Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 8:31:38 AM EDT
One of my old SSGT's emailed this to me this morning and I thought I'd share it.

"The Marine Corps and Psychotherapy" by Fred Reed

Tell you what; I've had it with whiners.  Further, if I hear the phrase "self-esteem" again, I'm going to kill something. It'll happen. Just wait. Some New Age psychotherapeutically babbling little parsnip is going to gurgle to me about how arduous his life is, when he probably doesn't have a life to begin with, and about how it's somebody else's fault, probably mine, and his self-esteem is all bruised and rancid and has warts on it.  And I'm going to stuff him into a concrete mixer.  No, wait.  I've got a better idea.  I'll pack him off instead to Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, in the festering mosquito swamps of South Carolina.

I spent a summer there long ago, in a philosophy battalion.  All battalions at PI are philosophy battalions.  The chief philosopher was named Sergeant Cobb, and he was rough as one.  His philosophy was that at oh-dark-thirty we should leap up like spring-loaded jackrabbits when he threw the lid of a GI can down the squad bay.  Then, he figured we should spend the day at a dead run, except when we were learning such socially useful behavior as shooting someone at five hundred yards.  He didn't care whether we wanted to do these things.  He didn't care whether we could do them.  We were going to do them.  And we did.

The drill instructors had a sideline in therapy.  They did attitude adjustment.  If the urge to whine overcame any of us, Sergeant Cobb took his attitude tool -- it was a size-twelve boot on the end of his right leg -- and made the necessary adjustments.  It was wonderful therapy.  It put us in touch with our feelings.  We felt like not whining any more.  I kid about it, but it really was philosophy.  We learned that there are things you have to do. We learned that we could generally do them.  We also learned, if we didn't already know, that whimpering is humiliating.

The Marine view of life, which if widely applied, would eradicate American politics in about three seconds, was simple: Solve your problems, live with them, or have the grace to shut up about them.  Can you imagine what this would do to the talk-show racket? Fat housewife to Oprah:  "My... I just can't... being so... heavy hurts my self-esteem." Oprah: "So stop sniveling and eat less.  Next."

The Corps believed in personal responsibility.  If your life had turned into a landfill, it might be somebody else's fault.  Maybe existence had dropped the green weenie on your plate.  It happens.  But the odds were that you had contributed to your own problems.  Anyway, everybody gets a raw deal sometime.  Life isn't a honeymoon in the Catskills.  Deal with it.  I remember a coffee mug in an armored company's day room: "To err is human, to forgive, divine.  Neither of which is Marine Corps policy." There's something to be said for it.

Nowadays everybody's a self-absorbed victim, and self-respect and strength of character have become symptoms of emotional insufficiency.  Oh, alas, alack, sniffle, seek, squeak, the world's picking on me because I'm black, brown, ethnic, fat, female, funny-looking, dysfunctional, data functional, don't use deodorant, or can't get dates.  And sensitive?  Dear God.  If people suffer the tiniest slight, they call for a support group and three lawyers.  Support groups. When I'm dictator, we'll use 'em for bowling pins.

Whatever happened to grown-ups?  It's incredible the things people whine about.  Go to the self-pity section of your bookstore.  It's usually called "Self Help." You'll find books called things like, "The Agony of Hangnails: A Survivor's Guide." They will explain coping strategies, and assure you that you are still a good person, shredding digits and all. Other books will tell you that because you had an unhappy childhood (who didn't?) you are now an abused, pallid, squashed little larva, and no end pathetic.  Other books will tell you how not to be toxic to your Inner Child.  I'm writing a book now: "Dropping Your Inner Child Down A Well."  We'd be better off if most people's inner children were orphans.

I once sat in on somebody else's group-therapy session, which was concerned about the morbid condition of the patients' self-esteem.  I didn't understand the rules of therapy, and said approximately, "Look, maybe if you folks stopped feeling sorry for yourselves and got a life, things might be better."  I thought I was contributing an insight, but it turned out to be the wrong answer.  The therapist, an earnest lady -- all therapists seem to be earnest ladies -- told me firmly, and with much disappointment in me, that this was No Laughing Matter.  The patients' self-esteems were undergoing cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and I was suggesting that they get a life instead of picking at their psychic scabs.  She reckoned I was pretty terrible.  I say, stuff' em into a concrete mixer
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Over 30 reviews and not one comment?  Come on, I thought this was good.  Hitting too close to home, or what?

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm writing a book now: "Dropping Your Inner Child Down A Well."  

I would like to see that book.  Good read.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At last a response!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#4]

The Marine view of life, which if widely applied, would eradicate American politics in about three seconds, was simple: Solve your problems, live with them, or have the grace to shut up about them. Can you imagine what this would do to the talk-show racket? Fat housewife to Oprah: "My... I just can't... being so... heavy hurts my self-esteem." Oprah: "So stop sniveling and eat less. Next."

This was a pretty good line there leather neck.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I feel that way everyday...  I can't stand winers.  All other former Marines I know are the same.  That is all.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Gunny Hartman couldn't have said it better, good read!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Excellent essay. The book should be called "Spank Your Inner Child." I am pretty reserved emotionally. Do you think it does any good? Hell, no. If I say to my wife in a conversational tone "That is unacceptable," she says "Why are you yelling at me?" I ask, "Did I raise my voice?" Her reply: "It's the same thing."
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I deal with frickken whiners all day at both of my jobs. The worst seem to be middle aged, middle class females who suffer from the dreaded fibromyalgia.

I transported a 14 year old female a few months back. She had literally ran into traffic without looking, and got smacked by a car at low speed. She wasn't really hurt, but both she and her mother were hysterical.  For the first 5 minutes or so of the transport, this little girl kept wailing "Oh why does this have to happen to me? why me?" over and over again. I finally leaned down close to her ear and very softly said (ever want to make someone who is yelling stop and listen instead? Speak very softly.) "this happened to you because you ran into traffic on a busy road without looking." Her mother hit the roof. How DARE I say such a thing???? I ended up being sent to "sensitivity" training over that. Facts don't matter, only feelings matter. People shouldn't actually take any RESPONSABILITY for their actions! Would you like to hear how that makes me feel?

My favorate T-shirt says, in big block letters, "I AM NOT YOUR SOCIAL WORKER".
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Excellent essay. The book should be called "Spank Your Inner Child." I am pretty reserved emotionally. Do you think it does any good? Hell, no. If I say to my wife in a conversational tone "That is unacceptable," she says "Why are you yelling at me?" I ask, "Did I raise my voice?" Her reply: "It's the same thing."

Do you have any idea of the chaos that would be created if you titled a book called, "Spank your inner child"?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I deal with frickken whiners all day at both of my jobs. The worst seem to be middle aged, middle class females who suffer from the dreaded fibromyalgia.

I transported a 14 year old female a few months back. She had literally ran into traffic without looking, and got smacked by a car at low speed. She wasn't really hurt, but both she and her mother were hysterical.  For the first 5 minutes or so of the transport, this little girl kept wailing "Oh why does this have to happen to me? why me?" over and over again. I finally leaned down close to her ear and very softly said (ever want to make someone who is yelling stop and listen instead? Speak very softly.) "this happened to you because you ran into trafic on a busy road without looking." Her mother hit the roof. Hoe DARE I say such a thing???? I ended up being sent to "sensitivity" training over that. Facts don't matter, only feelings matter. Would you like to hear how that makes me feel?

After 14 years of being a Paramedic, I know exactly what you're saying!

It's funny that you mention about talking softly during a screaming match.  Iused to teach that in classes to newb's and most people just don't get it.  They think they need to scream louder to be heard.  In reality, most people want to hear what someone is saying and will STFU to hear a low voice.  It was part of de-escalating situations in my defensive tactics class.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I transported a 14 year old female a few months back. She had literally ran into traffic without looking, and got smacked by a car at low speed. She wasn't really hurt, but both she and her mother were hysterical.  For the first 5 minutes or so of the transport, this little girl kept wailing "Oh why does this have to happen to me? why me?" over and over again. I finally leaned down close to her ear and very softly said (ever want to make someone who is yelling stop and listen instead? Speak very softly.) "this happened to you because you ran into trafic on a busy road without looking." Her mother hit the roof. Hoe DARE I say such a thing???? I ended up being sent to "sensitivity" training over that. Facts don't matter, only feelings matter. Would you like to hear how that makes me feel?

After 14 years of being a Paramedic, I know exactly what you're saying!

It's funny that you mention about talking softly during a screaming match.  Iused to teach that in classes to newb's and most people just don't get it.  They think they need to scream louder to be heard.  In reality, most people want to hear what someone is saying and will STFU to hear a low voice.  It was part of de-escalating situations in my defensive tactics class.

We probably had similar classes. We had a "verbal judo" inservice some years ago. I was pretty skeptical at first, but a lot of the information was actually pretty good. I use a couple of the 'stripping phrases' pretty regularly, and realy have a lot of success using my own speech cadence and volume to calm situations down.

'Course when that fails, there's always RSI. People seldom give you crap when they're paralyzed and tubed
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#12]
RSI??

I started a company a few years back and developed a complete course from the ground up called Advanced Survival and Awareness Tactics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
RSI??

I started a company a few years back and developed a complete course from the ground up called Advanced Survival and Awareness Tactics.

[hijack]RSI = rapid sequence intubation or rapid sequence induction intubation. Great tool for those COPD'rs who are too tired to breathe on their own anymore and similar situations. 5 mg of versed for sedation, 1 to 2 mg / kg of sux to paralyze them and get rid of that pesky gag reflex, intubate. Sux paralyzes them fully, can't even breathe or blink on their own. I understand that it's a terrifying experience without sedation. We joke around about it, but I'd never actually abuse it as a tool.[/hijack]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#14]
BTW, I just noticed your sig line.  Back in the day, it was all dead people get Cal Chloride.  We used to say that with enough Cal Chl you could make a potato beat!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
RSI??

[hijack]RSI = rapid sequence intubation or rapid sequence induction intubation. Great tool for those COPD'rs who are too tired to breathe on their own anymore and similar situations. 5 mg of versed for sedation, 1 to 2 mg / kg of sux to paralyze them and get rid of that pesky gag reflex, intubate. Sux paralyzes them fully, can't even breathe or blink on their own. I understand that it's a terrifying experience without sedation. We joke around about it, but I'd never actually abuse it as a tool.[/hijack]

I used to use the same, just never referred to as RSI.  We used Valium before the Sux, though.  I've been out of practicing EMS for about 5 years now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#16]
PI = "Chicken Soup for the Soul".   Non-hackers need not apply.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Semper Fi

Amen!  Just don't forget about MCRD San Diego!

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#18]
"Do you want me to get your slippers for you?"

I am surrounded by phsycho drug using zombies that have to be tranked out of their minds because their sweet little mommies gave them chocolate cake instead of vanilla. I get so tired of EVERYONE talking about their meds. And then the assholes have the stomach to look down on someone drinking a beer. Fuck them and feed them fish heads.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#19]
The Eagles: get over it

I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"
They point their crooked little fingers ar everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat

Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if I gave you some cash
The more I think about it, Old Billy was right
Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight
You don't want to work, you want to live like a king
But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing

Get over it
Get over it
If you don't want to play, then you might as well split
Get over it, Get over it

It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak
You're makin' the most of your losin' streak
Some call it sick, but I call it weak

You drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down
Complain about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

Get over it
Get over it
All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

Get over it
Get over it
It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit
Get over it, get over it

Great post.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Eagles: get over it

I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"
They point their crooked little fingers ar everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat

Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if I gave you some cash
The more I think about it, Old Billy was right
Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight
You don't want to work, you want to live like a king
But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing

Get over it
Get over it
If you don't want to play, then you might as well split
Get over it, Get over it

It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak
You're makin' the most of your losin' streak
Some call it sick, but I call it weak

You drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down
Complain about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

Get over it
Get over it
All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

Get over it
Get over it
It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit
Get over it, get over it

Great post.

Sounds like marching cadence!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Over 30 reviews and not one comment?  Come on, I thought this was good.  Hitting too close to home, or what?

Semper Fi!

Hmm. Just didn't post a reply because I figured every Marine thinks like this.

In fact the plaque my unit gave me when I got out had one of my more famous/infamous quotes printed on it. "Quit your whining, you little bitch!"
Used to tell all the little boots who came to me straight from boot camp. Just in case it wasn't beat into them enough by their Drill Instructors.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Semper Fi!

Hmm. Just didn't post a reply because I figured every Marine thinks like this.

In fact the plaque my unit gave me when I got out had one of my more famous/infamous quotes printed on it. "Quit your whining, you little bitch!"
Used to tell all the little boots who came to me straight from boot camp. Just in case it wasn't beat into them enough by their Drill Instructors.

Hah!  I never got a plaque but I used that phrase many a times.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
5 mg of versed for sedation,

I fucking hate that shit.  I had a really, really bad experience w/ Versed not too long ago.

Memory blocker my ass....

(Sorry - still a little pissed about that.  Carry on!)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Semper Fi

Do you know of any 2112's who were in around 95'-96'?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Best line from a song (with the possible exception of ZZ Top's "Pure as the driven slush"):

I'd like to find your inner child,
and kick its little ass!

Don Henley, Get Over It  

Yeah, he's a liberal puke, but that's a great line.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Semper Fi!

'Hitting too close to home' is usually used as a criticism. Perhaps you used the phrase by mistake.

THIS Marine agrees with just about everything in that 'creative writing' essay.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
BTW, I just noticed your sig line.  Back in the day, it was all dead people get Cal Chloride.  We used to say that with enough Cal Chl you could make a potato beat!

But you can't pace meatloaf.

We're actually moving away from epi and going with vasopressin. Lasts 20 minutes instead of 2.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Semper Fi!

'Hitting too close to home' is usually used as a criticism. Perhaps you used the phrase by mistake.

THIS Marine agrees with just about everything in that 'creative writing' essay.

It was sarcastic criticism, Devil Dog.  Just not directed at fellow Leather Necks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fucking hate that shit.  I had a really, really bad experience w/ Versed not too long ago.

People have wierd reactions to drugs sometines. Still, versed seems a bit safer and more effective than valium for sedation in our venue.

Any chance you were just dosed too lightly?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Here we go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you can't pace meatloaf.

We're actually moving away from epi and going with vasopressin. Lasts 20 minutes instead of 2.

Ha, ha!  So true.  I've heard there has been a move away from epi as a first line cardiac drug and toward vassopressin.  Last I heard there was some controversy about it dramatically increasing myocardial O2 consumption, IIRC.  I may be misinformed, though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People have wierd reactions to drugs sometines, Still, versed seems a bit safer and more effective than valium for sedation in our venue.

Not sure.  Possibly too much?  It messed me up well past the 24 hour mark (30 or so),  I went to work the next morning and had to leave around 10:00.  When I went home and tried to sleep I laid on the bed and thrashed for about 2 hours - reliving pain I had been through the previous day.  It was just wierd.  Never had that kind of problems w/ wisdom teeth & several other outpatient procedures.

It's rather hard to explain but I didn't care for it. At all.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People have wierd reactions to drugs sometines. Still, versed seems a bit safer and more effective than valium for sedation in our venue.

Isn't Versed still a Benzodiazopine?  Same as Valium?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my inner child.

My inner child is a 9 year old pyromaniac with a penchant for belt-fed weapons and homemade napalm.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my inner child.

My inner child is a 9 year old pyromaniac with a penchant for belt-fed weapons and homemade napalm.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't Versed still a Benzodiazopine?  Same as Valium?

Yeah, but has a shorter half life. I've snowed people pretty completely with versed, and they've been good to go a few hours later. Anacdotally, (sp?) I understand it responds more quicckly to ramazacon if you need to reverse it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People have wierd reactions to drugs sometines, Still, versed seems a bit safer and more effective than valium for sedation in our venue.

Not sure.  Possibly too much?  It messed me up well past the 24 hour mark (30 or so),  I went to work the next morning and had to leave around 10:00.  When I went home and tried to sleep I laid on the bed and thrashed for about 2 hours - reliving pain I had been through the previous day.  It was just wierd.  Never had that kind of problems w/ wisdom teeth & several other outpatient procedures.

Thats pretty wierd and terrible. Some people metabolize drugs oddly, and wierd stuff happens.

I dated a RN anesthestist for a while, and she talked about 'surgical awaareness' , where a patient is lucid but paralyzed and unable to let anyone know they were aware. One of the worst things i can image experiencing.

Be sure to tell anyone who might medicate you about your experience. Lots of options open to (hopefully) avoid having to go through that again.

Jarhead, sorry to hijack the thread so badly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats pretty wierd and terrible. Some people metabolize drugs oddly, and wierd stuff happens.

I dated a RN anesthestist for a while, and she talked about 'surgical awaareness' , where a patient is lucid but paralyzed and unable to let anyone know they were aware. One of the worst things i can image experiencing.

Be sure to tell anyone who might medicate you about your experience. Lots of options open to (hopefully) avoid having to go through that again.

Jarhead, sorry to hijack the thread so badly.

No prob.  It was my thread to begin with and I pretty much did it myself.  In fact, more responses to this than the actual topic!

That's one thing about Sux, and most paralytics I believe, it only paralyzes the muscles, not the CNS.  The Pt. still knows what's going on when you tube them.  They just can't do anything about it.  I rarely used paralytics except for seizing head trauma.  Last resort before cryc'ing them.  You only get one shot when you use paralytics.  If you can't get them tubed, you've got to cryc. them.  COPD'ers I always nasal'ed if it got to that point.

ETA:  That was 1,000.  I guess I made it past Troll Suspicion!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top