to carry

While I agree with you on #2 and I have a CCW here and PA, it sucks when some stupid ass sheeple of a manager puts up a sign the next day that says "No Firearms".
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

ANd it's the best place to open carry in a car. Cop can see it (them) when approaching the car from the rear.

Slam on the brakes or get hit and where do they go?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

While I agree with you on #2 and I have a CCW here and PA, it sucks when some stupid ass sheeple of a manager puts up a sign the next day that says "No Firearms".

Ah, but eventually things would get sorted out.   If enough people quit frequenting those businesses.........
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Heck, I open carry to the bank sometimes here and no one even notices.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like in some of the states you guys live in.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Open carry is just plain dumb.  You see it from time to time here in Az.  Most of the guys who do it are wana be tough guys or broke ass white trash who dont want to pay for a CCW.  

I was in a Walmart and about came unglued.  This piece of white trash shit was walking around with a 1911 in a horizontal shoulder holster.  Muzzle sweeping everyone in behind him.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess that you've never been on 43? Except for greenville. it's open road. Nothing to hit or get hit by.

LIve in fear of accidents all your life, and you have no life.

Guess that you don't like rifle racks either....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I bet it feels like your walking around with you dick hanging out with a 1911 one must feel like he hung like a bull elk

2IDdoc what 1911 do you carry

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC

dont wnat to get off topic here but i happen to live in the poorest counties in the country hidalgo and starr, but evry one has a 4x4 hmm something fishy there

+1

In my hood, it's common to see a 60+ year old renthouse, needing to be condemned, with three illegal families living inside, a dozen or more kids between 'em [and more on the way, once the girls hit 15 or so], but there's an Escalade, Expedition w/20's, two superduty 4x4's, and a Tahoe out front.

WTF?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Man... It sucks that we don't have open carry in Texas.  We do have CCW (CHL)... but we have the most expensive fees in the nation for it.

I'd love it if I could just strap my 1911 on my hip when I go to the store.  I'd LOVE the reactions, since my city has a fair share of libs that moved here from other states.  

Not hardly.  TX charges $140 for four years.  That's $35 a year.  NM is $100 every two years.

Think again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Benefits of Open Carry:

3) easier to carry

#1 You also point yourself out as the first target in a "situation".
#2 I have hard time believing you are going to condition anyone to anything.  People are sheeple.
#3 Not easier for me, just the same.  On my belt, strong side hip.  
#4 TRUE
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#50]

I consider open carry to be asking for trouble.  I realize most here do not see it that way, but I don't believe it solves any problems that CCW and good situational awareness do not already solve.  

SinistralRifleman's post from a few months back is a good example of what I am talking about.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top