Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2004 5:23:17 PM EDT
Today picking up old lady at college walking back to car when some short fat hippey with a pony tail yells "your going to lose in Iraq" and then starts walking in the opposite direction. (I guess he figured I was in the military because of my haircut and army shirt)

I yell at him "what the fuck did you say man?" he just keeps walking then I yell that  "Your a traitor and a coward and you should get the fuck out of this country"

Then he turns around and says you can't talk to me like that "I WAS IN VIETNAM and I know we are going to lose this war too"

I was pretty pissed off and told him, "the reason we lost vietnam was because of pussies like you who gave up" he just walked off.

GF was pissed but I was in a real bad mood and didn't want to be fucked with!

then on the ride home I started to think maybe that was over the line, oh well thats a fucked up thing to say to someone in the service
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
probably shoulda shined it on even before you found out he was a Vietnam vet.

But who an I to talk.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldnt say that was being to mean. He asked for it by insulting you. I give everyone who is or has ever been in the service A LOT of respect, but that doesn't give him the right to insult you like that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

But who an I to talk.

vet or not you dont tell a soldier he is going to lose a war...

and a vet should know better its not like I planned the war, I just go where I am told and try to make the best of it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I am basing this on my own experience from what my father has mentioned to me, and he was in Vietnam.

Guys who tell whomever will listen that they were Vietnam Vets propably never served.  The more embellished their accounts are about what they did the less likely the actually really did much at all.  I know quite a few guys who were pilots in Vietnam and the only time you hear them talk about Vietnam is when they are together sitting around a camp fire and when they do talk about it, it's not the main topic of discussion.  I believe this is quite common amongst combat vets, they will talk about their experiences with other combat vets and rarely with those that are not.

Just my observations from personal experience.  Not meant to piss anyone off.

So I think you did the right thing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#6]
He was likly one of the self proclaimed Vietnam vets, IE: one who was never incountry.
I have meet a few who when pressed could not come up with a unit or place, then admitted to being a REMF sitting in germany.
(For the record I was a REMF in berlin during the 80's.  )
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
john kerry thinks and hopes we lose iraq, would you feel bad telling him that?  

he was probably a cook
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn I wish I would have asked what unit he was in!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I doubt he ever served AT ALL, never mind being a Vietnam vet. Even a POS draftee who didn't want to be there wouldn't talk that way to somebody currently serving. He's just a hippie scumbag, nothing more. You did well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#11]

"I WAS IN VIETNAM and I know we are going to lose this war too"

He never said he SERVED in Vietnam -- he was probably there with Jane Fonda.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]
As a Vietnam Veteran myself, I think you should have kicked his ass too, since we tend to be a little thick-headed sometimes.

He was, after all, picking a fight with you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But who an I to talk.

vet or not you dont tell a soldier he is going to lose a war...

and a vet should know better its not like I planned the war, I just go where I am told and try to make the best of it.

I agree. What my post meant was you probably should have just ignored the asshole.

He was asking for an arguement.

Remember, when the masochist begged to be beaten, Piccolo, the true sadist,  said 'no'.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If every worn out, old, hippy looking, pony tail wearing, jack ass who claims to have been in Viet Nam, had ever been assigned to Viet Nam, the entire country would have had to been used as Barracks.

ETA: I haven't ran across many Veti Nam vets who are that quick to shout about our country losing anything, I have seen lots of wannabes who never served at all, that claim to be Viet Nam vets talking about how we lost though.

So how do I know if my History teacher is telling the truth.... cause he spouts the typical liberal shit, but seems to be wayyy too involved in vets' groups to be a poser.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Regardless if he needed his ass kicked, I believe your response was not only inaccurate, but very insulting to those who DID serve in vietnam. I do not believe we 'lost' the war nor do I believe that if we did, that it was the fault of the soldiers.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Regardless if he needed his ass kicked, I believe your response was not only inaccurate, but very insulting to those who DID serve in vietnam. I do not believe we 'lost' the war nor do I believe that if we did, that it was the fault of the soldiers.

Just my $.02

they could've used better cooks over there
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just my $.02

IMHO
I think many of the problems we had in vietnam were due to un disciplined soldiers that didn't want to be there.
I think the attitude of the hippey was a big problem with alot of the draftees.

I can't really blame them I think it should be volunteer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my $.02

IMHO
I think many of the problems we had in vietnam were due to un disciplined soldiers that didn't want to be there.

You're a dumbass on so many levels. You think, you think this and that but you don't know. Why don't you shut up and ask people who do know, then you will become educated as opposed to just a mouth.

We lost in Viet Nam because we were on the side of the rich, land owners and dictators, not on the side of the people.

The people were revolutionaries, just like our founding fathers. They threw off the French, then they threw off the puppets of the French, then they made it so tough on us we had to leave.

We will lose in Iraq if the people there want us to. If they want an Islamic fundamentalist state, that's what it will be. If they want a democracy that's what it will be.

And by the way, did you know that 40% of our troops in Iraq are NG and Reserves? How many of them do you think "want" to be there? How many volunteered for that kind of duty?

Do you really think they are the 'gung ho' troopers you envision our army in Iraq to be?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a deep breath and let it go. There were a lot of assholes as well as heroes who served in RVN I have met a lot of both.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#21]
WE DIDN'T LOSE IN VIETNAM
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I am basing this on my own experience from what my father has mentioned to me, and he was in Vietnam.

Guys who tell whomever will listen that they were Vietnam Vets propably never served.  The more embellished their accounts are about what they did the less likely the actually really did much at all.  I know quite a few guys who were pilots in Vietnam and the only time you hear them talk about Vietnam is when they are together sitting around a camp fire and when they do talk about it, it's not the main topic of discussion.  I believe this is quite common amongst combat vets, they will talk about their experiences with other combat vets and rarely with those that are not.

That's how I've been seeing it. NONE of the people I know to have served in Vietnam talk about it in detail. My wife's father is one example. He only recently was able to talk to my daughter about it.
Only thing I've personally ever heard him say was in response to some news broadcast showing the swift boats, and he said that's sort of what he served on.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]
In a Heinlein novel, you'd have killed him on the spot and been completely justified.  I really do think Heinlein was on to something there.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#24]
$10 says he was never in VN.

No offense...but most of those guys are old by now.

Sgtar15

PS  No offense Ed Sr, Da_Bunny, and the rest...

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

"I WAS IN VIETNAM and I know we are going to lose this war too"

He never said he SERVED in Vietnam -- he was probably there with Jane Fonda.

Good point.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't care if the guy was at Khe Sanh, he's still a fucking asshole and deserves to be yelled at.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And by the way, did you know that 40% of our troops in Iraq are NG and Reserves? How many of them do you think "want" to be there? How many volunteered for that kind of duty?

Every single one of them, there is not a soldier Sailor, Airman or Marine left in service who id there because they were drafted, every single one of them went to a recruiter and signed up. And if the Viet Namese hated us so bad, and despised us so much, why did the North Viet Namese kill and imprison millions of South Viet Namese? What lost that war was a apathetic US population and hippies making lots of noise. Propaganda lost that war.

Another clueless one heard from. Hippies lost the Vietnamese war! How dumb is that? Nixon, McNamara,  Agnew, Westmoreland, but it was hippies who lost the war. I was there. I saw the way the Vietnamese people looked at us.

A little example for you. We would kick the VC or NVA out of an area where the people had been working the land. A week later, here comes the old landlord riding at the head of a column of American tanks to resume his position. No need to wonder why they hated us, and it had nothing to do with hippies.

Edited to add: I don't think I have ever read a more ignorant or inflamatory post. It reads like a cut and paste from teh worker party of the world, or some crap like that, or maybe the DU. And yes our forces in Iraq are really the gung ho baddas MFers we think they are, they are all volunteers, serving thier country wich is something that this jackass probably can't comprehend.

Really? I take it you haven't heard about the lawsuits initiated over extended tours? The complaints about repeated tours?

Have you ever served in the military? If you had, you'd know that rah rah is  crap. A professional soldier goes about his or her job in a professional manner. They carry out their mission efficiently and looking forward to when they can come off the line. Only the slightly crazy enjoy risking their lives day after day. Most count the days until its someone else's turn to risk their lives.

You need to gain a bit of experience in the real world of the combat arms. Most armchair toopers have a romaticized view of infantry combat that disappears with the first engagement. When the caps start popping overhead all that gung ho baloney goes right out the window and you start thinking of how you're going to come out of the engagement alive while still doing what you have to do. Don't believe me? Talk to a few who have actually been in combat and see if tell you they enjoyed being shot at and can't wait to do it again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Today picking up old lady at college walking back to car when some short fat hippey with a pony tail yells "your going to lose in Iraq" and then starts walking in the opposite direction. (I guess he figured I was in the military because of my haircut and army shirt)

I yell at him "what the fuck did you say man?" he just keeps walking then I yell that  "Your a traitor and a coward and you should get the fuck out of this country"

Then he turns around and says you can't talk to me like that "I WAS IN VIETNAM and I know we are going to lose this war too"

Hey..its not everyday you get to meet a bonifide member of the VietCong Special Forces who fought in such hell holes as Berkeley...buy him a cup of Starbucks and slip in some ExLax while he isn't looking...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#30]
He probably went to Woodstock too
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I doubt he ever served AT ALL, never mind being a Vietnam vet. Even a POS draftee who didn't want to be there wouldn't talk that way to somebody currently serving. He's just a hippie scumbag, nothing more. You did well.

So, those that were drafted and served in 'nam were POS???????????????
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my $.02

IMHO

How uneducated.  We lost the war because of the influence of people like Fonda and Kerry.  The American people did not want to pursue the war.  We never lost a major battle.

You sound like Kerry with your broad generalization of 'nam vets.  He said all that served there were murderers and you say all that served there were undisciplined hippies.

What a crock of shit from someone who has probably never been in the military at all.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
You need to gain a bit of experience in the real world of the combat arms. Most armchair toopers have a romaticized view of infantry combat that disappears with the first engagement. When the caps start popping overhead all that gung ho baloney goes right out the window and you start thinking of how you're going to come out of the engagement alive while still doing what you have to do. Don't believe me? Talk to a few who have actually been in combat and see if tell you they enjoyed being shot at and can't wait to do it again.

Organized chaos.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
How uneducated.  We lost the war because of the influence of people like Fonda and Kerry.  The American people did not want to pursue the war.  We never lost a major battle.

You sound like Kerry with your broad generalization of 'nam vets.  He said all that served there were murderers and you say all that served there were undisciplined hippies.

What a crock of shit from someone who has probably never been in the military at all.

The media's race to bring the war into Mr. & Mrs. America's livingroom in the most sensational way had a lot to do with it too.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#35]
elect him president; he was in nam, like kerry!

kinda harsh, but it falls under the 1st admendment
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
... There were a lot of assholes as well as heroes who served in RVN ...

+1 (though the phrase ‘a lot’ is debatable)

For anyone here who thinks that every last RVN vet was an honorable person, just remember the name “John Kerry”.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Did he have ketchup breath and a face like a horse?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck him, he had no right to abuse you
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1
That has been my experience...My dad was a marine (LCPL) stationed at FSB Ross from 70-71 (I think). He has 100% disability from agent orange exposure, so he has regular trips to the VA hospital and I get to see lots of vets. I have met lots of vets...heroes and posers, conservative and liberal vets, but none who were rude to me or ever made any derogatory comments about those who serve (aside from some @$$holes they may have served with or under.) Funny enough, even the 'then current' anti-war vets(against invading Iraq) who protested prior to the invasion, are now staunch supporters of the war.

sst7  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Militarily we lost, politically we won.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#41]
I think you were nice, my brother just got back from Iraq, I'm the one he told what happend over there, how some of his buddies died in his arms, I would of kicked the guys ass.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Today picking up old lady at college walking back to car when some short fat hippey with a pony tail yells "your going to lose in Iraq" <he shows he's a real POS right off the bat> and then starts walking in the opposite direction. (I guess he figured I was in the military because of my haircut and army shirt)

I yell at him "what the fuck did you say man?" he just keeps walking then I yell that  "Your a traitor and a coward and you should get the fuck out of this country" <he derserved it>

Then he turns around and says you can't talk to me like that "I WAS IN VIETNAM and I know we are going to lose this war too" <he's not just a POS, he's probably lying too>

I was pretty pissed off and told him, "the reason we lost vietnam was because of pussies like you who gave up" <I sure hope you NEVER say that to a real VN vet> he just walked off.

GF was pissed <to bad but they're like that sometimes> but I was in a real bad mood and didn't want to be fucked with!

then on the ride home I started to think maybe that was over the line <only one part>, oh well thats a fucked up thing to say to someone in the service<if he were a vet or really had been in VN, that 1 part where you fucked up would have resulted in something extremely unpleasant so he's a lying POS for sure>

"the reason we lost vietnam was because of pussies like you who gave up"

Edtied again - I'm giving up trying to say this in a friendly way so here goes....  DON"T EVER SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT TO ME PUP!  You'll have a grey-hair with a pony tail in your face pronto!

Last edit - You might not have seen this yet & was hoping for a response so we could debate but I have to go to work so - yep, you went off-target.  Hollering that to the bozo wouldn't have hurt him a bit but a real VN vet within hearing would have probably had a few words to say to you.  In direct response to your question "too tough", not at all.  Just, well, shall we say inarticulate?

Oh, what the heck.  Another edit - In this post you said "(I guess he figured I was in the military because of my haircut and army shirt)" but in another thread you said "I am currently infantry....".  Please help me understand?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Militarily we lost, politically we won.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...over?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Did I mention that I went to Ft. Campbell High School (we were the Fighting Falcons, not Eagles of any sort), and there were an awful lot of kids with parents who were not only Viet Nam vets, but still on active duty, more than a few of them back in teh same units they had served with in Viet Nam? This guy was teaching on Ft. Campbell in the late eighties lying about being in the 101st in Viet Nam.

Ahahahahahah! What a fucking asshat!

Good god, what a fucking moron...  He wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, eh?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every single one of them, there is not a soldier Sailor, Airman or Marine left in service who id there because they were drafted, every single one of them went to a recruiter and signed up. And if the Viet Namese hated us so bad, and despised us so much, why did the North Viet Namese kill and imprison millions of South Viet Namese? What lost that war was a apathetic US population and hippies making lots of noise. Propaganda lost that war.

Edited to add: I don't think I have ever read a more ignorant or inflamatory post. It reads like a cut and paste from teh worker party of the world, or some crap like that, or maybe the DU. And yes our forces in Iraq are really the gung ho baddas MFers we think they are, they are all volunteers, serving thier country wich is something that this jackass probably can't comprehend.

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my $.02

IMHO

You think WRONG, Our problem in RVN was politics and micro managing from Washington. You also have been watching to many fucking movies like Platoon. Do some real research and get your facts straight. We won the battles, we lost the War due to politics and POS's like Kerry, Rather and Fonda ect ect.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
$10 says he was never in VN.

No offense...but most of those guys are old by now.

Sgtar15

PS  No offense Ed Sr, Da_Bunny, and the rest...

Fuck You
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If every worn out, old, hippy looking, pony tail wearing, jack ass who claims to have been in Viet Nam, had ever been assigned to Viet Nam, the entire country would have had to been used as Barracks.

No shit.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Edtied again - I'm giving up trying to say this in a friendly way so here goes....  DON"T EVER SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT TO ME PUP!  You'll have a grey-hair with a pony tail in your face pronto!

Oh, what the heck.  Another edit - In this post you said "(I guess he figured I was in the military because of my haircut and army shirt)" but in another thread you said "I am currently infantry....".  Please help me understand?

Agreed it was stupid to say that but I was steamed.

Yeah currently 11Bravo thinking of changing my MOS.  The guy had no real proof that I was in the military my only guess at the reason he made a dumb comment was because he saw my shirt and probably assumed I was in.

Its not like a random hippey would just be yelling "were going to lose in Iraq" It was actually directed at me which I am guessing is because I looked like military.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#50]
You did fine.

I am sick and tired of people being assholes to decent people, and the decent people are expected to just smile and walk away.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top