Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 11:04:14 AM EDT
Does anybody think the gas prices are way too high?.   I know I sure wish I was an exec at a oil company I'm sure there getting a pretty bonus this year.  The state I live in is going to get worse with the price of gas the state goverment has a  proposal to put a 8 cent tax on gas to help pay to fix the roads.   The politicians  in harrisburgh already raised the taxes for next year and know there probably going to raise them more so we can pay for there increase in travel expense.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Ever think that the current gas prices are Opec's attempt to get bush out of office.

The arabs are afraid of him.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#3]
True, Never thought of that.  I'm just mad that harrisburgh wants to add .8 cents per gallon here.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, prices aren't set by what I *think* they should be.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

True, Never thought of that.  I'm just mad that harrisburgh wants to add .8 cents per gallon here.  

What bothers me is that the money won't end up fixing roads.  That I could support
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Did it ever occur to you, that the price of a barrel of crude is the same here as it is in China?

It has nothing to do with Local Oil CEOs bonus', or the Bush Administration's policies.
It's about supply, demand, and markets.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not talkking about the price of crude I mean gas.  Bush nor Opec have a control of the price of gas.  Oil exec set those.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm not talkking about the price of crude I mean gas.  Bush nor Opec have a control of the price of gas.  Oil exec set those.  

Based on supply & demand, cost of oil, etc....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#10]
...based on the price of crude.
Then the States and the Fed step in and add taxes.
Is it a coincidence that most gas stations in the same state have roughly the same prices?

Add to that the overhead of a high-value piece of real estate that the Gas Station sits on.  Add Property taxes.

If only it were as simple as a CEO boosting prices, so that he can buy new CAR.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#11]
All I'm saying is they could lower it alittle and not end up on Skid row. Like i might, then again you probably wish i would so I would STFU. LOL
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

All I'm saying is they could lower it alittle and not end up on Skid row. Like i might, then again you probably wish i would so I would STFU. LOL

Are you accusing them of excessive profit?   Or that they should cut their profit since things are tough?

If you think gas is bad, we're looking at increases of 18% for natural gas this winter, and 28% for fuel oil.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I just said they could lower it a few cents,  they have the right to make money I'm not trying to take that away from them.  Just saying help out this poor old SOB.     Well I know somebody that will have there heat to 60 degree this winter.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#14]
There is more than enough oil in the world. Though there are a series of issues.

1. OPEC controls the amount of oil pumped and shipped to control prices

2. Companies such as RAMCO (Saudis) own approximately 1/2 of the processing centers in the U.S. as well as holds a majority of shares in most of the gas stations in the country.

3. The LEFT wants to make sure there is less drilling, stop off shore activities, and hamper looking for oil sources at home.

4. There are different formulations of fuel around the country for different regulations.

5. TAXES (Diesel is one of the first things that comes out of processing though it is also the most expensive in many places (such as Kalifornia) it is taxed higher to make sure people won't buy diesel vehicles)

6. No politician wants to play hard ball with our off shore oil "allies."

7. GREED

Solution start driving solar powered death traps (Knowns as) Golf Carts and or because we don't have the balls to drill... go back to our roots and start hunting whales again for oil.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There is more than enough oil in the world. Though there are a series of issues.

2. Companies such as RAMCO (Saudis) own approximately 1/2 of the processing centers in the U.S. as well as holds a majority of shares in most of the gas stations in the country.

3. The LEFT wants to make sure there is less drilling, stop off shore activities, and hamper looking for oil sources at home.

4. There are different formulations of fuel around the country for different regulations.

5. TAXES (Diesel is one of the first things that comes out of processing though it is also the most expensive in many places (such as Kalifornia) it is taxed higher to make sure people won't buy diesel vehicles)

7. GREED

Solution start driving solar powered death traps (Knowns as) Golf Carts and or because we don't have the balls to drill... go back to our roots and start hunting whales again for oil.

Besides that we (tax payers) pay for their vehicles and gas............ the bums
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a big oil price bubble right now.  When the bubble bursts the price will tumble.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Does anybody think the gas prices are way too high.

Yes.  I paid $2.36 for the cheap stuff yesterday, and this is traditionally the slow season. Of course the oil execs have a bunch of excuses for this other than OPEC artificially limiting the supply of crude oil.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There is a big oil price bubble right now.  When the bubble bursts the price will tumble.

GunLvr

Wanna bet on that?   Demand is soaring, supply is tight.  What's going to improve that picture?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It has nothing to do with Local Oil CEOs bonus', or the Bush Administration's policies.

what a short sighted view.  First of all we could bitch slap OPEC into selling us crude at a fair price, that or we just take it.  The Republicans control the house, the senate, and the Whitehouse. So blaim pretty fairly falls on their shoulders when new refineries are not being built and OPEC bends US consumers over a barrel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does anybody think the gas prices are way too high.

Yes.  I paid $2.36 for the cheap stuff yesterday, and this is traditionally the slow season. Of course the oil execs have a bunch of excuses for this other than OPEC artificially limiting the supply of crude oil.

+1

Uhhhh...

Nigeria's in turmoil!

The Gulf (of Mexico)-based infrastructure still hasn't recovered from the hurricanes!

Oh yeah! China ran OUT of oil, and now they are competing with the US as the second largest importer of oil!

Yeah! That's it!

Oh, don't forget. A camel spiderin Saudi Arabia farted on the pipeline, and that caused a fear that oil supplies would be cut off due to pipeline damage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
punish tham and sell all your dam SUV's
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

it wouldnt change a thing.  If we all drove Geos that got 45MPG OPEC would just cut production to drive up prices even higher.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#25]
ARGHHHHH!!!!  I am so sick and tired of listening to everyone complain about the price of gas!  What price would make everyone happy?  How about $1.50 gal?  How about $1.00 gal!!!!  If you drive a lot, say 20 gallons/wk = $20/week.  Hardly enough of a savings to pay your cell phone or cable bill.  rant mode off
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you drive a lot, say 20 gallons/wk = $20/week.  Hardly enough of a savings to pay your cell phone or cable bill.  

My Gas bill this year:

Jan $323.45
Feb $153.02
Mar $212.25
Apr $203.25
May$173.24

Havent kept track since then, but its a hell of alot more than $20 a week.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what a short sighted view.  First of all we could bitch slap OPEC into selling us crude at a fair price, that or we just take it.  The Republicans control the house, the senate, and the Whitehouse. So blaim pretty fairly falls on their shoulders when new refineries are not being built and OPEC bends US consumers over a barrel.

Just take it, huh?
I'm sorry that I'M so shortsighted.  I should have thought of that.

Have you considered the existance of China?
Or that WE are not the only consumers of oil on the planet?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

it's more fun to kill them and steal their oil...but, sadly...your point is well taken.

alas, this is amerika, home of the biggest damn 'everything' on the planet...land where a man's dick is measured by the size lift kit and tires he crammed under his ferd exscusme.

I can tell you're from Ohio . You nailed it right on the head!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Price went up because of hurricanes in the gulf.We get oil other places besides the middle east
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#30]
That was $20/week extra over a $1/gal which it has not been in a long time and never will be again.  More realistic would be .50/gal less than current price.  Your biggest month is only $80 over a "normal" bill.

Yes, it is extra money.  But it is not gonna break anyone.  The friggin TV stations around here have these losers on complaining that they will not be able to afford to feed their children (Who's fat butts are sitting on the sofa talking on a cell watching cable in the background)

If gas was SOOOOO expensive, the highways would be clogged with Geo Metros, not Ford Excoursions.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

Wanna bet on that?   Demand is soaring, supply is tight.  What's going to improve that picture?

What kind of a bet are you talking about?  No soaring demand and tight supply is going to cause a 20 percent in one month price spike.  This is not supply and demand shifts driving $55 oil.  It's oil market speculation.  The speculators are bidding up the price of oil.  

You should look up Julian Simon.  Also look up the gold bubble in the late 1970s.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah well Thanki all the assholes who voted for Ed Rendell .... Because he likes the Eagles and Philly sports! He will be raising more Taxes before he runs for President in '08 !
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Any idea how much oil it would take to replace those millions of vehicles?

New steel, aluminum, tires, vinyl, plastics, foams, wiring, computers, etc.....

It would take decades for that to pay off even with double gas mileage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Price went up because of hurricanes in the gulf.We get oil other places besides the middle east

Arabs control OPEC,  yes oil comes from other places too, but they are also members of OPEC.

I don't see fuel refiners lowering their margins again,  If you look at current prices for oil and gas, oil barrels are$10+ higher then in june/july yet price are pretty much the same.   Which translates to they were in fact gouging before but are now trimming their profit margins.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

7. GREED

And the weather has done severe damage to the gulf-of-mexico offshore oil industry...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#36]
We are getting screwed on many levels by many diffrent people.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Monday, I watched the price of gas jump .12/gal alone, and that was just in the space of six hours.  I can understand a gradual increase in gas prices, but .12 in six hours is a little wrong.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#38]
On my way to work today I stopped to fill up at the shell station.  Sign said 2.02gal for v-power premium - Pump was still set at 1.99gal  

I run the v-power because I've found I can get 100 extra miles from 1 tank of it then with the regular gas at the other stations.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just take it, huh?

Yes.  The oil fields of Iraq and Kuwait rightfully belong to us. No US company should have to pay a dime for crude until those oil fields are drained dry.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#40]
I hate to break this bit of economic news to you....
But if we "took" those fields, the price of oil would actually rise.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top