Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2001 2:41:58 PM EDT
I remember a while back, some guys were talking about putting 55 gal drums end to end to keep the noise down.  Does this work?  When I shoot even though its on private property, it sounds like the world is coming to an end.  The neighbors havent complained but the women didnt like being shaken inside the house!
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you used some type of insulation it would work.Better yet use a long piece of culvert.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Layne Simpson, who writes for Shooting Times, published a picture of his drum set up many years ago.  He had three or four 55 gallon drums with the top and bottem cut out and welded together to form a big pipe.  Then he stacked old car tires in the drum to form the suppressor baffles.  Shooting through the center of the tires reduced the noise off the muzzle.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the ideas guys.  The noise factor is why I cant shoot sometimes because I dont want to disturb anyone.  I also dont want to spook the wildlife in the area. It would suck if the whitetails avoided your area!
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
What a considerate guy you are.  You'll commit a felony so as not to disturb your neighbors.

I read that in Norway and Germany, it's illegal NOT to use a silencer for hunting, for noise pollution reasons.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Contrary to popular belief, I have not found that shooting keeps the game away.  I shot a deer at my Dad's place one time about 2 minutes after shooting a string while sighting my gun in.  Another time at a freinds ranch, we fired machines guns with tracers all night until about 3:00 am.  At 6:00am we got up and one of the guys shot a buck there that morning.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Raven, Actually its not a felony. The guys on this board will tell you that if its not portable its legal.  Its not a silencer, that you put on the end of your gun. In some ofthe older posts, some of the members contacted the ATF and they dont see a problem with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
ARDOC, damn, and I was gonna tease this might be considered a supressor.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got video of a black tail buck that actually walked down a dirt embankment we using as a backstop while we were blasting away with ARs, an HK91, SKS, etc. I think it must have had earmites or something. It wouldn't even run off when I was shooting near it's feet to try and scare it off.

Would raven also suggest than an underground range built so as not to disturb the neighbors be illegal, too?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 1:53:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Contrary to popular belief, I have not found that shooting keeps the game away.  I shot a deer at my Dad's place one time about 2 minutes after shooting a string while sighting my gun in.  Another time at a freinds ranch, we fired machines guns with tracers all night until about 3:00 am.  At 6:00am we got up and one of the guys shot a buck there that morning.
View Quote

With the machine gun?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:03:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I read that in Norway and Germany, it's illegal NOT to use a silencer for hunting, for noise pollution reasons.
View Quote

In Germany it is illegal to have a silencer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#12]
While weapons training at Camp Pendleton, CA before being shipped to Vietnam our instructor signaled us to stop firing and at this time I a saw one of the biggest buck's I've ever seen walk from right to left across the target area as if it did not have a care in the world. We were shooting the M14 Rifles, M60 MG and M79 Grenade Launchers at the time. This was in 1968
around 0900 in the morning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top